Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off Field with FS Jonathan Dowling Comes to Light
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricAllen21

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tackling form can be taught...
Speed_Wrench

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
Also, no wonder his positional coach tore pieces off him. Not every player might not respond well to being shouted at but at some stage you just how to let loose as a coach if everything else hasn't worked. Who knows, maybe if they guy actually tried to tackle with his arms his coach wouldn't have shouted at him.

We don't even know if that was what he was being yelled at for, yes it's very possible and even likely but let's give our coaches a crack at him and see what they can find within, I see a very raw talent in Dowling that has a ton of potential just waiting to be found.
holyghost

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give him this - it's harder to teach fumble forcing skills than it is to teach a guy to open his arms and tackle. Some guys no matter what they do, they have no capacity to force the fumble. All this guy has to do is wake up and realize you gotta wrap up - even with one arm is a start. Pound the ball with the other arm.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corner
daineraider

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Corner

That is a skinny guy. Doesnt quite look at cool as Mack in the jersey.

Sigged by Jamison
Chali21

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Corner

That is a skinny guy. Doesnt quite look at cool as Mack in the jersey.

To be fair, who does?
daineraider

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Its not fair, but Dowling def. has some room to bulk up though.

Sigged by Jamison
G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Corner

Merton Hanks part deux
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:
^^^Its not fair, but Dowling def. has some room to bulk up though.

Why is it not fair? What you are looking at is a classic "maxed out frame". But that's not Dowling's biggest issue. After having watched plenty of film on him creating my draft recap Dowling is your classic "splash" player. Yes, Dowling does make big plays, impactful plays, game changing plays but he also gives up just as much. That won't work in the NFL. If he gives up big plays pursuing highlight reel appearances then he won't won't be on the team long. Chasing splash plays will also get you routinely cursed out by your position coach. When the position coach tries to preach consistency all Dowling sees are the positive plays. I could see where Dowling could drive a coach nuts. No wonder.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
EricAllen21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he makes the team over ross. why couldn't he be the next Kam Chancellor ? Kam was expected to be a late round to free agent during his draft. Has the size, aa, and heart to get better
Darbsk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Corner

Was it 2 for 1 at the tattoo shop?? Laughing

Don't see how that's a maxed out frame Bagga........his chest and shoulders are so scrawny but his hips look pretty wide relative. He could easily add 10 to 15lbs I would think to that frame without compromising explosiveness or speed.

I think it's clear it's going to be a mental issue with Dowling, if he matures and 'gets it' he has the potential, if not he's someone nobody will remember in 18 months time
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:

Don't see how that's a maxed out frame Bagga........his chest and shoulders are so scrawny but his hips look pretty wide relative. He could easily add 10 to 15lbs I would think to that frame without compromising explosiveness or speed.

I think it's clear it's going to be a mental issue with Dowling, if he matures and 'gets it' he has the potential, if not he's someone nobody will remember in 18 months time

I've coached track for years. I've seen a lot of kids. There is no doubt in my mind that Dowling has a track body. I don't know what picture of Dowling's hips you're looking at but with thighs that thin you're suggesting that he could put on 15lbs of just ar$e. I'd love to see this arachnid shaped man running down field with a Kardashian behind. I don't see how that would help Dowling play the game.

That's not the way it works btw. Sometimes we ask lineman to gain weight in their lower body to gain more base weight but weight is more evenly distributed among most other players. There's no reason for a DB to be pear shaped as you're suggesting. (Which I don't agree with anyways. Dowling has thin hips as well from what I can see but maybe you have a different body shot I haven't seen.

Downling doesn't necessarily need to gain more weight he is what he is. At some point we have to accept that we can just simply shore up EVERY player's weakness into some sort of ultimate warrior.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Chali21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Darbsk wrote:

I've coached track for years. I've seen a lot of kids. There is no doubt in my mind that Dowling has a track body. I don't know what picture of Dowling's hips you're looking at but with thighs that thin you're suggesting that he could put on 15lbs of just ar$e. I'd love to see this arachnid shaped man running down field with a Kardashian behind. I don't see how that would help Dowling play the game.

That's not the way it works btw. Sometimes we ask lineman to gain weight in their lower body to gain more base weight but weight is more evenly distributed among most other players. There's no reason for a DB to be pear shaped as you're suggesting. (Which I don't agree with anyways. Dowling has thin hips as well from what I can see but maybe you have a different body shot I haven't seen.

Downling doesn't necessarily need to gain more weight he is what he is. At some point we have to accept that we can just simply shore up EVERY player's weakness into some sort of ultimate warrior.

I think he can develop his muscles though. He doesn't look very solid to me. I think the guy can gain some muscle weight so people aren't plowing through him.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Darbsk wrote:

I think you've misunderstood my post there Laughing

I'm suggesting that when we talk about body frame (and I get that you're a track coach but I've also coached strength and conditioning for a semi-pro rugby team which does give me some idea) I'm talking specifically about the meat on the bones. You cannot increase the size of the hips or chest/shoulder structure but you can fill out the frame by adding proportional muscle or fat mass to the existing frame.

Basically, with his hip width he can carry more muscle mass on his glutes and quads easily (without losing flexibility) and his chest and shoulder width can easily carry more muscle mass as he is very shallow (front to back) and under developed in his shoulders and chest. It is opinion of course, but I believe he can easily carry 15lbs of extra 'meat on his bones' without causing a negative effect on flexibility, speed or durability. If he had very narrow hips, chest and shoulders (like former CB Van Dyke had) then it limits hugely the mass you can carry without affecting performance.

I'd be interested to hear your definition of 'maxed out' frame and how and where (anatomy wise) you would encourage a safety to bulk up as you probably have more experience with Football specifically than i do.
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricAllen21 wrote:
i think he makes the team over ross. why couldn't he be the next Kam Chancellor ? Kam was expected to be a late round to free agent during his draft. Has the size, aa, and heart to get better

Ummm pump the brakes mah dude. Chancellor goes 230 lbs. He has a wirey frame however if he has good technique it's should help up for lack of size right ?. It may be apples to oranges but doesn't honey badger play combo CB/FS and he's undersized.

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: