You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off Field with FS Jonathan Dowling Comes to Light
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daineraider

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101Raider wrote:
bitty wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
bitty wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
bitty wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
Sounds like a mentally weak guy.....

The way I see it, he was a highly recruited guy that made it to the prestigious university of Florida. I imagine that in high school he got away with a lot & still got an offer to Florida so he took his crap to Florida.

That crap wasn't being accepted & he was yelled at. He couldn't grasp someone yelling at him for doing what he's been allowed to do for soi long so he threw a hissy fit & transferred....If he was highly recruited then he's a fine ball player which means he wasn't ONLY getting yelled at for mishaps in practice.

Western Kentucky begged him to.join their program & he took advantage. Similar situation I'd imagine to what happened with the LSU.QB Laffeyette......as far as a highly recruited HS player taking a fall from an awesome SEC school to.some weak.2nd rate football program that is.

The coaches brown nosed this highly rated football player at western Kentucky. They probably couldn't imagine saying something bad about him or to.him......

Who's played football & never been chewed out? This guy is lucky Reggie McKenzie has given him a chance because I wouldn't have.

I hope he repays McKenzie for believing in him, I'll say that.

I understand what he went through.
I started playing lacrosse at seven years old. I lived for the sport year around my high school was nationally ranked in the top 20. There was 5 college All-Americans on that team. Two of them T national championships
My last game in High School I was matched up against a top defender in the country. I score 3 goals and had two assists. After the game the coach berated me in front of the team for not playing better.
It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I put down my stick and never play again I wouldn't even talk to college recruiters.
It had nothing to do with being mentally weak. It had to do with hatred for the coach
To add insult to injury after I quit the team he had me removed from the record book. Twenty years later I still hate that man.

Screw that guy. That guy who was supposed to be your coach was just a POS, I could understand if Dowlingb had something like that happen.

This goes along with DOCLEW's coach talk. I guess I was lucky to never have had a terrible POS coach, I mean I've taken some licks verbally from coaches but to the extent that your coach did? Never. That's uncalled for.

Especially if we're talking 17-18 year old kids. I suppose you and Dowling handled it better than I would have because I would have gotten even & that's the worst thing to do......

He once call a time out during a game and made us run sprints during the time out because were only winning by five goals.
His favorite saying was that thoroughbreds run because they have too, donkeys have to be whipped.
I have a million stories like that.

Holy crap, these days we have it easy then.
That stuff you're talking about sounds like the stuff my dad swears was his old school days......and by his days, he meant the days when"what they call child abuse today is a hug compared to what I got by my teachers, let alone your granddad & grandma."

I'm always like Rolling Eyes alright, pops. Whatever you say. I wish a teacher would touch me Laughing

Idk that sounds like an old school problem. I mean wasn't Bob Knight a star coach in you guys' generation? That was that eras type of coach & it was even portrayed in movies.

These days there's a bunch of soft spoken, humble coach K's. In this era the coach on TV is even.a schmuck(see Friday Night Lights the show).

I'm gonna do research on Dowling.....I am about to scout him personally through the power of the internet. I need to know what happened to him

You have no idea.
This was one of my assistant coaches.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/twisted-connecticut-man-arrested-recruiting-men-fake-intelligence-agency-torturing-article-1.145280

umm... I don't even know what to say

Pretty F'd up is all you can really say. Glad to see him get caught. Guys like this need to be taken out the back door and forgot about.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
ROFLcopter

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like siding with the kid here.

I mean, when we talk about off the field stuff, there's a whole bunch of nasty things a player can be involved in. He's lily-white compared to some guys in the NFL.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the pick initially, but I didn't know that the guy was a turnover machine with a chip on his shoulder. He could become our starter at FS if he can learn and get it together. Man, 9 turnovers and 12 pd/ year is insane. He's a great athlete too. Man I'm excited for this season.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
Its a weak leader/coach who only knows how to teach by shouting. Same as the Dolphins locker room, a quality leadership structure wouldn't have allowed it to happen, but when you have trash leaders + coaches its rife.

I agree!

20 years after I started coaching I am a MUCH BETTER coach than I was early on. All I knew how to do was yell. LOL. But as I grew and learned I don't feel the need because I know what the hell I'm doing. Hahahaha.

Don't get me wrong a well placed tirade is sometimes needed. I got after my guys pretty tough for spending more time trying to look "dope" or "wet" as they like to say wearing all that pink in October. They were playing like crap and at halftime I let them have it and made every one of them take that stuff off. We bear the hell out of the team in the second half.

The bottom line is that there has to be a balance and a fit. It is no coincidence that later in my career we have more guys getting recruited than earlier. We have three juniors with offers to places like Army, Air Force, New Mexico, Eastern Washington etc. and D1 interest in 5 others. And it all stems from learning the craft and managing relationships with families and players.

This kid found a fit at Western Kentucky and he thrived. Now let's see if he can thrive here too.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Quote:
As a major recruit out of high school, he was considered an athlete, so he wasnt very experienced at defensive back before Florida and Western Kentucky. His athletic traits and size help overcome his mental mistakes.

Made a big leap in eye discipline and mental processing from his junior season to his senior season. He was more comfortable as a deep safety after getting more experience. Since hes underdeveloped, he has to continue to show growth to avoid wasting his great physical abilities.

Play recognition became more consistent in 2013. Starting the play in the right direction helps limit wasted movement.

Shows me he puts in work on the mental side of the game.

Also shows he had quality coaching too.

91jmay

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree balance is the key. Obviously there are times when a tongue lashing is required (although in that situation I always prefer collective punishment rather than singling out a player).
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he needs a fresh start. I liked his instincts and hitting abilities. Looks like a play maker. Having him around Woodson and Allen should help him out a lot. Imagine Dowling on STs. I think he'll make it as our 4th S assuming he's coachable and doesn't do stupid stuff.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackPrestige92 wrote:

The way I see it, he was a highly recruited guy that made it to the prestigious university of Florida. I imagine that in high school he got away with a lot & still got an offer to Florida so he took his crap to Florida.

That crap wasn't being accepted & he was yelled at. He couldn't grasp someone yelling at him for doing what he's been allowed to do for so long so he threw a hissy fit & transferred....If he was highly recruited then he's a fine ball player which means he wasn't ONLY getting yelled at for mishaps in practice.

Western Kentucky begged him to.join their program & he took advantage. Similar situation I'd imagine to what happened with the LSU.QB Laffeyette......as far as a highly recruited HS player taking a fall from an awesome SEC school to.some weak.2nd rate football program that is.

The coaches brown nosed this highly rated football player at western Kentucky. They probably couldn't imagine saying something bad about him or to.him......

Who's played football & never been chewed out? This guy is lucky Reggie McKenzie has given him a chance because I wouldn't have.

Lot of assumptions being made in this post.

Calling someone mentally weak and implying he thought he was somewhat entitled, etc. while saying he threw hissy fits is nonsense.

Humans all react different to reward/punishment. There is such a stigma w/ mental health in sports. That if your an emotional type who is motivate more by positive reinforcement you are 'weak'.

I respect the fact the kid didn't allow it to defeat him from playing the game. Went someplace he felt comfortable and empowered. I personally never took to negative reinforcement. Hearing the mistakes I made and having my nose rubbed in them never motivated me, it depressed me. Made me shye and withdrawn from sports, jobs, etc. When I met my first mentor who empowered my achievements and let me learn from my mistakes, I grew 10 fold as a citizen, worker, etc. Empowered me to start my own company and become a leader.

Mental health is no joke. People think coaching needs to be in your face, yelling and belittling people to make them 'stronger'. That is nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pumped about the addition of this kid. I don't agree with those saying he is mentally weak. Players/student athletes learn and prosper by different stimuli. Some use it has fuel to get better, others need more encouragement positive coaching. I feel a coach can't use the same philosophy with every player.

I for one am pumped about the addition of both McGill and Dowling. i love the size that Reggie has added to the defensive backfield. Even Carrie is well built strong and explosive. The kid is solid muscle!! And look at his Vert and Broad jump numbers. Looks like a solid PR as well.

Thanks to RaiderX for the sig
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kid may have had some of the best measurables as far as height and speed for a safety. He easily had the best 40 yard dash based on his height and 5th best overall for safeties. Turnover machine. The more I watch the more I like. He looks like a 3rd or 4th rounder if the character stuff wasn't there. I'm excited.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
This kid may have had some of the best measurables as far as height and speed for a safety. He easily had the best 40 yard dash based on his height and 5th best overall for safeties. Turnover machine. The more I watch the more I like. He looks like a 3rd or 4th rounder if the character stuff wasn't there. I'm excited.

The only problem I had with the character stuff was that it was like 5 years ago before he even established himself as a prospect.

But I'm actually glad because we may not have had a chance to get him otherwise.

THE MAD STORK

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

The only problem I had with the character stuff was that it was like 5 years ago before he even established himself as a prospect.

But I'm actually glad because we may not have had a chance to get him otherwise.

I love this pick..so excited for preseason...I never say this..but I think we got 2 starters and 3 role players who will see a lot of time in this draft (by the end of the season at least)

RD1 Mack worries me as a 4-3 olb. I want him to get use to having his hand in the ground and going after the qb.
RD2I am not expecting, nor do I want anything out of carr this season, maybe even next.
RD3I am a little worried that jackson will be too slow off the snap (similar to herman johnson a few years back) but I really like this pick, and feel he could start early in the year.
RD4I love the ellis pick. He will make an impact as a rotational guy on passing downs, and will learn from the great vets we picked up (smith, woodley, tuck) which will teach him how to be a professional. He will continue to get better through the year. I think he will be better the Irish chocolate.
RD4If we use mcgill right (as a man corner) and work around his strengths..I could easily see him making an impact his 1st year. Especially against Big WR's and TE's. BUT! make no mistake...he has his flaws..hes not a off man corner...hes a get in your face and bump you type player, which I dont see why we wouldnt be able to utilize his strengths.
RD7I didnt know much about carrie. But after watching him, I think he has potential..I like that he plays man at ohio. He has good size to him. Ran a solid 40. Theres a lot to be optimistic about.
RD7 DOWLING! love the measurable...real pumped about this pick..I am curious if we try to play him at cb? I love how long he is...he is as long as some OL.So much potential..if he can stay humble and work hard theres a lot of upside.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I could find on Dowling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rijEmuvZNKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nExfz1ZrwMI

Looks like a 7th round draft choice IMO. Misses or whiffs a lot of tackles. Always looking to 'hit' rather than make a good form tackle on ball carriers. In coverage, seems late getting to spots or sometimes turned around all together.

Never makes a wrap up tackle. Just tries to hit w/ the shoulder which I hate w/ DBs.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:

That crap wasn't being accepted & he was yelled at. He couldn't grasp someone yelling at him for doing what he's been allowed to do for so long so he threw a hissy fit & transferred....If he was highly recruited then he's a fine ball player which means he wasn't ONLY getting yelled at for mishaps in practice.

Lot of assumptions being made in this post.

Calling someone mentally weak and implying he thought he was somewhat entitled, etc. while saying he threw hissy fits is nonsense.

Humans all react different to reward/punishment. There is such a stigma w/ mental health in sports. That if your an emotional type who is motivate more by positive reinforcement you are 'weak'.

I respect the fact the kid didn't allow it to defeat him from playing the game. Went someplace he felt comfortable and empowered. I personally never took to negative reinforcement. Hearing the mistakes I made and having my nose rubbed in them never motivated me, it depressed me. Made me shye and withdrawn from sports, jobs, etc. When I met my first mentor who empowered my achievements and let me learn from my mistakes, I grew 10 fold as a citizen, worker, etc. Empowered me to start my own company and become a leader.

Mental health is no joke. People think coaching needs to be in your face, yelling and belittling people to make them 'stronger'. That is nonsense.

Calm down, BP. I took it back later in the thread....

But I agree that mental health is something that is often swept under the carpet when in fact it should be looked at much more. Like I was saying earlier, the old school approach is quickly being revealed as a terrible way of going about things. It's just gross and wicked in some aspects, although some old school is okay in my eyes....Can't be total sissy now.

I'm glad that today there are more people that will choose to go about coaching players much better......then again what did that Rutgers coach get busted doing recently in a basketball practice? LOL

I wish this Dowling guy nothing but the best

If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, Im uncoachable, Im unsociable."
-Kendrick Lamar
OakleyCap

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dowling is best suited to play cornerback at the NFL level and if he dedicates himself to fixing his technique (will need a patience positional coach), he has a future at the next level.

Interesting.

Duke '14-15 tracker: 14-0 (2-0 ACC); #2 AP, #2 Coaches Poll

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: