Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Baltimore Ravens UDFA pickups...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which UDFA will become the best Raven?
LB Xavius Boyd, Western Kentucky
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Levi Brown, Temple
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
WR Jeremy Butler, Tennessee-Martin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WR Jace Davis, Northern Colorado
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OL Parker Graham, Oklahoma State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Derrick Hopkins, Virginia Tech
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OT James Hurst, North Carolina
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
CB Trumain Jacobs, Texas A&M
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
P/K Richie Leone, Houston
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Jamie Meder, Ashland
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
S Dexter Moody, Albany State
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
CB Deji Olatoye, North Carolina A&T
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
LB Zach Orr, North Texas
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DL A.J. Pataialii Utah State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB Avery Patterson, Oregon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB Sammy Seamster, Middle Tennessee State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OT Brett Van Sloten, Iowa
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've actually signed 4 CBs according to BR.com page. I don't think any of them are high profile guys, but at least we'll have some competition and a deeper pool to pick from.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly it won't take a lot for any of those guys to beat out Asa or Chykie. My money is on us picking up a CB that gets cut and making him our nickel, ala Corey Graham.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Honestly it won't take a lot for any of those guys to beat out Asa or Chykie. My money is on us picking up a CB that gets cut and making him our nickel, ala Corey Graham.

No, Graham was a free agent who Baltimore signed a week or two after free agency began that year. Needing a quality cornerback sucks because teams tend to hang on to everybody who's at least decent at that position unless they're ancient. The best I'm hoping for at this point is Terrell Thomas.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the other thread, u think our best bet may be swapping a guy who would be an odd man out on our roster (Jah Reid, for example) for a recent draftee who is squeezed out by a recent high draft pick(s) and/or FA acquisition(s). Looking around the league, are there any teams particularly deep at cb?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think it's unlikely we do better than Shocky or Asa at this point. That may not be terrible, it's just that they're unproven. Almost anyone we get know would be proven to be bad.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Honestly, I think it's unlikely we do better than Shocky or Asa at this point. That may not be terrible, it's just that they're unproven. Almost anyone we get know would be proven to be bad.

I agree. I think we're best off with a guy with some physical tools who may not have a proven track record (as you mentioned, only available proven guys will be proven to be poor).

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Sometimes I think you want change just for the sake of change. Jackson's spot is tenuous because of the suspensions, but you should probably wrap your head around the idea that Chykie isn't going anywhere and will probably be the nickel corner this season.

It's foolishness to think it "won't take a lot" for either or both of them to be beaten out by an undrafted rookie, especially since I'd be willing to bet you know very little about any of them that you didn't read today.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
As I mentioned in the other thread, u think our best bet may be swapping a guy who would be an odd man out on our roster (Jah Reid, for example) for a recent draftee who is squeezed out by a recent high draft pick(s) and/or FA acquisition(s). Looking around the league, are there any teams particularly deep at cb?

New England is pretty deep at cornerback but I don't foresee them thinning out their depth. For what it's worth if Jah Reid is the trade bait I highly doubt the team could get a cornerback in a trade that is worth anything.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:

New England is pretty deep at cornerback but I don't foresee them thinning out their depth. For what it's worth if Jah Reid is the trade bait I highly doubt the team could get a cornerback in a trade that is worth anything.

I was never presenting it as someone "worth anything," merely a swap of a proverbial bag of potato chips for some other flavor. I know we have made deals like this in the past (pretty sure it's involved a cb/db in the past as well; redskins come to mind).

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of what I meant though. A cornerback with the equivocal talent level of Jah Reid isn't going to be better than either Brown or Jackson.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Sometimes I think you want change just for the sake of change. Jackson's spot is tenuous because of the suspensions, but you should probably wrap your head around the idea that Chykie isn't going anywhere and will probably be the nickel corner this season.

It's foolishness to think it "won't take a lot" for either or both of them to be beaten out by an undrafted rookie, especially since I'd be willing to bet you know very little about any of them that you didn't read today.

First of all, calm down.

Second of all, what I said was that it wouldn't take very much to beat out Chykie or Asa because neither of them have shown much of anything at this point and Asa is one suspension away from being cut or suspended from the NFL again (most likely cut). So if we somehow hit gold on a UDFA and they show they can cover someone, they'll most likely beat out Chykie for the spot, who I think will be the nickel back (unfortunately).

My head is perfectly wrapped around the concept that Chykie Brown will be our nickel corner, make no mistake about it, but a guy can dream. Brown's about as bad as it gets in today's NFL as a nickel corner, especially considering in our nickel situations Webb slides to the slot and Brown is left on the outside, usually against #1 WR's.

But speaking of Terrell Thomas, I'd be more than happy with that if this was like 2009 and he hadn't torn his ACL twice in consecutive years or whatever. He's a good CB, not sure about his injuries though.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys i just wanted to let you know that you guys got a really good one in Meder. I know him personally and he is seriously one of the hardest working individuals I know. He has an unstoppable motor, plays with a mean streak, ultra competitive, and truly loves the game. He also is a high character guy. I know he's from a small school but I really hope he sticks with you guys. If you have some time you should check this out it'll tell you all you need to know.

http://fox8.com/2014/05/06/student-gives-up-shot-at-nfl-to-nurse-girlfriend-with-cancer/

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP has been updated with BR.com's official UDFA list.

From the list of DB additions added, Avery Patterson from Oregon impresses me the most. He's a NCB/S option. I was impressed by his ball skills and fluidness on tape. He's built a lot like Josh Wilson. I think out of our UDFA DBs, he's the one I'll put my money on making the team. Versatility, ball skills, solid athleticism, likely special teams fit.

I wasn't really impressed of what I saw from Seamster.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Avery Patterson sounds like an intriguing prospect. Big school, good experience and he's a decent, if not ideal, size for a DB.

Played CB and Safety, and was a key contributor on ST. Sounds like a potential Corey Graham, and we know how much Harbs loves his ST guys. Omar Brown, Nigel Levine, Brynden Trawyck etc should take notice.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry rice jr. apparently coming in for a look as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349920/article/jerry-rice-jr-reportedly-to-try-out-for-ravens-on-friday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: