Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Baltimore Ravens UDFA pickups...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which UDFA will become the best Raven?
LB Xavius Boyd, Western Kentucky
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Levi Brown, Temple
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
WR Jeremy Butler, Tennessee-Martin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WR Jace Davis, Northern Colorado
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OL Parker Graham, Oklahoma State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Derrick Hopkins, Virginia Tech
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OT James Hurst, North Carolina
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
CB Trumain Jacobs, Texas A&M
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
P/K Richie Leone, Houston
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Jamie Meder, Ashland
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
S Dexter Moody, Albany State
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
CB Deji Olatoye, North Carolina A&T
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
LB Zach Orr, North Texas
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DL A.J. Pataialii Utah State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB Avery Patterson, Oregon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB Sammy Seamster, Middle Tennessee State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OT Brett Van Sloten, Iowa
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I'm not gonna try and reinvent the wheel. It's probably Hurst. He was probably a mid round pick if he was able to workout this offseason and saw us as the best career move for himself with our RT situation.

Still trying to find some video for some of these guys, Seamster especially.

The punter might make things interesting.

Word. I'd still like to see Ciante Evans and/or Marcus Roberson signed too.

I'm really surprised we've only inked one. I thought with our depth chart corners would be lining up to go to camp with us.

Agreed. There's a guaranteed active roster spot open here. Beat out Shocky and Asa and you're looking at major snaps on a prestigious defense.

And we get 3 DTs to sign with us Laughing... Who's advising these guys?
sp6488

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Seamster without a doubt. I'm just glad we took 2 more defensive tackles, because we are really thin on the DL right now.

Far be it for me to try and dissuade you from complaining, but with jones leaving for the colts and Cody retained on a vet minimum deal, likely bc no one else wanted him, there's two out for the 2 new guys right there.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT alum -- stoked to have Orr in camp. Undersized, forsure, but he can definitely play!
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Seamster without a doubt. I'm just glad we took 2 more defensive tackles, because we are really thin on the DL right now.

Far be it for me to try and dissuade you from complaining, but with jones leaving for the colts and Cody retained on a vet minimum deal, likely bc no one else wanted him, there's two out for the 2 new guys right there.

Well we've got "replacements" in Williams and Tyson/KPL ready to go, along with the two guys we just drafted, along with Ngata/Canty. It's just hard for me to see any of those guys making the roster at this point.

And then you've got us potentially switching to a 4-3, which would eliminate 1-2 guys from the depth chart as well, so I mean I don't see any reason why a UDFA DL would make an impact for us.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

so I mean I don't see any reason why a UDFA DL would make an impact for us.

This is the part that I think makes your arguments seem so silly -- nobody is expecting a UDFA to make an impact. Hell, the UDFAs likely don't even expect to make an impact. What the Ravens offer, as I believe DB24 has said repeatedly, is that the Ravens are well known for grooming UDFAs to become better players which then gives them a better opportunity down the road. We are a team that will play the best player, even if they are a UDFA, and so UDFAs recognize this and seem to want to sign here. If I'm a UDFA tackle, regardless of depth, if I think I can either come learn at a club that has a proven track record of signing UDFAs and them going onto bigger and better things and perhaps stick on as a practice squad or even IR'd member, or just go to a team with less depth, with likely lesser coaching and not the same track record of UDFA successes just because there might be less traffic on the road, I'm personally taking the long-term approach.

As to your part about KLM/Tyson/Ngata/Canty -- Canty might not even make the roster. Yes, KLM and Tyson are primed to have bigger roles, but these UDFAs aren't necessarily looking to come in and grab a starting role. Many would be very happy to just make a PSquad or IR'd like KLM was, get a year under their belts and come back next year to look for a bigger role. These guys were undrafted for a reason and so having an opportunity to sign with a team that has shown that it can groom UDFAs to become better players is not nearly the confusing decision that you're making it out to be. You seem way too infatuated with short-term views rather than seeing the bigger picture.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Well we've got "replacements" in Williams and Tyson/KPL ready to go, along with the two guys we just drafted, along with Ngata/Canty. It's just hard for me to see any of those guys making the roster at this point.

And then you've got us potentially switching to a 4-3, which would eliminate 1-2 guys from the depth chart as well, so I mean I don't see any reason why a UDFA DL would make an impact for us.

I assumed you were talking about the 2 we drafted, nevermind.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I assumed you were talking about the 2 we drafted, nevermind.

Nope. Cool

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

This is the part that I think makes your arguments seem so silly -- nobody is expecting a UDFA to make an impact. Hell, the UDFAs likely don't even expect to make an impact. What the Ravens offer, as I believe DB24 has said repeatedly, is that the Ravens are well known for grooming UDFAs to become better players which then gives them a better opportunity down the road. We are a team that will play the best player, even if they are a UDFA, and so UDFAs recognize this and seem to want to sign here. If I'm a UDFA tackle, regardless of depth, if I think I can either come learn at a club that has a proven track record of signing UDFAs and them going onto bigger and better things and perhaps stick on as a practice squad or even IR'd member, or just go to a team with less depth, with likely lesser coaching and not the same track record of UDFA successes just because there might be less traffic on the road, I'm personally taking the long-term approach.

As to your part about KLM/Tyson/Ngata/Canty -- Canty might not even make the roster. Yes, KLM and Tyson are primed to have bigger roles, but these UDFAs aren't necessarily looking to come in and grab a starting role. Many would be very happy to just make a PSquad or IR'd like KLM was, get a year under their belts and come back next year to look for a bigger role. These guys were undrafted for a reason and so having an opportunity to sign with a team that has shown that it can groom UDFAs to become better players is not nearly the confusing decision that you're making it out to be. You seem way too infatuated with short-term views rather than seeing the bigger picture.

This gave me a good chuckle. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 10m
Ravens are signing former Albany State (Ga.) safety Dexter Moody, 6-1, 217, 4.4 speed, 19 reps 225 pounds, 34-inch vertical

This intrigues me. 6-1 guy with 4.4 speed? Yes please. Coach this guy up.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

And why is that funny exactly? Canty would save the Ravens $2.5M with a post June 1st cut. Which if he's a training camp casualty, he would fit into that equation. If the Ravens feel the young guys can provide similar impact for a much cheaper price, than they would be fools to not move on for the cheaper option and gain some rollover savings for a rainy day.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

And why is that funny exactly? Canty would save the Ravens $2.5M with a post June 1st cut. Which if he's a training camp casualty, he would fit into that equation. If the Ravens feel the young guys can provide similar impact for a much cheaper price, than they would be fools to not move on for the cheaper option and gain some rollover savings for a rainy day.

The only way Canty doesn't make the roster is if he's not healthy. When he was healthy he was arguably our best pass rushing DE last year and in a 4-3, if we switch to that, he's one of the best in the league.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Purifoy has gone to the Colts, and Roberson to the Rams. What gives? Seamster is a better prospect than either of them? I struggle to see that, somehow.

Either the Ravens didn't offer enough, or they didn't offer anything. Either way it makes Ozzie's claim that they'd address CB in UDFA sound a bit silly.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purifoy and Roberson are the products of a lot of pre-draft hype and really aren't that good, and Purifoy has some off field stuff too.

I don't know anything about Seamster, but I'm guessing that he was on the list of draftables and the Florida guys weren't.
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
So Purifoy has gone to the Colts, and Roberson to the Rams. What gives? Seamster is a better prospect than either of them? I struggle to see that, somehow.

Either the Ravens didn't offer enough, or they didn't offer anything. Either way it makes Ozzie's claim that they'd address CB in UDFA sound a bit silly.

Once we didn't get one (CB) in the first 3 rounds it became much less likely we would address it in the draft... I want to see Asa Jackson and Chykie Brown battle it out assuming Asa doesn't Get suspended again...
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
Purifoy and Roberson are the products of a lot of pre-draft hype and really aren't that good, and Purifoy has some off field stuff too.

I don't know anything about Seamster, but I'm guessing that he was on the list of draftables and the Florida guys weren't.

Yeah, pre-draft hype accounts for a lot of inflation, but these guys were listed as potential 1st rounders, at one point. Now, there were at least 50 DBs in the draft, and an undetermined number of undrafted guys, who were better than them? A lot of draft scouts really messed up with these two.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Seamster turn into the next Marcus Cooper, and go from nowhere to starter. Or at least for him to earn a spot on the roster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: