Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 138th pick the Ravens pick... Lorenzo Taliaferro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to say that, Mancunian. We've had Vonta as a short-yardage back and before that we had Le'Ron as a short yardage back.

The problem wasn't the guys we had, it was more or less the plays we ran. Simple FB dives or HB dives are great when you're facing teams who you can simply just beat on the LoS, but we couldn't do that.

I don't think Taliaferro solves any problems that giving the ball to Juice wouldn't, IMO.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
One thing that's confusing me is, Kyle Juszczyk was drafted a year ago to be the FB. He's 6'1, 250lbs. That's as big a short yardage back as you're going to get.

He never really carried the ball in college, but surely it's something he should be capable of doing. He did well enough getting YAC in college, after all. He's slower than Taliaferro, but speed isn't exactly the most important thing when you're trying to punch the ball in from a yard or two out.

I think he was more drafted to be a FB/TE H-back type, not a pure FB. I don't think they ever envisioned him to run the ball at all.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
One thing that's confusing me is, Kyle Juszczyk was drafted a year ago to be the FB. He's 6'1, 250lbs. That's as big a short yardage back as you're going to get.

He never really carried the ball in college, but surely it's something he should be capable of doing. He did well enough getting YAC in college, after all. He's slower than Taliaferro, but speed isn't exactly the most important thing when you're trying to punch the ball in from a yard or two out.

I think he was more drafted to be a FB/TE H-back type, not a pure FB. I don't think they ever envisioned him to run the ball at all.

I agree, and I do still want to see him feature as an HB, because I think he could prove to be very valuable. Another reliable short route target for Joe. But once they decided they needed a bigger back, I'd have thought they'd at least look at Juszczyk as an option. Perhaps they did, and he was hopeless at it, I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:

Which just makes the addition of Gilmore more germaine to the team, because Juice can fill the roll Daniels currently occupies in a year's time and Gilmore can be the short yardage TE with pass catching ability to keep the defense honest in the way they play him.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Alfred Morris as a pre-draft comp, and I think that explains the pick given Morris' production in the same scheme.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
I heard Alfred Morris as a pre-draft comp, and I think that explains the pick given Morris' production in the same scheme.

Same scheme is a bit of a reach. Shanahan ran the zone-read and a bunch of exotic things to get Morris lanes and also make defenses think about Griffin.

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

I thought about that comparison initially. But Taliaferro isn't the same back at trucking defenders. He doesn't offer those huge trunk legs that move piles. He's built much more like McGahee. Stocked throughout.

And looking at his rushing style, he presents similar strengths and weaknesses to McGahee. At least, the Ravens McGahee, not Willis McGahee the prospect.

LT has the kind of speed that can take a run to the house if given the crease. On tape he appears to display more of an above average burst, but then uses good stride length and power for speed.

I just don't see Morris with the same 2nd gear as Taliaferro, but with more power for the short game. I don't see the kind of advanced power from LT that has people consider him a "power" back. I think most are just taking his size and his TD count and running with it. On tape he definitely appears to be more of a balanced back between power and speed. He's a north-south runner, that has nice hips, but not the best foot speed. Good vision, but not enough to be an elite back.

I'm surprised more people aren't drawing the Willis McGahee comparison after watching his tape.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:

I thought about that comparison initially. But Taliaferro isn't the same back at trucking defenders. He doesn't offer those huge trunk legs that move piles. He's built much more like McGahee. Stocked throughout.

And looking at his rushing style, he presents similar strengths and weaknesses to McGahee. At least, the Ravens McGahee, not Willis McGahee the prospect.

LT has the kind of speed that can take a run to the house if given the crease. On tape he appears to display more of an above average burst, but then uses good stride length and power for speed.

I just don't see Morris with the same 2nd gear as Taliaferro, but with more power for the short game. I don't see the kind of advanced power from LT that has people consider him a "power" back. I think most are just taking his size and his TD count and running with it. On tape he definitely appears to be more of a balanced back between power and speed. He's a north-south runner, that has nice hips, but not the best foot speed. Good vision, but not enough to be an elite back.

I'm surprised more people aren't drawing the Willis McGahee comparison after watching his tape.

You're right about Morris. 4.67 40-time and not a burst guy. Straight bruiser back, like a faster Brandon Jacobs with better vision, really.

LT ain't that guy.

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:

You're right about Morris. 4.67 40-time and not a burst guy. Straight bruiser back, like a faster Brandon Jacobs with better vision, really.

LT ain't that guy.

Other than McGahee I also got Fred Jackson (Bills) as a potential comparison. I just don't think he had the same hands as Jackson. And Jackson probably is a bit more nimble as a runner. Though it's possible that Taliaferro could drop a few pounds and increase his foot quickness.

I wonder if the plan will be to bulk him up to be a true "power" back, to lessen his weight to give him a little bit more foot quickness for the ZBS (take advantage of cutbacks, etc.), or if we just want to keep him the back that he's been.

I'm curious to know how a Willis McGahee type back would fit in a ZBS. Theoretically it should be a good fit, but we were more of a power MBS with McGahee. McGahee was able to make use of cutback lanes though and that's a big staple of being able to be successful in Kubiak's scheme. So it stands to reason that the same should be true for Taliaferro.

But hey, I'm a RB fan. So I think Taliaferro is going to be my "guy" from this draft. I liked Pierce, but he's just too injury prone to ever be a reliable back. So I think after Rice we're going to need a different feature back, other than Pierce. And Taliaferro is as good an option as anyone... though, I wish it was West.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sticking with Pierce. I think he's a MUCH better runner and I'm going to have to gamble on the injuries.

I don't think LTF has primary ball carrier type ability. His biggest strength is in protection and he could be a niche runner. I think this pick was a bit of a reach.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not that big of reach, he could be found in jail.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24573670/report-ravens-rookie-rb-lorenzo-taliaferro-arrested-over-weekend

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already being discussed in the "Random Ravens Thoughts" thread.

sp6488

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24573670/report-ravens-rookie-rb-lorenzo-taliaferro-arrested-over-weekend

Doubtful...

Quote:
He was charged with two misdemeanors: being drunk in public and destruction of property.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:

Just FYI comments like these won't be tolerated in the future. It's blatant trolling. So... If this is the best comment you can present. Then... Just don't comment. Next time it won't be a civil warning. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah, blah, blah... Reiterating bad pick... Blah, blah... Good job investigating his character, etc., etc. I told you so... Blah, blah, blah... Wasted pic... Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: