You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 138th pick the Ravens pick... Lorenzo Taliaferro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
I'm not sure why everybody is so down on Taliaferro in favor of West, especially in regard to speed.

Taliaferro is bigger; they both run in the 4.5s; both were highly productive at FCS schools, but Taliaferro has more tread on the tire than West, who had almost 400 carries last year alone.

I know everybody wanted the hometown guy, but they aren't such radically differentiated prospects that everyone should be on suicide watch.

I really like the guy myself, and think he brings the big back we haven't had in a long time. He's a perfect back for the ZBS, and in this scheme, has just as much potential as any other back who went before or after him.

Taliaferro: 18 carries, 91 yards (5.1 ypc), 1 TD
West: 12 carries, 36 yards (3.0 ypc), 1 TD
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a perscription for some crow. Laughing

I will attempt to save face by pointing out that my opinion of him completely changed after watching him live in the preseason.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:
I heard Alfred Morris as a pre-draft comp, and I think that explains the pick given Morris' production in the same scheme.

I thought about that comparison initially. But Taliaferro isn't the same back at trucking defenders. He doesn't offer those huge trunk legs that move piles. He's built much more like McGahee. Stocked throughout.

And looking at his rushing style, he presents similar strengths and weaknesses to McGahee. At least, the Ravens McGahee, not Willis McGahee the prospect.

LT has the kind of speed that can take a run to the house if given the crease. On tape he appears to display more of an above average burst, but then uses good stride length and power for speed.

I just don't see Morris with the same 2nd gear as Taliaferro, but with more power for the short game. I don't see the kind of advanced power from LT that has people consider him a "power" back. I think most are just taking his size and his TD count and running with it. On tape he definitely appears to be more of a balanced back between power and speed. He's a north-south runner, that has nice hips, but not the best foot speed. Good vision, but not enough to be an elite back.

I'm surprised more people aren't drawing the Willis McGahee comparison after watching his tape.

He definitely looked faster than I thought he would be when he found creases in the defense this past Sunday. He's certainly better than a plodder.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taliaferro plays a little bit quicker than I anticipated after looking at his college tape. Although that could easily be the difference between the conditioning program and facilities at Coastal Carolina compared to what he has at his disposal now with the Ravens.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does look a little quicker, and a fair bit sharper than I expected. Definitely not the heavy plodder he was advertised as. Perhaps, like Le'Veon Bell, he can improve even more if he sheds a bit more weight over the next season or two.

However, I'm not going to say he's the future yet. The Browns D-line is clearly not very good, despite the hype. They've been gashed by every running back they've faced this season. Let's see how Taliaferro does against a stronger D-line and quicker linebackers.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: