Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

53 man roster discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, and Ward is going to be a good one. Our back end will have three play makers this upcoming year and that is huge. As long as they don't take too many risks, we should have a good mixture of solid coverage skills+play making ability.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds so much like what we must have been thinking about Ward that I thought I'd put it here. Also, I don't know a whole lot about Bethea. So I liked reading a bit about him, and especially reading about his cover skills. If they are indeed better than Whitner, that will be a real plus for our defense.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds so much like what we must have been thinking about Ward that I thought I'd put it here. Also, I don't know a whole lot about Bethea. So I liked reading a bit about him, and especially reading about his cover skills. If they are indeed better than Whitner, that will be a real plus for our defense.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitner was very impressive in coverage last year so it will be tough for Bethea to top him in that category. Still, lets see what Bethea could do with a potential ferocious pass rush. Obviously with Smith likely to get suspended for at least 2-4 games, it will be interesting to see how secondary performs in the early going.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFF's roster rating for us. Don't agree with Reid being considered average. I also think Aldon and Bowman should be considered elite.
xXFlyteXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEEDtheILLUSION wrote:

PFF's roster rating for us. Don't agree with Reid being considered average. I also think Aldon and Bowman should be considered elite.

How is Justin Smith just a good starter.... I swear this man gets little respect and does so much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not sure why Smith or Bowman aren't elite. Bowman according to their rankings has finished 1st in 2011 and 2013, while finishing 7th in 2012. How is that not elite? Smith wasn't a starter in 2011 and missed five games last year so I guess I could see why they don't have him as elite.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Yeah, not sure why Smith or Bowman aren't elite. Bowman according to their rankings has finished 1st in 2011 and 2013, while finishing 7th in 2012. How is that not elite? Smith wasn't a starter in 2011 and missed five games last year so I guess I could see why they don't have him as elite.

Yeah, it's really puzzling to me. In comparison, here are some players with elite grades: J.J. Watt, Andre Johnson, Ndamukong Suh, Calvin Johnson, Peyton Manning, Von Miller, Joe Thomas, Andrew Whitworth, Geno Atkins, Brandon Marshall, Kyle Williams, Drew Brees, Jimmy Graham, Jairus Byrd, Rob Gronkowski, Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Justin Houston, Dontari Poe, Jamaal Charles, Eric Berry, Robert Mathis, Rodgers, Josh Sitton, Clay Matthews, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Marshawn Lynch.

There are still some teams yet to be done; this is from Atlanta to the Jets, and they showed the Seahawks and Niners in a free portion of an ESPN Insider article.

IMO, if Clay, Mathis, and Houston are elite, Aldon is too.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEEDtheILLUSION wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Yeah, it's really puzzling to me. In comparison, here are some players with elite grades: J.J. Watt, Andre Johnson, Ndamukong Suh, Calvin Johnson, Peyton Manning, Von Miller, Joe Thomas, Andrew Whitworth, Geno Atkins, Brandon Marshall, Kyle Williams, Drew Brees, Jimmy Graham, Jairus Byrd, Rob Gronkowski, Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Justin Houston, Dontari Poe, Jamaal Charles, Eric Berry, Robert Mathis, Rodgers, Josh Sitton, Clay Matthews, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Marshawn Lynch.

There are still some teams yet to be done; this is from Atlanta to the Jets, and they showed the Seahawks and Niners in a free portion of an ESPN Insider article.

IMO, if Clay, Mathis, and Houston are elite, Aldon is too.

I see PFF, and I immediately hit the ignore button in my brain. Their statistical presentation is interesting, but their conclusions are obnoxious.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 317
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 1045
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see why they didn't have him or Smith elite. This is projections for the upcoming season and with Bowman's injury and Smith's suspension, that disqualified them from being elite.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Ah, I see why they didn't have him or Smith elite. This is projections for the upcoming season and with Bowman's injury and Smith's suspension, that disqualified them from being elite.

with that i still think boone justin and reid should be all up a level

new sig... sorry alex
49ersfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we've got some minor shake-ups since i posted my first prediction. My current 53 man roster projection is as follows

QB- Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert, Josh Johnson
RB/FB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Carlos Hyde, Marcus Lattimore, Bruce Miller
TE- Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
WR- Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, Stevie Johnson, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton, Kassim Osgood
OL- Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Jonathan Martin, Marcus Martin, Joe Looney

DL- Justin Smith, Ian Williams, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Tank Carradine, Tony Jerrod-Eddie, Quinton Dial
ILB- Patrick Willis, Chris Borland, Blake Costanzo, Shane Skov
OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta, Aaron Lynch
CB- Tramaine Brock, Chris Culliver, Chris Cook, Jimmie Ward, Dontae Johnson, Kenneth Acker
S- Eric Reid, Antoine Bethea, CJ Spillman, Bubba Ventrone

K- Phil Dawson
P- Andy Lee
LS- Kevin McDermott

Suspended/PUP/IR- Aldon Smith, NaVarro Bowman, Brendan Thomas, Trey Millard, Keith Reaser

Notable cuts- LaMichael James, Brandon Lloyd, Adam Snyder, Demarcus Dobbs, Michael Wilhoite, Craig Dahl

-This is the roster i THINK we'll have. Its also mostly the roster i'd have myself, except i would personally let Gore go to carry over those 6.5 million dollars of cap savings for future years.

-I'm psyched at all the young talent we have. Carradine, Lattimore, Patton, Lemonier, Ward, Hyde, Martin, Borland, Ellington. We could possibly have a huge infusion of young talent, while already having a lot of steady vets. Should be fun to see how they develop. Most excited for Carradine and Ellington.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather only carry two QBs.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I'd rather only carry two QBs.

Agreed - + Wilhoite over Skov, Morris over Acker, and then keep one of Lloyd/Carrier/James in place of Johnson (or if Skov/Acker show enough, keep one of them). This is still leaving notable guys like Cox and Moody off the team on top of the ones already mentioned. This isn't to say that I don't think the above roster is possible or realistic (I think it's definitely both and has a good chance of shaking out like that). It's just my thoughts. I could also see Dahl over Ventrone, as both have a lot of Special Teams value, but Dahl has a bit more versatility on defense (not ideal, and hopefully with Ward he'd be the 5th safety, but a possibility).

Wilhoite I think is getting dumped on because of the new toys (Borland/Skov) and people are forgetting that he proved to be a capable starter already and a solid contributor overall. He's definitely worth keeping. Morris has been nickelback at minicamp right now, and given his blazing speed I think he's got a bit more upside than Acker at the moment, but that one I'm far less confident on - just a hunch.

Either way - the depth on this team is crazy, even compared to last year, so players that would easily have made the roster in the past are going to be on the outside looking in. I can definitely see the team shopping guys like Morris/Wilhoite/Moody/James/Dobbs and possibly even guys like Looney/Jerrod-Eddie to see what they might be able to get in return. The latter group are certainly valuable as back-ups, but people need to go, and if we can get picks in return then it might be worth it, because they all project to be solid contributors, but won't have much of a chance at starting full-time on this team longterm with all the younger future starters hanging around. Plus, even guys on the 53 to start the season are likely going to have to leave to eventually make room for Aldon/Bowman. Get what you can, while you can.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 317
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 1045
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Borland wins the starting ILB position, I could then see Skov or Moody over Whilhoite.

I also want to keep Morris as he is an intriguing CB that is a solid STs performer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: