Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

53 man roster discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swift21

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alex Boone not happy with current contract and likely will miss voluntary OTAs. Question is whether he will miss mandatory minicamp June 16.

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/471376713276850177

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
AMG1713

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll post this one here:

Quote:
The Sacramento Bee thinks 49ers contract-year LG Mike Iupati could become the highest-paid guard in the league next offseason and may not be re-signed by San Francisco.
The 49ers have set themselves up for life beyond Iupati. They drafted Clemson OG Brandon Thomas and C/G Marcus Martin in the third round earlier this month. Both players had first-round grades. Thomas (torn ACL) will "redshirt" on I.R. Iupati, 27, is in the final year of his rookie deal. The 49ers still need to pay Colin Kaepernick and possibly Michael Crabtree, who are both in the final years of their rookie deals. Iupati, a terrific run blocker, will command $8-9 million annually.

I'm okay with Iupati walking at this point. I think the writing was on the wall that the team is ready to let him walk too when we took Brandon Thomas. Hopefully we can get a huge contract year out of him.

I'm on the fence about letting Crabtree walk. I want him back, but I think he might ask for too much. However, I get the feeling that he's not gonna get offered as much as some of us expect if he hits the market. There are a lot of good WRs who could hit the FA market next year, and he could get lost in the shuffle.
AMG1713

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift21 wrote:
Quote:
Alex Boone not happy with current contract and likely will miss voluntary OTAs. Question is whether he will miss mandatory minicamp June 16.

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/471376713276850177

That's not good... but I think he'd be easier to sign than Iupati.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The #49ers waived T Luke Marquardt & waived LB Morgan Breslin. They signed tryout participants LB Chase Thomas and TE Kevin Greene.

i thought breslin had a shot of being in our longterm plans. ps or ir this year and then practice squad or possibly 53 next year. chase is good too though, but doesnt offer the upside or pass rush compared to breslin imo

boone was told to do this by his agent im guessing. he is being severely underpaid, but we took a chance on him. and paid him before he had a solid start under him. he does deserve more but he signed it and has to finish it out. but i do understand him sitting out and wanting more, he does indeed deserve it. i remember media guys asking him last year about if he thought he deserved more bc his play. and he basically said, no comment but all i can do is play and show them

new sig... sorry alex
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is a power move directed by his agent. I DO think we will keep him over Iupati since he will be cheaper to re-sign. If for some reason we can't re-sign him, we could go with:

Staley Thomas Kilgore Martin Davis

Not bad on paper.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its highly likely that we sign Boone to an extension and move him to LG next year after letting Iupati walk.

Staley-Boone-Martin-Thomas-Davis

That's the O-Line with the potential to be the best for the right price IMO come 2015

Props to Peppers90 on the sig

Point Pacific. TTKA
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park, wondering if I should throw my levis into the fire
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for signing boone to an extension next off season. We don't really have the cap space to do it this year I don't think. I doubt he holds out though.

He is our best lineman IMO. Its incredible he's been able to play g as well as he has, he's elite in both pass pro and is a mauler in the run game. I also like that hes our swing tackle.

I don't understand why you would move him to left guard though. Him and Davis work well together, I see no reason to change it
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudKicker wrote:
I think its highly likely that we sign Boone to an extension and move him to LG next year after letting Iupati walk.

Staley-Boone-Martin-Thomas-Davis

That's the O-Line with the potential to be the best for the right price IMO come 2015

And that's why this year's draft might be a bit under-appreciated right now, but if this happens, it gives this draft a chance to become another great one.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Frank Gore...but i think his 6.5 mil cap charge could be put to better use. Kaep's extension, possibly giving Boone and/or Vernon new deals, carrying over to the next year...that money could be really useful.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
49ersfan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/statuses/472147354192072705

Quote:
#49ers reached an injury settlement with tackle Luke Marquardt, who suffered a foot fracture in practice.

So this means he's off the team entirely, right? Not even on IR?
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/statuses/472147354192072705

Quote:
#49ers reached an injury settlement with tackle Luke Marquardt, who suffered a foot fracture in practice.

So this means he's off the team entirely, right? Not even on IR?

They have to reach an injury settlement before putting him on IR, I think. I remember they had to do it with Okoye last year, in order to put him on IR. And probably with Marquardt himself. There must be different types on contracts, I guess. I think they did it with Breslin as well, this year. Maybe it's different with the other, more regular, rookie contracts, which probably have provisions for IR and such. UDFA deals must be different from drafted players deals.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
CloudKicker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
I love Frank Gore...but i think his 6.5 mil cap charge could be put to better use. Kaep's extension, possibly giving Boone and/or Vernon new deals, carrying over to the next year...that money could be really useful.

Interesting concept. I think the 49ers will definitely approach him and ask him to restructure since he likely won't play enough to warrant that high of a salary, nor produce enough (Which in my mind justifies any player skipping OTA's should they over-perform their contract).

I would be hesitant to cut him because he had another 1,000 yard season last year. I don't think Hunter is a #1 runner and we don't know what Hyde or Lattimore can give us.

Props to Peppers90 on the sig

Point Pacific. TTKA
AMG1713

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:

Yeah, I called for a pay cut for Gore even before free agency. If he was cut at the start of FA, there is no way he'd get 6.5 mil from another team with how soft the RB market has been. He doesn't really hold any leverage either, because none of it is guaranteed. It really boggles my mind that we didn't even approach him about it.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

Yeah, I called for a pay cut for Gore even before free agency. If he was cut at the start of FA, there is no way he'd get 6.5 mil from another team with how soft the RB market has been. He doesn't really hold any leverage either, because none of it is guaranteed. It really boggles my mind that we didn't even approach him about it.

I know it's a business, but that may be called respect. We don't "absolutely" need that 6.5, or parts of it. I know 8 million of cap space doesn't look like a lot, when you have a QB and a couple others to extend, but it's possible. Most fans seem to think Kap would get 18m right away, but we can very easily extend him now to an extension that truly kicks in next year and give him only a slight raise this year. He's already under contract for this year, any extension that offers him even just a million more for this year is really just a bonus for him, and something we don't even need to give him. It would more likely just be the proration of his signing bonus anyway. There are plenty of ways to give him guaranteed money that won't impact our cap this year nearly as much as many think. And we could do that AND re-work Boone's deal, only with 8m in cap space. So, there's no absolute need to give Gore a paycut, right now. If it came to that, he could be approached, but right now, there's no need. As you mentioned it, none of his salary his guaranteed, so he can be cut at ANY time. There truly was no need to do it months ago.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just put it here.

“We saw a lot of things we liked in him (before the draft) – the range and the ball skills. But I don’t think we ever dreamed we would get what we ended up getting. He exceeded all our expectations.” The team "needed a defensive back who could be used against opponents who played catch-up by trotting out three or more receivers in the second half of games."

The coach and General Manager "figured they’d turn him into a cornerback and have him compete for a role in an alignment when five defensive backs were employed." It didn’t take long for them to change their plan. “The first practice of minicamp – boom! – he intercepts a pass,” ... “This was his first practice. He couldn’t even find the lunch room. The second practice of minicamp, he intercepts another pass. Third practice – I think he had two interceptions. “We saw a lot of things we liked in him (before the draft) – the range and the ball skills. But I don’t think we ever dreamed we would get what we ended up getting. He exceeded all our expectations.”

Please check this link for details.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/08/6467882/49ers-counting-on-bethea-for-veteran.html#storylink=cpy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: