Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How soon before Bridgewater should start?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
I don't remember any stories like that about Ponder.

Sounds like Teddy is a true student of the game and sounds like a natural leader.

Maybe that's because Ponder didn't have mini camps to attend.
Purplepride323

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start him from Day 1 because of 2 reasons.

1. Adrian Peterson is not getting any younger. Our mentality should be win now and Teddy Bridgewater gives us the best chance to win because he is the most talented out of our QBs.

2. Matt Cassel and Christian Ponder are not going to take us anywhere. Come on man, give Teddy the ball.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplepride323 wrote:
Start him from Day 1 because of 2 reasons.

1. Adrian Peterson is not getting any younger. Our mentality should be win now and Teddy Bridgewater gives us the best chance to win because he is the most talented out of our QBs.

We dont need to win now for Peterson. He is just a single player and isnt bigger than the organization. Its a QB driven league, MNs best shot of winning is to have a great passing game and a reliable defense. Peterson hasnt been part of the equation in terms of fielding a consistent winner.

Quote:
2. Matt Cassel and Christian Ponder are not going to take us anywhere. Come on man, give Teddy the ball.

If Bridgewater earns the job, he should start. You dont want to rush him.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer: "I really don't care where his jersey ranks, or sales or anything like that. We're going to bring Teddy along at the right time.''

Bridgewater: "My attitude is really to just get better each and every day and try to make the guys in the room that I'm in better players also."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_25779476/vikings-mike-zimmer-popular-or-not-teddy-bridgewater"

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
xmichaelp

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be best to start him after the initial rough patch of games to start the season, so long as he's ready. The new defense should be gelling better by then too.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All nine of the quarterbacks selected in the first round from 2011 to 2013 made at least five starts as rookies. Six of those first-round quarterbacks started for their respective teams in Week 1. According to ESPN Stats and Info, 69 percent of the quarterbacks drafted in the first round since 2008 started in Week 1 and those quarterbacks, including the ones who didn’t play in Week 1, started an average of 12.3 games as rookies. Contrast that with the numbers from 1970 to 2007, when just 20 percent of the first-round QBs started right away and made an average of 5.4 starts.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/262382511.html

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer: "In my mind I have Cassel as the No. 1 quarterback going into camp. I don't have a starter in mind yet. The players are going to determine who the starter is on the practice field about how they go about their business, how they perform in the preseason games. I understand the quarterback's a big situation. I have no problem playing a rookie quarterback, or a ninth-year veteran or a fourth-year veteran. We're going to do what we think is best collectively as a group. I'm lucky as heck to have Norv Turner here to help with this decision. I was lucky to have him in the draft process to help there and, honestly, our scouts."

"[The practice reps will] not exactly be even -- one-third, one-third, one-third. It's a little bit more and then some drills it's going to be a little bit less. You'll figure it out by watching practice. Like I said from Day 1 I want everyone to compete for positions. I believe the better you compete the better you get. People don't get complacent. They study harder. They work harder on the practice field. So I want to make sure everyone has the opportunity to play. The reps can't all be the same but they will be similar at the beginning, and we'll start backing them down some."

"Part of the question about answering who the quarterback's going to be is: what kind of defense do we have? What are we going to ask the quarterback to do? How can we use the quarterback in different ways? I think a lot of that has a factor on who the quarterback will end up being."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Matt_Cassel_enters_training_camp_as_No_1_QB_in_Mike_Zimmers_mind072414

Webmaster wrote:
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Segall posted this on Twitter (in a series of tweets). It makes sense to me:

The thing with Cassel is, when he has a great team around him he puts together a very good season. First w/ Pats, then Chiefs in 2010. He's the quintessential QB who goes as the team goes. He won't raise it, but he won't lower it either. With an incredibly solid offense around him & very good OC, all Cassel needs to have a good '14 is for D to not constantly put them behind. Does this mean we'll be waiting until 2015 to see Teddy, in theory? It's vaguely possible, but I don't think likely regardless. If Teddy begins to explode in practice at some point, team will find excuse. The second Cassel gets a ding anywhere near head, it begins. Look for a Kaep/Smith style transition at some point. The cool thing is, I think Cassel will be surprisingly OK with it too. Not thrilled, of course, but a consummate professional. With Flash, Jennings, Rudy, and AD, it's hard for a QB to have a bad season. Granted, happened to 3 last year, so...
Krauser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/08/15/matt-cassel-teddy-bridgewater-quarterback-mike-zimmer/14108317/

^^ Tom Pelissero stops by Mankato and talks to some of his sources in the locker room, comes away convinced Cassel will be the starter

Quote:
The feeling around Vikings camp is that Cassel is the guy. He was always the guy, even though the Vikings signed him for two years and $10.5 million months before they knew they'd trade up and draft his eventual successor in the first round.

Quote:
Cassel, 32, won over the locker room last season amid mass quarterback chaos. Players believed they could win with him in the huddle. Zimmer said Cassel has "done a phenomenal job so far in this preseason and in camp, making the calls and getting things out in the right way."

Bridgewater, 21, has had an impressive camp, too. There's no doubt within the organization his time is coming. But he struggled to see the field against the Raiders, had some shaky moments in practice this week and admitted to reporters Thursday he has been overthinking.

That some of Bridgewater's veteran teammates privately say they are certain it will be Cassel against the Rams in St. Louis on Sept. 7 — and perhaps far beyond that — is another strong hint, though Zimmer says he won't be taking players' temperature on his first big call as head coach.

"If I listened to them with everything, it'd be a rough route," Zimmer said. "I have to do what I feel like is best for the organization — not only this year but in the future — and that might be Cassel. But it might be Teddy, too."

The latter would be an upset. And if Cassel and Bridgewater perform the same way against the Cardinals on Saturday night as they did against the Raiders, Zimmer may have his decision before he goes to sleep.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nice knowing that Bridgewater doesnt have to start right away. Sure, we all want that era to begin, but I think its going to be hard for him to steal the job away from Cassel.
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pelissero, but I think things are going way too smoothly for the vikings right now.

Time for Cassel to spectacularly flame out in the first and Teddy to tear it up in the second half vs the Cards! Razz
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be rough waters for whomever gets the nod for our 1st half of the season.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Krauser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
It's going to be rough waters for whomever gets the nod for our 1st half of the season.

Obviously the Vikings will need some sort of Bridge over those rough Waters...

Very Happy
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:

Very Happy

Does the Bridge over those rough Waters lead to a Cassel?

If not, we'll have to Ponder a new solution...

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Krauser wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:

Very Happy

Does the Bridge over those rough Waters lead to a Cassel?

If not, we'll have to Ponder a new solution...

Applause

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 7 of 18

Jump to: