Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How soon before Bridgewater should start?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: How soon before Bridgewater should start? Reply with quote

we'll start off the discussion with this view of Judd Zulgad:

The most important thing the Vikings can do for Bridgewater is exercise great patience. Everyone from Spielman on down must be on board with this approach. It doesn't matter if starter Matt Cassel struggles to start the season, or even if he is injured, Bridgewater's playing time in 2014 should in no way be tied to the veteran.

If Cassel struggles or is injured, the immediate cry will be to play Bridgewater and forget about Ponder. Teams can say that the fans and media don't impact their thinking at all, but that is a lie. No one with the Vikings is going to enjoy the potentially toxic environment this fall at TCF Bank Stadium, if Cassel has to come out of a game and Ponder trots on the field, while Bridgewater holds a clipboard.

The Vikings would be wise to trade or cut Ponder - he is due only $1.8 million this season, so the move would be easy - and sign a veteran cheap to be the No. 2 QB. It should be made clear that the second quarterback is the primary backup to Cassel and that Bridgewater will not be rushed. If all goes according to plan, Bridgewater can then be given the opportunity to take over as the starter in 2015, or when Turner believes he's ready to play.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulgad_Vikings_should_find_backup_QB_so_they_dont_rush_Bridgewater050914

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
meixdaddy_10

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 17 unless Playoffs are on the line

I would love to see Bridgewater sit the entire year and just learn the playbook and not feel rushed. But i would love to see him start the last week only if weve been eliminated from the playoffs. It would be nice to see where hes at as far as getting a feel for him.
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

day 1 starter. he is the best QB on the roster.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 1 2015.

The plan was to start Cassel and redshirt the rookie. No need to change the plan.
Knarr

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say a year to be the main starter at least. Not much worse than sending anyone in that isn't ready, maybe give him some spot playtime to get some nerves out and see what he has in real situations.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to go with Cassel to start the season. If Cassel is playing poorly around midseason, that is when you make the switch.
Boda

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridgewater needs to start when he is ready. I don't care if it's week 1 this year or week 1 in three years from now just don't rush him onto the field until he's ready.

Last edited by Boda on Sat May 10, 2014 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
fishtanked

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as Turner feels he is ready and he is seen as the best QB on the roster. Whether that be week one or 2016.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is absolutely punched in as the starter after a year.

This year just read and listen to the coaches. It's going to be open competition for everyone. (except Ponder *cough*) If Bridgewater is good enough to start then he will week one.

Ideally Cassell plays up to his max potential and Teddy can bulk up a bit and master the offense.

Zimmer will not hesitate to put in the top guy at any position regardless of salary or perceived starter status. I love it.
Krauser

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a QB competition, expect Bridgewater to win it. He's by far the best QB on the team.

But if they feel that playing him as a rookie will be detrimental compared to spending a year on the bench, they shouldn't make it a competition, just give it to Cassel for the whole year. It could be worse, he should be good enough in Turner's system to keep the team competitive. A slightly better offense plus a much better defense should get the team to 8-8, which is fine for this year.

If Cassel is going to start 16 games, Ponder should be the backup. He's a good enough backup, and he's paid for. Zulgad has been on a mission to get Ponder cut no matter what, he'd make the same argument if they drafted a QB in the 7th round instead of the 1st. It would be wasteful to cut Ponder, who's done nothing in public to complain about the backup role -- making a beat reporter feel better about the world shouldn't be a priority.

If Cassel is going to start all year, Bridgewater shouldn't even dress for games. That way there's no question of him coming in, no matter what the fans reaction to that would be.

I don't think Bridgewater really needs a red shirt rookie year, but they're making a long-term investment in his development, and can afford to be patient with him. Sights are set on 2015 and beyond as the window where this team should become and stay competitive, and if Bridgewater develops as we hope, they'll be a real contender.
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassel for 2014, plan to have Teddy start come 2015.

I expect this defense to be vastly improved thanks to Zimmer. And if that happens, look at what the Bengals did last year with Andy Dalton as their QB. Matt Cassel is a better QB than Dalton 75% of the time. If Minnesota's defense approaches top 10 territory, they could certainly be competing for a playoff berth. The roster can get acclimated to fighting for a playoff spot, the pressure and expectations that come with.

Then in 2015, Teddy (and his higher ceiling than Cassel) can come into a good situation and keep the momentum going forward.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boda wrote:
Bridgewater needs to start when he is ready. I don't care if it's week 1 this year or week 1 in three years from now just don't rush him onto the field until he's ready.

fishtanked wrote:
As soon as Turner feels he is ready and he is seen as the best QB on the roster. Whether that be week one or 2016.

Last edited by Klomp on Sat May 10, 2014 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
alldayap

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
If there's a QB competition, expect Bridgewater to win it. He's by far the best QB on the team.

^ This. I expect Bridgewater to win the competition if what Zimmer is saying is true. Teddy was the most pro-ready QB in the draft, and with his smarts, I think he will be able to handle the pressure from day one.

If the coaches decide to go with Cassel to start the year, then fine, but I do not see Teddy having to sit for the entire year.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boda wrote:

I agree with this. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind letting Cassell start the first 5 games of the season

But I think whenever Turner and Bridgewater feel ready. I am up for whatever

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel great about the offense, so if Bridgewater does have to start day one, he will be in a good position to do well. He has veteran receivers and Oline, some explosive weapons on offense and Peterson.

MN is likely the best place for a young QB to step in and start (of the teams drafting QBs).

If the defense can improve to at least average, that will be big as well.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: