Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 64th pick in the 2014 NFl draft, Seattle selects...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wee-Bey


Joined: 15 Apr 2013
Posts: 722
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
As per your question. Sweezy, for a 7th rounder, has shown consistent improvement and is as good as you can ask for. Bowie is excellent value in the 7th as is Bailey as an UDFA.

It's impossible to say right now with Bailey and Bowie, so I'll wait too. But I have some high hopes for them. I've challenged this FO's ability to draft OL before anyone else and I still do. That doesn't mean I'm going to condemn a guy before looking at him when it's clear none of these experts have actually ever looked at him either


I'm not condemning the player, I'm condemning the pick, because there was better value at his position when we selected him.

If we grab Britt in the 4th, whatever, but the 2nd round when starting talent is right there? It's senseless, and inexcusable.
_________________
eagles18 wrote:
With the exception of the 4 INTs that Luck threw, he played admirable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 29430
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
We didn't draft him to play guard. We drafted a swing tackle because no one on our roster really can play LT


Right, but RT was supposed to be a battle between Bowie and Bailey. Now we have a tackle that can both tackle spots and possibly start down the line. Isn't that a player you take later in the draft? A versatile back-up? Especially when we have twice the need at guard, I don't buy that "our guy was gone" crap from the FO because no guard had been selected before we traded down.

I completely understand the anger in passing on XSF just to end up with a player like Britt.
_________________


Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Finchy


Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 1936
Location: It Was Just Banter
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about him, but he apparently owned Clowney, so he's got that going for him.

Cable said he'd compete with Bowie for the RT spot, but can also play guard. Bailey will back-up Okung, and he still loves him some Carp and said Sweezy is gonna be a star.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NFL_Announcer


Joined: 31 Mar 2010
Posts: 694
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the pick at all.

I LOVE the Richardson pick. IMO he's the best BURNER WR of the draft. Yes I expect him to battle injuries in the NFL but whatever. When he's on the field watch out. Harvin/Richardson/Baldwin creates a very dangerous WR core that has ridiculous 'home run' potential. You can't ignore that and have to get VERY physical at the line with that core. If they are left to just run the route good f'ing game.

The Britt pick.. the F? Give me some Louis Nix there.

My DREAM draft would've been:

2nd: Richardson
2nd: Louis Nix
4th: Britt (not going to pretend that I know the prospects that far down, just know Seattle could've had him with our early 4th).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoS


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 3759
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
I also find the "wait and see" approach to be a tad bit of a cop-out argument. We aren't watching the draft to wait and see, we wan't to know which players go where because we have certain expectations. If it doesn't matter who we take, because they haven't hit the field yet, why bother watching? Also, why do you even like certain players...if their status is in just as much question as some of the picks you defend?
Have you actually watched tape of Britt? If the answer is no, I don't know how you can't choose a wait and see approach until you look at tape.

That's why I'm about bust out 2 or three games of tape on Britt.



I'm with Tats. I'm going to take some time to watch some of his games before forming a concrete opinion. But I also agree with you that this front office hasn't earned our trust with the OL group, so they should hold the burden of proof. When it really comes down to it, I don't just want them to draft their highest rated OT once, I want them to draft multiple offensive lineman and get some serious competition for the starting spots. I'm tired of having a patchwork offensive line when you have your franchise QB running for his life back there.

In a perfect world, the offensive line would turn out to be something like:

Okung / Bailey / Unger / Dozier / Britt


Where Bailey, Dozier, and Britt all earned their positions.
_________________
DudeWhat?? wrote:
If I am a starting QB and my back up is Kellen Clemens..i would only have one question...."Turn up for what?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bigjoe0075


Joined: 18 Nov 2009
Posts: 2147
Location: Eastern Washinton
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immuhguy10 wrote:
Bigjoe0075 wrote:
Missing out on Bitinio 5 picks before we drafted hurt more than Britt. Bitinio will end up being special. Just watch.

As far as Britt goes I haven't watched tape on him. Like his size but he has short arms and He will need to get stronger at this level.

Cable does like his late round projects we just got one in the 2nd round. Laughing

Not going to worry about this pick too much. They see something that they will be able to zero in on and build on.


Had multiple opportunities to have Bitinio, so I highly doubt we feel we missed out.


I feel we missed out. And what if that was the guy they thought they could have gotten at #40 but missed out....you don't know! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoS


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 3759
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching his games now forming my own opinion, but here's what Rob Rang has to say (and I generally agree with his evaluations):

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Looks the part of today's prototypical left tackle, possessing impressive height, very long arms and a trim middle. Good initial quickness, especially as a run blocker, firing off the ball to turn and seal defenders from the action. Physical. Gets a strong initial shove on the opponent, which oftentimes is enough to knock them onto their heels.
He has a wide base with good bend and flexibility in his kick-slide to keep the pocket clean. Plays with his knees bent, butt down and on the balls on his feet, giving him good balance. Slides well laterally to mirror defenders and uses his arm length and powerful shoves to keep opponents at bay. Good awareness and competitive spirit. Peels back to knock down unsuspecting defenders in pursuit of ball-carriers.

Experienced left and right tackle and some view him as a potential guard convert due to his power and tenacity.

WEAKNESSES: Possesses good initial quickness but tops-out quickly and too often isn't able to get to the second level in time to make the block on linebackers. Relies upon his initial shove too often, stopping his feet to get the emphatic punch on opponents and failing to latch on and sustain.

Will be viewed by some as a bit of a 'tweener as he may not possess the foot speed to remain outside but may be too tall for most quarterbacks to see over and has never played guard. Requires a thorough medical examination at the Combine as Britt missed the final three and a half games of 2012 with a torn ACL. Previously in the year, he suffered a fractured foot that kept him out of spring practice.

COMPARES TO: David Bakhtiari, Green Bay Packers - A year ago the former Colorado Buffalo caught my attention as a gritty pass-blocker with an impressive punch many were underrating, presumably because of the team's struggles to win games. Britt is taller than Bakhtiari and because of Missouri's sudden improvement against SEC competition, he's less likely to be overlooked. If healthy, he's a potential Day Three sleeper who could surprise as a contributor early in his pro career.

--Rob Rang

_________________
DudeWhat?? wrote:
If I am a starting QB and my back up is Kellen Clemens..i would only have one question...."Turn up for what?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Meeker


Joined: 01 Apr 2006
Posts: 6761
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
The player being a Tackle with Injury history that can't move to guard without serious development and luck having A) Never played the Position


He clearly stated in his interview with seahawks.com that he had played every position on the OL in college but mostly played LT.

imani wrote:
Right, but RT was supposed to be a battle between Bowie and Bailey.


You don't know this as a fact, thats what you thought. There were just as many people that believe they could end up at OG, where both saw time during the season as well.

sirensong wrote:
No Im questioning talent evaluators of OL talent, that have taken Carpenter, Moffit and now Britt and left our OL a complete mess with miss after miss on the OL.


I'm not saying theres no room to question, but they also brought in and developed Giacomini (although he was a FA, he was certainly developed here), Sweezy (may not be a Pro Bowler, but he is a good guard), and Bowie (who played very well for a rookie). The main problem on the line has not been talent, but injuries...which IMO is a big reason why we picked Britt, since he can play LT and Okung has missed 4+ games in 3 of his 4 seasons.


You can say wait and see is a cop out, but after all the years I've followed the draft...its the best option. We pick our favorite prospects and are thrilled when our team picks them and curse them when they pass, but often when we look back those players end up being nothing more than average players at best, with hits and misses mixed in.
_________________


Last edited by Meeker on Fri May 09, 2014 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Finchy


Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 1936
Location: It Was Just Banter
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Tom-Cable-Draft-Day-2-Press-Conference-/f5a7b834-aa92-46f2-aec3-ae2283be9118

Tom Cable interview about the pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tatupu_64


Moderator
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 21833
Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
We didn't draft him to play guard. We drafted a swing tackle because no one on our roster really can play LT


Right, but RT was supposed to be a battle between Bowie and Bailey. Now we have a tackle that can both tackle spots and possibly start down the line. Isn't that a player you take later in the draft? A versatile back-up? Especially when we have twice the need at guard, I don't buy that "our guy was gone" crap from the FO because no guard had been selected before we traded down.

I completely understand the anger in passing on XSF just to end up with a player like Britt.
I don't know when it was ever said Bailey would be competing for RT other than some speculation by us. Bailey as the size of a Guard and that's realistically where we should expect him to compete.
_________________
<Ram
BlaqOptic wrote:
...13 Seahawks one spot over the 08 Steelers

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 29430
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
We didn't draft him to play guard. We drafted a swing tackle because no one on our roster really can play LT


Right, but RT was supposed to be a battle between Bowie and Bailey. Now we have a tackle that can both tackle spots and possibly start down the line. Isn't that a player you take later in the draft? A versatile back-up? Especially when we have twice the need at guard, I don't buy that "our guy was gone" crap from the FO because no guard had been selected before we traded down.

I completely understand the anger in passing on XSF just to end up with a player like Britt.
I don't know when it was ever said Bailey would be competing for RT other than some speculation by us. Bailey as the size of a Guard and that's realistically where we should expect him to compete.


Weird, because he competed at RT/LT last training camp and was just labeled the back-up LT by cable. I believe he started a game at LT for us as well last year
_________________


Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012


Last edited by imani on Sat May 10, 2014 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 29430
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meeker wrote:
imani wrote:
The player being a Tackle with Injury history that can't move to guard without serious development and luck having A) Never played the Position


He clearly stated in his interview with seahawks.com that he had played every position on the OL in college but mostly played LT.



Quote:
Will be viewed by some as a bit of a 'tweener as he may not possess the foot speed to remain outside but may be too tall for most quarterbacks to see over and has never played guard. Requires a thorough medical examination at the Combine as Britt missed the final three and a half games of 2012 with a torn ACL. Previously in the year, he suffered a fractured foot that kept him out of spring practice.

With 24 starts at left tackle and six at right tackle, Britt has the experience against top competition necessary to make him an easy projection to the NFL. Still, considering the injuries he had in 2012, scouts were disappointed when Britt was unable to participate in the East-West Shrine Game.


http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700408/justin-britt

That's what I read. Maybe the link I provided has incorrect information


EDIT: Didn't even realize that SoS posted a link to the same article above. Funny that we went to the same place
_________________


Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tatupu_64


Moderator
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 21833
Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to read any scouting reports on him till I finish Laughing

I'm just watching Georgia (number 7 at the time they played, and beat, them) and S. Carolina (Clowney) tonight. I've watched Georgia so far. What I'll say that doesn't really relate to Britt is this:
-His QB has terrible pocket awareness
-He literally is running into the backs of OL guys because he's not looking where he's going (The QB)
-The QB tries to turn 3 step drops and quick hit passes into 7 step drop type plays. It just screws up the OL timing because they come out blocking differently
_________________
<Ram
BlaqOptic wrote:
...13 Seahawks one spot over the 08 Steelers

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 29430
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
We didn't draft him to play guard. We drafted a swing tackle because no one on our roster really can play LT


Right, but RT was supposed to be a battle between Bowie and Bailey. Now we have a tackle that can both tackle spots and possibly start down the line. Isn't that a player you take later in the draft? A versatile back-up? Especially when we have twice the need at guard, I don't buy that "our guy was gone" crap from the FO because no guard had been selected before we traded down.

I completely understand the anger in passing on XSF just to end up with a player like Britt.
I don't know when it was ever said Bailey would be competing for RT other than some speculation by us. Bailey as the size of a Guard and that's realistically where we should expect him to compete.


Here's a clip from a breaking down a game in which Bailey played LT, RG and RT. I'm not painting this as anything official, just saying that there's good reason to assume he'll be competing at RT.

http://ehhawkblog.wordpress.com/tag/alvin-bailey/

Quote:
Offensive Line Rotation Experiment Is a Success: When Michael Bowie was struggling through the Rams game two weeks ago I wondered why not substitute Alvin Bailey in at right tackle to try to shake things up. Today the Seahawks did that and then some. The Seahawks debuted a consistently interchanging offensive line lineup in todayís game and it worked very well, especially in the passing game. Russell Wilsonís confidence in the pocket grew as the game went on and the throws that he made were a reflection of that confidence as the Seahawks had 8 plays that went for 20 yards or more. Alvin Bailey saw playing time at left tackle, right guard, and right tackle while James Carpenter also saw time at both guard positions this week

_________________


Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Meeker


Joined: 01 Apr 2006
Posts: 6761
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
I'm with Tats. I'm going to take some time to watch some of his games before forming a concrete opinion. But I also agree with you that this front office hasn't earned our trust with the OL group, so they should hold the burden of proof. When it really comes down to it, I don't just want them to draft their highest rated OT once, I want them to draft multiple offensive lineman and get some serious competition for the starting spots. I'm tired of having a patchwork offensive line when you have your franchise QB running for his life back there.

In a perfect world, the offensive line would turn out to be something like:

Okung / Bailey / Unger / Dozier / Britt


Where Bailey, Dozier, and Britt all earned their positions.


What?

imani wrote:
Meeker wrote:
imani wrote:
The player being a Tackle with Injury history that can't move to guard without serious development and luck having A) Never played the Position


He clearly stated in his interview with seahawks.com that he had played every position on the OL in college but mostly played LT.



Quote:
Will be viewed by some as a bit of a 'tweener as he may not possess the foot speed to remain outside but may be too tall for most quarterbacks to see over and has never played guard. Requires a thorough medical examination at the Combine as Britt missed the final three and a half games of 2012 with a torn ACL. Previously in the year, he suffered a fractured foot that kept him out of spring practice.

With 24 starts at left tackle and six at right tackle, Britt has the experience against top competition necessary to make him an easy projection to the NFL. Still, considering the injuries he had in 2012, scouts were disappointed when Britt was unable to participate in the East-West Shrine Game.


http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700408/justin-britt

That's what I read. Maybe the link I provided has incorrect information


EDIT: Didn't even realize that SoS posted a link to the same article above. Funny that we went to the same place


I'l take the word of the player himself. He may not have started there nor have extensive experience...doesn't mean he has never played there.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group