Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 64th pick in the 2014 NFl draft, Seattle selects...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imani

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: With the 64th pick in the 2014 NFl draft, Seattle selects... Reply with quote

Justin Britt, OT, Missouri

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700408/justin-britt
Tatupu_64 wrote:
I've watched Georgia and South Carolina tape

General:
++So quick off the snap sometimes and looks natural moving in space at the second level
+Generally has good knee bend and doesn't rely too much on bending at the waist to get low
+/- Good effort but will quit on a block when he thinks the play is over. Its good that its not an effort thing, but I don't know how he hasn't got chewed out about it. Cable will light a fire under his butt when he quits on a Lynch run and he'll figure it out
+ Short term memory
- Needs to work on his strength. For 325 he doesn't show a lot of great upper body strength in the bench. It would be nice if he had that pop in pass pro. An NFL strength program will do great things for him in terms of putting on some more muscle and drop a little extra fat he doesn't need to carry
+/- Doesn't play out of a 3 point stance. On the flip side, a 3 point stance could help him with his pad level in pass pro
+Disciplined enough to not jump when the defender encroaches (Clowney at that)

Pass Blocking:
- - Sits back too much when he's in pass blocking generally. You generally WANT this from a tackle in pass pro, but he leans too far back and it causes him to let guys get into his chest and get knocked off balance
-Opens the door too much on his kickstep (after watching So Car too this really looks like it might be how he was taught..). When a guy really tries to loop he occasionally tries to punch before dropping into that kickstep
+When he puts himself in position he looks very good in pass pro. Does a good job of being patient with the defender and letting the defender come to him
- - Can be a little slow to recognize when to switch as a defender. In general needs to get better at recognizing his responsibility. Hopefully Unger can help with that
-Forgets to keep his feet going in slide protection sometimes. He sets himself up well often against Clowney but lets his feet go slow and it leaves him in a position of having to try to wash Clowney out of the play
+Looks athletic enough to actually handle a speed rusher, it's more of a technique issue
+Played surprisingly well against Clowney. It speaks volumes to his potential as a pass blocker when he keeps his feet live and doesn't sit too far back.

Run Blocking:
+ Great initial pop
++/- Gets excellent drive when he keeps his feet going, but sometimes relies too much on his initial pop. Drove Clowney 8 yards down the field on an inside run
+ Generally dictates where the defender goes rather than letting the defender dictate him
+ Gets his head on the correct side of the defender and does a good job at sealing off the defender
++ Looks natural double teaming as a zone blocker. To build off of that, he's really good at the second level. So quick of the snap and has the punch to knock down LBs and Safeties
+/- good cut blocker. This is a solid + if it's situations where he's asked to do it and a +/- if he's doing it out of desperation. I lean towards a straight +
+Walls off defenders well
-Can lunge at the 2nd level to try and get a guy down when he needs to be a little choppier and work up to the player

Assessment:
-He's a better athlete than I was expecting. Really quick off the snap and does such a great job getting to the 2nd level and looks good in the screen game too. As a pass blocker there's alot that needs to be refined in his game. The one thing I see over and over is that he sits too far back and it can cause him to get knocked off balance with a strong bull rush. He opens the door a little bit on his kickstep. He has his good moments in pass pro where everything comes together and you see good potential. Luckily, these are aspects that should be coachable.
-As a run blocker there's a lot to like. He gets great drive and seals blocks well. He's a natural as a zone blocker whether doubling, working to the backer, or cutting the backside defender. Has a natural feel for setting up the end on a draw. Gets too excited to pancake LBs and will sometimes lunge and almost dive. Shows a short term memory and doesn't seem to be affected by past plays. Needs to work on working the defender till the whistle in the run game

Bottom Line:
Mid to Late 5th rounder as a LT
Mid 3rd round prospect as a RT who can play LT in an emergency

We over-drafted him, but not by all that much in my opinion. It's easy for me right now to look at this with optimism because I want him to be good, but I admire them for going after him. He's obviously a guy Cable believes he can coach up. He's a better athlete than Breno and a better fit in the ZBS. IF Cable can work with him on keeping his feet going and finding his balance in pass pro I am warming up to the selection.

Whatever scout question his foot speed is an idiot.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
sirensong

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gross. Huge reach.

Why did we trade back? We just wasted our 1st 2 picks...
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
Gross. Huge reach.

Come on now. None of us know ANYTHING about him except what we've read aside from maybe one or two guys on here who have watched tape on him Laughing

I need to watch tape on him

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
sirensong

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Gross. Huge reach.

Come on now. None of us know ANYTHING about him except what we've read aside from maybe one or two guys on here who have watched tape on him Laughing

We have no buisness taking anyone there who has a 5th rd grade on them. This is the same crap as last year and we got no one out of that draft.

We could have XSF and Moses right now.
imani

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Gross. Huge reach.

We have no buisness taking anyone there who has a 5th rd grade on them. This is the same crap as last year and we got no one out of that draft.

it's true too...... Crying or Very sad

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

TheDudeAbides

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seahawk War Room camera should just be a blurry, out-of-focus shot of a dart board with pieces of paper tacked on. About 30 seconds before we call our pick in... John should fire a dart, walk up, grab the paper and get on the phone.

This would all make so much more sense. And it'd make Jim Harbaugh burst a blood vessel. Which would be nice.

TommyC376 on the Sig
imani

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should've taken Martin man, damn.

wwhickok wrote:

Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Gross. Huge reach.

Why? The only OL guy I'm completely sold on that we could've gotten is XFS

Moses, Kouj, Bitonio (though not so much), etc. They all have their faults. OL is a position where the "experts" are about as good as us at evaluating. Watch some tape and if you still hate him, so be it. But I really dislike how all of you judge a pick based of what an "expert" says

ram29jackson wrote:
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, why do we keep referencing how last years draft was a waste? I thought we all knew that was a draft building towards the future.

Percy, Michael, Bailey, Bowie, and Willson is a good draft Rolling Eyes

ram29jackson wrote:
sirensong

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Gross. Huge reach.

Why? The only OL guy I'm completely sold on that we could've gotten is XFS

Moses, Kouj, Bitonio (though not so much), etc. They all have their faults. OL is a position where the "experts" are about as good as us at evaluating. Watch some tape and if you still hate him, so be it. But I really dislike how all of you judge a pick based of what an "expert" says

Even if he pans out, hes a guy we could have easily had in the 4th. People are talking about him being available in the 7th. Love him or hate him, its a terrible value pick and the biggest reach this FO has made.

Its a bad pick, hope he pans out. Should never have been a 2nd rd pick.
imani

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like that he's never play guard before and is 6 foot 6, so I doubt it'll be a smooth transition for him playing inside. Pretty obvious why i would prefer someone like Martin. CAN move to guard (according to reports) and eventually replace Unger if necessary.

wwhickok wrote:

Meeker

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed a swing tackle and we got one.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Also, why do we keep referencing how last years draft was a waste? I thought we all knew that was a draft building towards the future.

Percy, Michael, Bailey, Bowie, and Willson is a good draft Rolling Eyes

Percy was thru trade, cant be counted when grading a draft. Michael was a reach and has done NOTHING so far and cant even get on the field.

Willson was a solid depth pick. And your talking about a 7th and an UDFA. Im talking about the fact our high picks have lately have been Carp, Michael and now this.

I like trading pick, but not giving up sure bets and an instant starter like XSF for a guy who might not ever see and NFL field just so we can gamble on a 2nd rd pick.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to keep in mind when you guys refer to Britt as a "5th Round Pick"...that's all media and draft expert stuff. Guys in the league have much different boards than outsiders. Britt might have been a 5th Round guy for Kiper but if the Seahawks had him highest on their board then obviously he was more than a 5th Rounder.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
SoS

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to pretend to trust the way this front office evaluates offensive line talent. What a joke.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: