Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 48th pick, the Ravens select... Timmy Jernigan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9098
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
If we don't switch to a 43 base then someone needs to be fired.


I think we could switch our base weekly based on matchups. We certainly have versatile personnel.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:
If we don't switch to a 43 base then someone needs to be fired.


I think we could switch our base weekly based on matchups. We certainly have versatile personnel.

We do, but I want Mosley, Smith, and Brown all on the field at once starting for every game. If not than I'll be disappointed. Those 3 LBs are too talented, athletic, and smart not to keep them out there IMO.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of this Jernigan pick... I also just thought about this:

Not only is Chris Canty's contract ending next season, but Haloti Ngata will now have significantly less leverage in negotiations. The DL depth is now stacked to move on with life without him if he overthinks his value. He's injury prone and making way too much money. We can now look to move on from him with Williams and Jernigan as our 43 DTs of the future... if Ngata tries to stranglehold us in negotiations.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcfields


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 716
Location: Coral Springs, FL
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the old adage: You make plays around players. Pees will have to bend to their abilities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9098
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
In terms of this Jernigan pick... I also just thought about this:

Not only is Chris Canty's contract ending next season, but Haloti Ngata will now have significantly less leverage in negotiations. The DL depth is now stacked to move on with life without him if he overthinks his value. He's injury prone and making way too much money. We can now look to move on from him with Williams and Jernigan as our 43 DTs of the future... if Ngata tries to stranglehold us in negotiations.


Let canty walk. Yet another comp pick in the making, muahahahah!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
In terms of this Jernigan pick... I also just thought about this:

Not only is Chris Canty's contract ending next season, but Haloti Ngata will now have significantly less leverage in negotiations. The DL depth is now stacked to move on with life without him if he overthinks his value. He's injury prone and making way too much money. We can now look to move on from him with Williams and Jernigan as our 43 DTs of the future... if Ngata tries to stranglehold us in negotiations.


Let canty walk. Yet another comp pick in the making, muahahahah!

Not just Canty, but Ngata will be an UFA after 2015... I think Jernigan definitely makes Ngata less likely to be back after that time. If Ngata overvalues himself as the Ravens look to extend him... we might look to move on... and considering Ngata's name brand, he could perhaps fetch back a 3rd round compensatory type contract for the 2016 NFL draft.

After watching Jernigan's tape, I can't say I'm the most impressed. Definitely a stout run stopper, but I didn't see much, if any, pass rushing capability from him. Granted... he's a 2nd round pick and not a 1st rounder... just figured he might offer a little more pass rush upside due to his combine athleticism. But I just don't see much burst show up on tape. And his short arms makes it difficult for him to quickly disengage himself and attack the passer.

I wonder who people would compare him to. I'm not sure I can think of a viable comparison for him. What's more I'm surprised he was considered a 1st round prospect. I do see violent hands and strength, but I don't see the pass rushing skillset that would've had him regarded as a 1st round player and better than some of the other DTs at the top of the board like Donald, Easley, etc.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
r_sayle


Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Posts: 367
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm going to call it. Pees gets fired and we hire Wade Phillips as Defensive coordinator
_________________
stay calm and trust Ozzie!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9098
Location: MD
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_sayle wrote:
Ok I'm going to call it. Pees gets fired and we hire Wade Phillips as Defensive coordinator


I think this would run counter to our recent personnel moves.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
r_sayle wrote:
Ok I'm going to call it. Pees gets fired and we hire Wade Phillips as Defensive coordinator


I think this would run counter to our recent personnel moves.

Yeah... and if Pees gets fired, it stands to reason that based on the current moves, we might be looking to make the switch to a 43 based scheme. Phillips is a 34 guy.

Based on the way Harbaugh operates it would make the most sense that we would either promote one of three coaches for the defensive coordinator position:
1. Ted Monachino- My personal favorite for the promotion. However his history with Harbaugh isn't particularly extensive. The Harbaugh loyalty might not have set in enough to give him the position. But Monachino has coached up Suggs and Kruger to very successful seasons. He has experience coaching both a 34 and 43 scheme. He's well respected, passionate, and tends to be aggressive. He'd be a perfect DC fit. Probably the best interior candidate we've got.

2. Don Martindale- We saw him out there with Dean Pees after the selection of CJ Mosley. He has a history with the Harbaugh family IIRC. And like many of our other DCs, he's tended to fail in other situations in a similar capacity. While we shouldn't want him running the defense, Harbaugh will probably pick him because puppies cry. This would be my least favorite promotion.

3. Steve Spagnuolo- Probably the most likely candidate. He has previous DC experience. He has a long history with Harbaugh. He's probably unlikely to get a HC job too soon due to previous failures. He has proven to produce a great pass rushing defense before his failures with the Rams and then the Saints. Harbaugh clearly respects him after having promoted him to Assistant HC. It only makes sense that he would make Spags his DC to appease their relationship and keep his bro happy. Plus Spags has experience running the 43 defense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 2271
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big guy who was projected as a possible 1st round pick. I don't hate this, but it doesn't really excite me much.

Seems like a pick that takes Ngata's future into account, because it's definitely not an immediate need.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 7030
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't just view Haloti Ngata as a liability. One of the most viable ways for us to get back to being a top defense is for him to have better luck with his health. It's not like he's had any serious issues or missed a ton of time either. Nor is he very old for a DT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 2271
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't just view Haloti Ngata as a liability. One of the most viable ways for us to get back to being a top defense is for him to have better luck with his health. It's not like he's had any serious issues or missed a ton of time either. Nor is he very old for a DT.


I don't think he's a liability. But he is a 30 year old DT with a history of niggly injuries who is getting paid a lot of money. So however you slice it, I don't think he's going to be in Baltimore for longer than another year, two at most.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9098
Location: MD
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't just view Haloti Ngata as a liability. One of the most viable ways for us to get back to being a top defense is for him to have better luck with his health. It's not like he's had any serious issues or missed a ton of time either. Nor is he very old for a DT.


I don't think he's a liability. But he is a 30 year old DT with a history of niggly injuries who is getting paid a lot of money. So however you slice it, I don't think he's going to be in Baltimore for longer than another year, two at most.


I don't know about that. Reports are that the team has discussed a lt extension with him. May not be an immediate need but we lost art jones and canty is no spring chicken. KLM is a complete unknown to is at this point. So I like the move.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 25384
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the majority here. We need to switch to a 4-3 to allow Ngata/Canty/Williams/Jernigan to play in space and dominate instead of just simply eating up blockers. If we stay in the 3-4, let Williams eat up blockers while Ngata and Canty and Jernigan rush the passer.

But from a LB standpoint, we HAVE to find a way to get all of our guys on the field. Simply have to. There's too much talent just to sit them on the bench or play them on special teams.
_________________


Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 7030
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I was way off on the kind of player he is. I initially thought of him as a huge space eater and a guy that would engage and push back blockers and create lanes for our LBs to break up plays. Basically what Ngata does and what I see BW doing.

He's not that at all. He's not that big and his best trait seems to be how he sheds blockers, not drive them back. He'a going to make plays/tackles for himself, not free up others to do so. He's definitely a 4-3 DT.

I don't buy that we're going full time 3-4 though. As obviously as he is a 4-3 player, Brent Urban is definitely a 3-4 guy. It's going to be a split.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group