Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OLB Khalil Mack - 1rst Round pick.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:
bitty wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:
Mike Mayock before the draft said he would take Mack #1 overall:

Quote:
Hes one of the best two or three players in this draft, Mayock said. Im going to tell you right now, Id take him with the first pick.

Khalil Mack can play anywhere in the front, Mayock said. If you put the tape on against Ohio State, he dominates Ohio State like nobody Ive ever seen dominate them. Hes explosive off the edge, hes tough, hes twitchy, hes got a little edge about him. When I watch him on tape I feel like hes pissed off at the world, and I like that. Then you put on a tape, I think it was Kent State, and he drops into coverage like a safety, reads the quarterbacks eyes, undercuts a route, one-handed interception.

You talk about a guy like Clowney, whos just got superhuman abilities, versus this kid, if I had a choice between the two, I think Im going Mack, Mayock said.

He said it back at the combine in Feb or March

Does it matter it was before the draft?

Anyways I love the "When I watch him on tape I feel like hes pissed off at the world" part though. Twisted Evil

I was just pointing out that Mayock has been high on him for quite a while now. Several other analysts have said they would have taken him #1 overall.

Then they're not smart.
The right guy went #1.

That remains to be seen. Do I have to remind people that Clowney never played down of OLB in college yet people still think he's a better OLB then Mack, how is that even possible.
By the way the most important trait of a OLB is not athletic ability but to be able to diagnosing a play quickly.

no, it really doesn't remain to be seen.

it's very possible that the guy picked at #6 or the guy picked at #157 might have a better career than the guy at #1 but there's so many factors involved in what makes a great career (team, scheme, coaches, team mates, etc.).

i hope our guy ends up super elite and better than everyone else in the class, but had i been drafting #1 i wouldn't have taken him. the guy with the best chance to be a the best player went #1 in this years draft.

Imvho, the Texans took Clowney for one reason and one reason only . . . . . . . . They were afraid NOT to. Watt + Mack all day long. No way I would draft Clowney and give him ANY other assignment other than to get after the QB from that 4 pt stance he is used to (even if it's only for a look). Ultimately I don't think Clowney is going to be happy there and playing out of position gives him yet another (valid) out.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
bitty wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:

Quote:
Hes one of the best two or three players in this draft, Mayock said. Im going to tell you right now, Id take him with the first pick.

Khalil Mack can play anywhere in the front, Mayock said. If you put the tape on against Ohio State, he dominates Ohio State like nobody Ive ever seen dominate them. Hes explosive off the edge, hes tough, hes twitchy, hes got a little edge about him. When I watch him on tape I feel like hes pissed off at the world, and I like that. Then you put on a tape, I think it was Kent State, and he drops into coverage like a safety, reads the quarterbacks eyes, undercuts a route, one-handed interception.

You talk about a guy like Clowney, whos just got superhuman abilities, versus this kid, if I had a choice between the two, I think Im going Mack, Mayock said.

Anyways I love the "When I watch him on tape I feel like hes pissed off at the world" part though. Twisted Evil

I was just pointing out that Mayock has been high on him for quite a while now. Several other analysts have said they would have taken him #1 overall.

Then they're not smart.
The right guy went #1.

That remains to be seen. Do I have to remind people that Clowney never played down of OLB in college yet people still think he's a better OLB then Mack, how is that even possible.
By the way the most important trait of a OLB is not athletic ability but to be able to diagnosing a play quickly.

it's very possible that the guy picked at #6 or the guy picked at #157 might have a better career than the guy at #1 but there's so many factors involved in what makes a great career (team, scheme, coaches, team mates, etc.).

i hope our guy ends up super elite and better than everyone else in the class, but had i been drafting #1 i wouldn't have taken him. the guy with the best chance to be a the best player went #1 in this years draft.

Imvho, the Texans took Clowney for one reason and one reason only . . . . . . . . They were afraid NOT to. Watt + Mack all day long. No way I would draft Clowney and give him ANY other assignment other than to get after the QB from that 4 pt stance he is used to (even if it's only for a look). Ultimately I don't think Clowney is going to be happy there and playing out of position gives him yet another (valid) out.

I think your right, at least in the sense of the Texans taking Clowney because they worried about the backlash if they took someone else and didn't want to regret passing on such a freak. Mack was number one on my big board and while it may have been risky I would have taken Khalil and paired him with Watt. Better scheme fit. Better all around player. I did love Clowney as well, but Mack was just the better overall football player imvho and is less dependent on being able to be motivated.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
bitty wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:

Quote:

Then they're not smart.
The right guy went #1.

I think your right, at least in the sense of the Texans taking Clowney because they worried about the backlash if they took someone else and didn't want to regret passing on such a freak. Mack was number one on my big board and while it may have been risky I would have taken Khalil and paired him with Watt. Better scheme fit. Better all around player. I did love Clowney as well, but Mack was just the better overall football player imvho and is less dependent on being able to be motivated.

They should have traded down and picked up mack. Picks and get their guy.
CrapTakula

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
bitty wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:

Quote:

Then they're not smart.
The right guy went #1.

The only reason they'd be afraid not to pick him would be fear of not taking the best prospect (or fear of the best prospect going to a division rival)

If they didn't have him at #1 on their board they're dumb. But they could have traded down and gotten any other player they wanted. If they didn't have him at #1 on their board and picked him anyway that's beyond dumb.

There may be better fits for their scheme but there was no better prospect in the draft and it wasn't even close.

Bolansho Boro Begoz
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
bitty wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:

Quote:

Then they're not smart.
The right guy went #1.

The only reason they'd be afraid not to pick him would be fear of not taking the best prospect (or fear of the best prospect going to a division rival)

If they didn't have him at #1 on their board they're dumb. But they could have traded down and gotten any other player they wanted. If they didn't have him at #1 on their board and picked him anyway that's beyond dumb.

There may be better fits for their scheme but there was no better prospect in the draft and it wasn't even close.

Clowney is a freak but, it's not even close? Is Clowney Andrew Luck? A great player and a smart/hard worker? Clowney is very undisciplined, he's got no motor, and he really only rushes the QB very well. Yes, 6'7 266 is pretty awesome and a 4.48 is unheard.of at that size but he's not without some real shortcomings.

While I agree, he's the best prospect I strongly disagree that it "wasn't even close." The only real question of Mack was whether or not the MAC was really a test for Mack, on tape he's disciplined and very violent. He's got speed too and his combination of that and power equals quite the prospect. Khalil Mack.is a true gridiron warrior.

Add in that Mack plays every phase of the game. Has Clowney ever covered TE's regularly? Will his lack of motor, because you can't teach motor, make him.a less than desirable run defender? Even Sammy Watkins was a really great prospect.

I agree, Clowney was #1 off of potential. He's got a lot to overcome to meet that potential though, & I mean A LOT. More so than Mack or Watkins, who appear to have it all physically in addition to having the right mindsets.

Just my two cents

If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, Im uncoachable, Im unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:

Houston wanted to trade down and had the opportunity. However, they couldn't justify trading down absent an asinine trade to their fan base if Clowney went off for someone else? Ironically, McKenzie also mentioned they wanted to trade down and had offers but this year they stuck to their guns, they didn't get what they wanted so they made the pick, a pick that they loved anyways.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackPrestige92 wrote:

Clowney is a freak but, it's not even close? Is Clowney Andrew Luck? A great player and a smart/hard worker? Clowney is very undisciplined, he's got no motor, and he really only rushes the QB very well. Yes, 6'7 266 is pretty awesome and a 4.48 is unheard.of at that size but he's not without some real shortcomings.

While I agree, he's the best prospect I strongly disagree that it "wasn't even close." The only real question of Mack was whether or not the MAC was really a test for Mack, on tape he's disciplined and very violent. He's got speed too and his combination of that and power equals quite the prospect. Khalil Mack.is a true gridiron warrior.

Add in that Mack plays every phase of the game. Has Clowney ever covered TE's regularly? Will his lack of motor, because you can't teach motor, make him.a less than desirable run defender? Even Sammy Watkins was a really great prospect.

I agree, Clowney was #1 off of potential. He's got a lot to overcome to meet that potential though, & I mean A LOT. More so than Mack or Watkins, who appear to have it all physically in addition to having the right mindsets.

Just my two cents

Is Clowney Andrew Luck? Yes, he is the defensive equivalent of Luck. The highest rated defensive product I can remember since Super Mario. Does that make Clowney a sure thing? Absolutely not. Houston felt like they didn't want to be held responsible for passing on the the defensive version of Andrew Luck. Even if he isn't a perfect fit.

Regardless, the Raiders were the beneficiary so ultimately Clowney was a dream come true for the Raiders as well because had Houston traded down the Raiders probably wouldn't have gotten Clowney or Mack. Thank you, Houston.

Bonez wrote:
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:

Just my two cents

Is Clowney Andrew Luck? Yes, he is the defensive equivalent of Luck. The highest rated defensive product I can remember since Super Mario. Does that make Clowney a sure thing? Absolutely not. Houston felt like they didn't want to be held responsible for passing on the the defensive version of Andrew Luck. Even if he isn't a perfect fit.

Regardless, the Raiders were the beneficiary so ultimately Clowney was a dream come true for the Raiders as well because had Houston traded down the Raiders probably wouldn't have gotten Clowney or Mack. Thank you, Houston.

Agreed on Clowney being the "andrew luck" of defensive prospects. There is nothing he can't do well as a 4-3 defensive end. I would rate him more highly than mario williams based on his first step as well. An absolute freak. Anyone who questions his attitude clearly didn't watch his game tape at all. All defensive lineman get tired, but not many get doubled consistently and chipped on third down. Cmonn. Im so happy we got mack as a result. Between him and watkins, I think/hope we got a pro bowler for sure. Watkins Clowney Mack and Matthews are about as close to a sure thing as you can get.
Raider X

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Mack tears it up in the regular season, where teams will have to send multiple players at him to hold him off and scheming against him, then this will benefit the whole defense making it easier for them. Then I think all the trade down idiots will soon end up going away. Reggie chose Mack over trading down, which is the smart move, he knows how much impact one special player can do and make it easier for his teammates.
EricAllen21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 Hayden
2013 Mack
2014 Stud wideout
2015 ???
2016 ???
2016 Khalil Mckenzie!
Decade of dominance!!!
Chali21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricAllen21 wrote:
2012 Hayden
2013 Mack
2014 Stud wideout
2015 ???
2016 ???
2016 Khalil Mckenzie!
Decade of dominance!!!

Too soon to crown Mckenzie. And even if he is great we might not be picking high enough to get him in '16. Wink

On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Its like they're too incompetent to know they're incompetent.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricAllen21 wrote:
2012 Hayden
2013 Mack
2014 Stud wideout
2015 ???
2016 ???
2016 Khalil Mckenzie!
Decade of dominance!!!
You cant even get the years right. Lol.
S&B Bleeder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see we have a lot of Clowney/Mack comparison in this thread. When the season starts I would like to see a Clowney/Mack comparison thread. Different positions I know but some comparison could be made.
I don't know at this time whose on the better team or has better player support and that will be a factor.
Some prognosticators felt Mack should have been #1 and there are those who crapped on that. No offense meant. If not #1 maybe just a better all around player. Now is too early. So is camp and preseason though some will try as this is a forum.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
bitty wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:
daineraider wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:

Quote:

Then they're not smart.
The right guy went #1.

Ive been thinking hou will prolly use him like sf did aldon in his first year but that surprise factor wont be there like with aldon cause everyone knows clown

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Chali21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S&B Bleeder wrote:
I see we have a lot of Clowney/Mack comparison in this thread. When the season starts I would like to see a Clowney/Mack comparison thread. Different positions I know but some comparison could be made.
I don't know at this time whose on the better team or has better player support and that will be a factor.
Some prognosticators felt Mack should have been #1 and there are those who crapped on that. No offense meant. If not #1 maybe just a better all around player. Now is too early. So is camp and preseason though some will try as this is a forum.

I'd like to see this too. I mean they are playing the same position so it's not as bad as all that.

On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Its like they're too incompetent to know they're incompetent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: