Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Thread: Day 3, Rounds 4-7 (5/10, 12:00pm EST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Sacks98 wrote:
Michael was not a reach he just wasn't a need.
I thought it was clear by now that we draft players for a future need, not just immediate ones.

I hope that didn't come off as a critique because i am fine with Schneider drafting a player that he thinks is BPA even if he doesn't play year one then a need that he thinks will be average or bust.
Ah, my bad. I thought you were criticizing the pick. I think we're in agreement than that it's a good long term move

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Wee-Bey

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
How anyone can knock Michael right now is beyond me. Did you expect him to come in and be the 2nd best RB in the NFL his first year in the league? If the answer is no then you need to take a step back and wait

It's a very easy pick to knock for a few reasons:

1. RB talent is easy to find
2. We didn't need a RB, starter or backup
3. WR was a more immediate need, and there was starter talent available
4. You dont draft RB's to stash, particularly in light of the incoming class

I think its more appropriate to ask how anyone could defend the pick? Whether or not he develops into a good player is largely irrelevant. It's still a selection of poor value, and we left better players at positions of need on the board to select him.

Say one of Yeldon, Gurley, K. Marshall, J. Grey, or Duke Johnson falls to us in the 2nd or 3rd next year. Would it not have made more sense to select Keenan Allen in the 2nd round last season, and one of the aforementioned players in the upcoming draft with a stacked RB class, and when Lynch will actually need replaced?
SoS

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I would agree with you. It's pretty easy to find effective tailbacks in this league. However, John and Pete seem to think Michael can be an elite tailback, and it's hard to question that when you look at his skill set. I really think Michael can be a top 5 RB in this league and we were able to get him in the late 2nd due to injury issues.

2. We may not have needed RB, but we really needed some speed at the RB position as we only had Lynch and Turbin. And guess what? The 49ers didn't need Carlos Hyde this year and could have waited to take one of those great RB prospects next year, but well-run organizations don't rely on next years class when considering their evaluations and they take the player that fits what they want to do. SF runs a pure power offense, so Hyde makes a lot of sense. Seattle runs a power zone, so Michael makes a lot of sense. Both of these guys are going to be very good backs and ensure that both teams will have no hiccups when their #1 guy is gone. Lynch only has 1 or 2 more years here.

3. Starter talent available, sure, but this FO identified Michael as a potential elite talent at the RB position, so they pulled the trigger on an elite player over a good one. You mention Keenan Allen, which makes sense because it definitely improves your argument, but if you look at the other WRs taken in that range they're pretty mediocre (though I think Wheaton and Bailey will be good players).

4. Um...why? Like I said, the 49ers just did the same thing. Again, I really doubt front offices look ahead to next year's class when evaluating who they're going to take in the present. This time 2 years ago you would've told me a team should just wait and take the elite Marcus Lattimore in the top 15 instead of settling on a back in the 2nd/3rd. Oops.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful Wee-Bey - trust me I'm still embarrassed because I was one of the biggest anti-Wilson guys (not as bad as one other poster here but pretty bad).

I hated the pick for the same reason you didn't like the Michael pick.

1) Not a need: We had just given a pretty large contract to Flynn

2) Poor draft position: I argued that you can only find elite QBs in the top of Round 1, you argue that you can find elite RBs late.

3) Other needs on the team should have taken priority

If Michael ends up being an elite starter in a year or two, I can tell you that it's a bitter pill to swallow to admit you were wrong. We obviously didn't need Michael to be a big contributor to win the SuperBowl and if he can be a guy that leads us to another SuperBowl, then it was worth the 2nd Round pick.

Also I wanted to address something you said a couple pages ago - you said Earl Thomas was a great but not difficult pick to make. Most people thought Taylor Mays would be the pick there. It was not a consensus that Earl Thomas would be or should be the pick. Hindsight makes it look like a slam dunk but it reality it was just smart drafting. I know you're frustrated. I really liked guys like XSF, Amaro and Bitonio in this draft and I'm disappointed that I don't get to cheer for them in a Seahawks uni but I'm stoked about the team this year being the defending champs.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How in the world was WR a need? After trading for Harvin we were rolling into the season with:
Rice (presumably set to at worst duplicate his 800 yard, 7 TD season)
Tate
Percy
Baldwin
Kearse

There was only one spot open on the roster at best for WR and we drafted Harper in the 4th as a developmental guy.

ram29jackson wrote:
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Pinkins was asked to play CB in Seattle!

6'3 220lbs runs a 4.4 40, had a 40 inch vert, and did I mention he benched 225 x25??? Shocked Shocked

This guy bring a whole new meaning to the legion of BOOM! Crazy athlete.

Really want to see our DB coach work his magic. Wow.
imani

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjoe0075 wrote:

6'3 220lbs runs a 4.4 40, had a 40 inch vert, and did I mention he benched 225 x25??? Shocked Shocked

I believe they're going to try and re-create what browner was able to do for us down the line. Til then he'll be a STer and project athlete.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Bigjoe0075 wrote:

I believe they're going to try and re-create what browner was able to do for us down the line. Til then he'll be a STer and project athlete.

Agreed. I don't expect him to start this year but with a solid year under Kris Richardson maybe he could fill a starting role next to Sherm. Also gives us flexibility when we negotiate with Maxwell this year. Crazy athlete and perfect press corner. Probably the strongest CB in the entire league. I look forward to watching this kid develop.
At SDSU he was use as in the nickel a lot and was the slot CB. I think he is a natural fit at CB in our scheme. As long as he's willing to put in the work Seattle might have hit gold on this guy.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjoe0075 wrote:
imani wrote:
Bigjoe0075 wrote:

6'3 220lbs runs a 4.4 40, had a 40 inch vert, and did I mention he benched 225 x25??? :shock: :shock:

Agreed. I don't expect him to start this year but with a solid year under Kris Richardson maybe he could fill a starting role next to Sherm. Also gives us flexibility when we negotiate with Maxwell this year. Crazy athlete and perfect press corner. Probably the strongest CB in the entire league. I look forward to watching this kid develop.
At SDSU he was use as in the nickel a lot and was the slot CB. I think he is a natural fit at CB in our scheme. As long as he's willing to put in the work Seattle might have hit gold on this guy.

Agreed - if nothing else he should be a beast on special teams until he develops into a reliable guy on defense.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
Meeker

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjoe0075 wrote:
imani wrote:
Bigjoe0075 wrote:

Jeremy Lane is the next man up to start at corner.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Flynn was the next man up to replace Hasselbeck. RW proves anyone can be leap-frogged over in PC's "always compete" environment
SoS

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinkins will be a 1st year PS player IMO.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meeker wrote:
Bigjoe0075 wrote:
imani wrote:
Bigjoe0075 wrote:

Jeremy Lane is the next man up to start at corner.
I would question whether or not the vision is to actually have Lane ever be a starter at anything other than nickel

ram29jackson wrote:
imani

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Pinkins will be a 1st year PS player IMO.

Possibly in his second year as well.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
C-Hawkin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting somebody else will steal him off the PS if they try to stash him there a 2nd year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 27 of 28

Jump to: