Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2014 NFL Draft Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:

The off-season is more than just the draft. They find the best value in the draft long term and find the best plugs elsewhere.

Applause

The draft is not for filling needs. It's for building for the future. You shouldn't expect rookies to come in and start right away.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

We have good players, but we don't have players you build your team around like we had with Ray and Ed.

Jeez, Ozzie, you haven't drafted guys who are the GOAT at their positions since 2003. Wth are you doing? We can't build a team without them!

Way to miss my point Laughing

They don't have to be Hall of Famers, but you don't build your team around a Dawan Landry or Bart Scott. You build your team around your elite players. Nobody ever started a thread saying "Build your dream team around Alex Smith..." because you don't build teams around average to above-average players.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

We have good players, but we don't have players you build your team around like we had with Ray and Ed.

Jeez, Ozzie, you haven't drafted guys who are the GOAT at their positions since 2003. Wth are you doing? We can't build a team without them!

They don't have to be Hall of Famers, but you don't build your team around a Dawan Landry or Bart Scott. You build your team around your elite players. Nobody ever started a thread saying "Build your dream team around Alex Smith..." because you don't build teams around average to above-average players.

So good thing we let those guys go in FA, eh? Kind of similar to how we let Kruger and Ellerbe walk (despite you specifically wanting to keep both last year)?

We've built our team around Yanda, Webb, Flacco, Torrey, Rice, Suggs, and Ngata. Some are older and will be phased out as we continue to build the team around guys like Jimmy, Elam, Mosley, Monroe, Brown, BP, etc.

Once again, your arguments are literally filled with holes in your logic. It's baffling.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

So good thing we let those guys go in FA, eh? Kind of similar to how we let Kruger and Ellerbe walk (despite you specifically wanting to keep both last year)?

We've built our team around Yanda, Webb, Flacco, Torrey, Rice, Suggs, and Ngata. Some are older and will be phased out as we continue to build the team around guys like Jimmy, Elam, Mosley, Monroe, Brown, BP, etc.

Once again, your arguments are literally filled with holes in your logic. It's baffling.

I'm pretty sure I wanted to try for one or the other, but knew they would eventually be gone, especially Ellerbe.

Well you're just reinforcing my point if you're building a team around the guys you listed.

gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

So Lewis and Reed were complimentary players to Landry and Scott?

Interesting theory.

I thought we were building the team around a QB capable of elite, if inconsistent, performance, what with the draft picks and extensions for the OL and the acquisitions and extensions at WR and TE, all while building a defense that is deep, young, and talented through the draft.

Rome wasn't built in a day. There's still a lot of offseason left.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I'm pretty sure I wanted to try for one or the other, but knew they would eventually be gone, especially Ellerbe.

You specifically called out Ozzie for letting Kruger walk and said you wanted to keep Ellerbe badly. But I digress. (Of course both were before signing Doom/Daryl Smith, but that just furthers my point of overreactions.)

Quote:
Well you're just reinforcing my point if you're building a team around the guys you listed.

This is where the logic fails, once again.

It's honestly not worth the effort to try to get this to make sense. We just don't see eye to eye on anything Ravens related.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

So Lewis and Reed were complimentary players to Landry and Scott?

Interesting theory.

I thought we were building the team around a QB capable of elite, if inconsistent, performance, what with the draft picks and extensions for the OL and the acquisitions and extensions at WR and TE, all while building a defense that is deep, young, and talented through the draft.

Rome wasn't built in a day. There's still a lot of offseason left.

Other way around Wink

gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody else see this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/10/coin-flip-may-have-kept-cowboys-from-taking-manziel/

Quote:
On Thursday night, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that his team was trying to swing a trade with the Ravens at No. 17 for Martin.

“We were talking with Baltimore,” Fisher told reporters. “It would’ve been pricey but worth it. It was a good pick for the Cowboys.”

Sounds like losing that coin flip cost us what could have been a pretty significant haul, especially since DeCosta said Mosley was rated a top 10 player on the board.

I can't imagine them trading away a chance at a player they rated so highly without really killing that trade.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really happy with our draft. A lot of good values and a lot of guys who I think will be contributors.

Mosley was a top 15 player in my eyes, and I think he's gonna develop into a good player and leader for us.

Jernigan was a late first round guy to me, great value and I think he shows alot of the traits that Arthur Jones did for us.

I had Terrence Brooks as a late 2nd and I love how his skillset fits with Elam. I think he'll start right away and be a good player.

Gilmore was a very 'meh' pick for me. I like the fact that he should be a capable blocker. But at 99 I'm looking for a bit more from a TE pick, and I'm not sure if he's brings that much more. However, I won't act like I saw a bunch of Colorado State, so I'll reserve my judgement somewhat. They've obviously got a plan in mind for him if he was a top 100 player. Really the only pick I have some question about. For what he excels at he seems like a prospect that would have been nice in about the 5th or so round.

Didn't know to much about Urban but he seems to have a huge ceiling and I read somewhere that we considered him in the 2nd. Whether that's true or not Im not sure but I like the 6'7 frame.

Taliaffaro is much like Urban, I don't know a whole lot, but we do a nice job of scouting and drafting RB regardless of the round, so I'll trust that he can be a nice contributor for is. He seems like a tough no-nonsense runner though and I like that.

Love what I've read about Urschel and I think at the very least we've got a nice depth guy with versatility. Nice developmental pick.

I like Wenning a lot, should be a very interesting battle between him and Tyrod to back up Joe.

Campanaro is my favorite pick of the draft, along with Brooks. Love his production, athleticism, and slot skills. Love the local flair too. I really think he's gonna develop into a contributor in a year or two. Trading next years 6th to get back into the draft and nab him is a great sign as well.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Wenning, there shouldn't be a battle for him to backup Joe. If he shows anything, he should automatically be the #3 guy this year on the roster and next year be the backup considering Tyrod shouldn't be on this team. Our scheme simply doesn't fit him at all. Wenning is a good developmental QB.

wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/10/coin-flip-may-have-kept-cowboys-from-taking-manziel/

Quote:
On Thursday night, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that his team was trying to swing a trade with the Ravens at No. 17 for Martin.

“We were talking with Baltimore,” Fisher told reporters. “It would’ve been pricey but worth it. It was a good pick for the Cowboys.”

Sounds like losing that coin flip cost us what could have been a pretty significant haul, especially since DeCosta said Mosley was rated a top 10 player on the board.

I can't imagine them trading away a chance at a player they rated so highly without really killing that trade.

Interesting. You can't really say from his comments whether Baltimore was really going for what they planned to offer. The Rams' next pick was 44th pick, and I don't think they had enough value left in all their remaining picks to make it worth that kind of drop. So, it would have had to include future picks, and I'm not projecting the Rams to be picking high next year. Especially if they came away with a haul of Robinson, Donald and Martin in one round.

I'm not really disappointed this didn't happen since it would have taken us out of the running for a blue chip prospect (which the FO views Mosley as) which is what you want from a non-playoff season. Also doesn't help the case in my mind since Jordan Matthews went higher than 44.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:

Quote:

Interesting. You can't really say from his comments whether Baltimore was really going for what they planned to offer. The Rams' next pick was 44th pick, and I don't think they had enough value left in all their remaining picks to make it worth that kind of drop. So, it would have had to include future picks, and I'm not projecting the Rams to be picking high next year.
Especially if they came away with a haul of Robinson, Donald and Martin in one round.

I'm not really disappointed this didn't happen since it would have taken us out of the running for a blue chip prospect (which the FO views Mosley as) which is what you want from a non-playoff season. Also doesn't help the case in my mind since Jordan Matthews went higher than 44.

A future pick tends to have the value of a pick a round later. So theoretically a future first would have been valued at about 400 pts and along with the 44th pick, that should be 860 pts.

So I'd also speculate that the deal might've also included a 3rd round pick. In that case... I would've definitely done it. Though it may have only been their 4th round pick... in which case, I'm not as sure.

20 (2014), 44, 75/110

It might not pay instant dividends but potentially having another top 20 pick next year, two 1st round picks... that could be huge depending on how talented next year's class might be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

Jump to: