You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Steve Smith?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Better at their peak?
Andre Johnson
31%
 31%  [ 21 ]
Steve Smith
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
Larry Fitzgerald
56%
 56%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 66

reckless123

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Steve Smith? Reply with quote

I dont do topics much, but this comparison had me thinking and I think will be an interesting debate.

Who was better at their peak (or prime), Andre Johnson, Steve Smith or Larry Fitzgerald?

Rank them.

Be Humble. Sit Down.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre is just a freak of nature. Even last year he had 1400 yards with awful qb play. He doesn't get a ton of tds but the texans run a ton so i don't see what he could do differently.
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre for me because he is basically S.Smith and Fitz combined. Andre has all the traits, Size, Speed, Physical, Route Running, Catching, YAC, Awarness. Fitz and S.Smith were and are both great but Fitz does not have the speed/quickness Andre has and S.Smith just does not have the size. All 3 are fantastic and HOFer WR's one day but I'll take Andre in his prime over most WR's and that's all time.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
SatireSphere

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I don't know if any of the three are HOF worthy at this point in time. All have had impressive careers relative to the talent around them, but their teams never really had much success and that will hurt their chances.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatireSphere wrote:
Honestly I don't know if any of the three are HOF worthy at this point in time. All have had impressive careers relative to the talent around them, but their teams never really had much success and that will hurt their chances.

It shouldnt be about that. Why should they be punished for the organisations they have been in? Just because their teams havent been very successful it doesnt denigrate their accomplishments or level of play. All 3 are HOF Worthy. Thats just the wrong way to look at their HOF credentials.

Be Humble. Sit Down.
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
SatireSphere wrote:

It shouldnt be about that. Why should they be punished for the organisations they have been in? Just because their teams havent been very successful it doesnt denigrate their accomplishments or level of play. All 3 are HOF Worthy. Thats just the wrong way to look at their HOF credentials.

I agree 100%. It's not Andre's fault he was never on a team capable of going all the way. Winning is about teams not individual players and I don't think there is much stock into that. Going to the HOF is based on how good of a player you are not how good of a team you were on. This is why I don't believe in ring theory for QB's.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Zithers

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we're talking prime.... its very easily steve smith

won the triple crown (joining jerry rice and sterling sharpe) on a team that ran more than they threw. i think the last time someone did that was in the mid 80s with art monk. receiver with second most catches was old ricky proehl with 25 (deshaun foster had 34). had 3.48 yards per team pass attempt. in 2008 he had 3.43 and that's including the two games he missed for caving ken lucas' face in!!!! for perspective, AJ put up 2.84 in 2008 when he led the NFL in yards. he's doing all of this at 5'9. unbelievable. not human.

then in the 05 playoffs he had a rushing, receiving, and kick return TD. and put up 220 yards on the #1 chicago defense. really should have won MVP that season over shaun alexander. or maybe they could have given it to walter jones/steve hutchinson.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatireSphere wrote:

except that Fitzgerald set an NFL postseason record and made it to the Super Bowl and, were it not for Big Ben's heroics in the closing 2 minutes, Fitzgerald would have a Super Bowl MVP award and be a first ballot HoF lock

as it stands, I'd put him 1st ballot without question. I think his peak might be just above Andre Johnson's, but not by much.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
if we're talking prime.... its very easily steve smith

*laughs*

no, there's nothing "easy" about it, good lord. the argument is certainly viable, but that whole "easily/and it's not even close" meme that gets tossed around is, 99% of the time, simply ridiculous, because it is close.

I think it's reasonable to say Steve Smith's regular season 2005 was the best regular season of any of the 3, but Fitz's 2008 postseason was otherworldly and in fact, Fitzgerald's postseason production overall is arguably some of the most impressive postseason work of anybody.
Zithers

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
*laughs*

no, there's nothing "easy" about it, good lord. the argument is certainly viable, but that whole "easily/and it's not even close" meme that gets tossed around is, 99% of the time, simply ridiculous, because it is close.

I think it's reasonable to say Steve Smith's regular season 2005 was the best regular season of any of the 3, but Fitz's 2008 postseason was otherworldly and in fact, Fitzgerald's postseason production overall is arguably some of the most impressive postseason work of anybody.

postseason/prime fitz had anquan boldin and a HOF QB throwing to him in an offense where they almost passed twice as much as they ran

postseason/prime smitty had pedestrian jake delhomme and guys like keary colbert, drew carter, and ricky proehl opposite him. and the team ran more than they threw. and he has two postseasons in the top ten in yardage (only player who can say that). used to be two in the top seven before fitz, nicks, boldin in recent years. 10 TDs in 9 games.

so i still dont see how its close.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre tends to get underrated these days in my opinion. He just keeps on producing, no matter the situation.

Edit: Guess I should have read the OP..

My vote stays with Johnson though.

Last edited by NoFlyZone on Sat May 31, 2014 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
*laughs*

postseason/prime fitz had anquan boldin and a HOF QB throwing to him in an offense where they almost passed twice as much as they ran.

postseason/prime smitty had pedestrian jake delhomme and guys like keary colbert, drew carter, and ricky proehl opposite him.

great, and in 2011 when Fitz nailed 1400/8, he had John Skelton and Kevin Kolb throwing to him, and guys like Andre Roberts, Early Doucet, and Jeff King opposite him. In fact, he had more receiving yardage than all other WRs on the team combined, and as 'pedestrian' as Jake Delhomme was, do you REALLY want to compare him to Skelton or Kolb?

Zithers wrote:
so i still dont see how its close.

it's close. only a homer would think otherwise.
Zithers

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:

great, and in 2011 when Fitz nailed 1400/8, he had John Skelton and Kevin Kolb throwing to him, and guys like Andre Roberts, Early Doucet, and Jeff King opposite him. In fact, he had more receiving yardage than all other WRs on the team combined, and as 'pedestrian' as Jake Delhomme was, do you REALLY want to compare him to Skelton or Kolb?

it's close. only a homer would think otherwise.

and they still threw the ball 167 times more than they ran it that season. foxball never got close to that. besides, roberts (586) and doucet (689) had more yards than anyone the panthers employed opposite of smitty from 2005-2010 except for 06 keyshawn (815) and 08 moose (923)....

then smitty went through the QB gauntlet between 2007-2010 with vinny testaverde's corpse, david carr, post tommy john jake delhomme, matt moore, jimmy pickles, brian st pierre, and tony pike. not to mention a few games towards the end of 2006 with chris weinke, who was so bad that john fox decided to run the wildcat 50 times in a game since he thought it'd be more efficient than letting weinke attempt to throw the ball. and then we finally were blessed with our lord and savior, cam newton, who breathed new life into smitty's career.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn this one is really tough, I am taking Andre Johnson but I might be a little biased bc he killed us seemingly every time he played us.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Smith(his return ability and blocking is what puts him over the top)
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson

I still think Larry has another 3-5 more years as an top level WR so i expect him to pass Smith.
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: