Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawks sign CB Richard Sherman to 4-year, $57.4M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of money but he's too important for us not to pay him. I love that he still knows how many CBs were taken before him in the draft (23). I was hoping for something a little less expensive but if we can keep RW, ET and Sherman with the front office adding talent every year we should be fine.

Just some food for thought - here's the list of "23" guys (in order of draft selection) who were taken before Sherman. (Note: 24 guys on the list who were all drafted as CBs, Sherman is probably is counting one as a safety. There were an additional 9 players drafted at safety in 2011 before Sherman.)

1) Patrick Peterson ARI
2) Prince Amukamara NYG
3) Jimmy Smith BAL (Who I wanted us to take instead of Carpenter...)
4) Ras-I Dowling NE
5) Aaron Williams BUF
6) Marcus Gilchrist SD
7) Brandon Harris HOU
8) Chris Culliver SF
9) DeMarcus Van Dyke OAK
10) Johnny Patrick NO
11) Shareece Wright NE
12) Curtis Marsh PHI
13) Curtis Brown PIT
14) Brandon Hogan CAR
15) Da'Norris Searcy BUF
16) Chimdi Chekwa OAK
17) Jalil Brown KC
18) Rashad Carmichael HOU
19) Cortez Allen PIT
20) Davon House GB
21) Buster Skrine CLE
22) Brandon Burton MIN
23) Josh Thomas DAL
24) Rod Isaac JAX

Just goes to show how important it is to be successful in the draft. You could argue that the difference between selecting Sherman instead of Chykie Brown (next CB taken) is the difference between having a SuperBowl ring or not. Hope we get it right tomorrow...
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
green24

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
That's a lot of money but he's too important for us not to pay him. I love that he still knows how many CBs were taken before him in the draft (23). I was hoping for something a little less expensive but if we can keep RW, ET and Sherman with the front office adding talent every year we should be fine.

Just some food for thought - here's the list of "23" guys (in order of draft selection) who were taken before Sherman. (Note: 24 guys on the list who were all drafted as CBs, Sherman is probably is counting one as a safety. There were an additional 9 players drafted at safety in 2011 before Sherman.)

1) Patrick Peterson ARI
2) Prince Amukamara NYG
4) Ras-I Dowling NE
5) Aaron Williams BUF
6) Marcus Gilchrist SD
7) Brandon Harris HOU
Cool Chris Culliver SF
9) DeMarcus Van Dyke OAK
10) Johnny Patrick NO
11) Shareece Wright NE
12) Curtis Marsh PHI
13) Curtis Brown PIT
14) Brandon Hogan CAR
15) Da'Norris Searcy BUF
16) Chimdi Chekwa OAK
17) Jalil Brown KC
1Cool Rashad Carmichael HOU
19) Cortez Allen PIT
20) Davon House GB
21) Buster Skrine CLE
22) Brandon Burton MIN
23) Josh Thomas DAL
24) Rod Isaac JAX

Just goes to show how important it is to be successful in the draft. You could argue that the difference between selecting Sherman instead of Chykie Brown (next CB taken) is the difference between having a SuperBowl ring or not. Hope we get it right tomorrow...

Aaron Williams is a safety.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

1) Patrick Peterson ARI
2) Prince Amukamara NYG
4) Ras-I Dowling NE
5) Aaron Williams BUF
6) Marcus Gilchrist SD
7) Brandon Harris HOU
8) Chris Culliver SF
9) DeMarcus Van Dyke OAK
10) Johnny Patrick NO
11) Shareece Wright NE
12) Curtis Marsh PHI
13) Curtis Brown PIT
14) Brandon Hogan CAR
15) Da'Norris Searcy BUF
16) Chimdi Chekwa OAK
17) Jalil Brown KC
18) Rashad Carmichael HOU
19) Cortez Allen PIT
20) Davon House GB
21) Buster Skrine CLE
22) Brandon Burton MIN
23) Josh Thomas DAL
24) Rod Isaac JAX

Aaron Williams is a safety.

Drafted as a CB though... I figured he was either talking about Williams or Da'Norris Searcy who has played a lot of safety. Not sure which one he wasn't counting among the 23.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
SoS

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess Searcy to be the one not accounted for. He was a safety in college and drafted to play as much.
imani

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really the best news we can hope this offseason. Almost all of our core talent is locked up now, for a good amount of time.

There's Wilson and Wagner left over and then we're set.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“[Y]ou put [Sherman] in our system, I don’t believe he would last,” Peterson told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. “Obviously, his job is much easier than mine.”

How so?

“If you look at their scheme and you look at our scheme, he’s a Cover-3 corner, period,” Peterson said. “A lot of guys say he’s a shutdown corner, but if you look at film and guys who understand the game, go back and look at film and see how his defense is.

“I believe if you put him in our system, I don’t think he’d be able to last, honestly, because I’m asked to do much more than he is.”

But Sherman responds with this:

Quote:
Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25 4m
@PFF_Pete this kid gave up as many Tds this year as I have in my career. He wouldn't last in our system bcuz he gives up too many Tds

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
“[Y]ou put [Sherman] in our system, I don’t believe he would last,” Peterson told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. “Obviously, his job is much easier than mine.”

How so?

“If you look at their scheme and you look at our scheme, he’s a Cover-3 corner, period,” Peterson said. “A lot of guys say he’s a shutdown corner, but if you look at film and guys who understand the game, go back and look at film and see how his defense is.

“I believe if you put him in our system, I don’t think he’d be able to last, honestly, because I’m asked to do much more than he is.”

Quote:
@PFF_Pete this kid gave up as many Tds this year as I have in my career. He wouldn't last in our system bcuz he gives up too many Tds

Laughing

Lmao he had it coming Sherman will be painted as the bad guy as usual though.
SoS

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:

How so?

Quote:

Laughing

That's actually hilarious.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson to Sherman on twitter:

https://twitter.com/RealPeterson21/status/469711131955576834/photo/1
Tom Brady Tribute
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between trash talking and what Peterson is doing Laughing

Is Peterson making the claim that he's a better athlete than Sherman? Well... duh. Which should be all the more embarrassing for Peterson that Sherman is a better CB

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:

Is Peterson making the claim that he's a better athlete than Sherman? Well... duh. Which should be all the more embarrassing for Peterson that Sherman is a better CB

I think he's trying to make a claim that Sherman wouldn't be performing as well as he currently is, if he was asked to do that same sorts of things that Peterson is.

It is an interesting theory, but one that is never really going to be tested because of the way each team uses their talent.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

I think he's trying to make a claim that Sherman wouldn't be performing as well as he currently is, if he was asked to do that same sorts of things that Peterson is.

It is an interesting theory, but one that is never really going to be tested because of the way each team uses their talent.

Both teams ask their star CBs to play football. It doesn't matter how they are used. the simple fact is Sherman has backed up his claim of being the best CB in football by showing up and changing the way the game is played. Peterson is a solid CB but he claims to be better than Sherman? Sherman was the least targeted CB in the NFL last year and still led the league in INTs.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjoe0075 wrote:
Both teams ask their star CBs to play football. It doesn't matter how they are used. the simple fact is Sherman has backed up his claim of being the best CB in football by showing up and changing the way the game is played. Peterson is a solid CB but he claims to be better than Sherman? Sherman was the least targeted CB in the NFL last year and still led the league in INTs.

Which is a very fair argument, but the way Seattle uses Sherman, on one side of the field, it makes it easier for teams to throw away from him (and design plays to throw away from him) hence the low target numbers. Seattle also has Sherman playing such a high percentage of cover three that it allows him to make plays on the football that other teams don't allow their #1 CB to make because of how they utilize them.

A CB playing one side of the field vs a guy trailing the #1 receiver and the target differentials that you will see as a result is akin to a team that emphasizes a running back or a tight end in the passing game. Just because a player is thrown at more or has more receptions does not mean he is a superior (Or inferior) player, it just means that the teams use them differently.

A CB with high INT numbers is one that is more likely to have played a high percentage of zone coverage allowing the CB to play the QB rather than a specific receiver. Similar to the way a QB that plays in a short passing, ball control offense is likely to have a higher completion percentage than a QB who is regularly attacking vertically and in the deep intermediate game.

This is less a commentary on the qualities of a player and more about the use of a player.

If one surmises that to be a "shutdown CB" one needs to be trailing the oppositions top target a large majority of the time and playing a large proportion of man coverage then one cannot call Richard Sherman a shutdown CB based on those criteria.

Whether or not player X is elite or not, or whether player Y is a "shutdown" guy or a "franchise" guy depends entirely on what your definition of "elite", "shutdown" and "franchise" are.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... Sherman is still better than Peterson. Whether or not you want to call him shutdown is entirely up to you and justifiable either way

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
SoS

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call Sherman a "shutdown" corner, but I would call him the best ball hawking CB in the league.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: