Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawks sign CB Richard Sherman to 4-year, $57.4M extension
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Seahawks sign CB Richard Sherman to 4-year, $57.4M extension Reply with quote

Quote:
Seahawks are finishing up a new deal w Richard Sherman today that makes him the league's highest paid CB.

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/464091632149618688

Quote:
It's a new 4 year extension agreed upon with Richard Sherman making him top paid CB in league

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/464093768010829824

Quote:
The #Seahawks have announced a press conference for within the hour. The belief is itís for a Richard Sherman extension.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/464090761198194688

***Update***
Quote:
The deal Richard Sherman and the #Seahawks are finalizing is for 4 years, source says. Heíll make more than Revisí $12M for 2014

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/464095966027464705

***Update***
Quote:
The terms of my deal are 4 years for a total of $57.4M with $40M guaranteed. There is no other city or team that I would want to play football for.

http://www.richardsherman25.com/blogs/blog/14005157-contract-extended
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Wed May 07, 2014 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoS

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Pretty surprised we were willing to give him that much guaranteed money. Wow.

Elite player and I'm thrilled to have the privilege of watching he, Earl, and Kam in the same secondary for 5 more years.

Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 million guaranteed? Shocked

Wow! I absolutely love Sherman and earl and the LOB but we are spending about 25% of our cap in the secondary. I really hope JS can manage to light it up in the draft tomorrow to replenish our roster because Free Agency won't be an option anymore.
SoS

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjoe0075 wrote:

Wow! I absolutely love Sherman and earl and the LOB but we are spending about 25% of our cap in the secondary. I really hope JS can manage to light it up in the draft tomorrow to replenish our roster because Free Agency won't be an option anymore.

The new NFL TV deal is going to increase the cap quite a bit in the coming years.
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Bigjoe0075 wrote:

The new NFL TV deal is going to increase the cap quite a bit in the coming years.

Fair enough. So do you think this is us setting the bar relatively low? So when the cap does grow and CBs make 15M+ for mediocre talent we eventually get a screaming deal on Sherman?
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I thought it was going to be 13-13.5M. I still like that its an extension and therefore we still have him for 5 more years. We're guaranteeing a ton of money. I wonder how much of that is guaranteed in an injury-only situation

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Meeker

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Frankly, I thought it was going to be 13-13.5M. I still like that its an extension and therefore we still have him for 5 more years. We're guaranteeing a ton of money. I wonder how much of that is guaranteed in an injury-only situation

I thought it was a lot at first, but I think its more fair to look at it as a 5-year 57.4m deal (+whatever little money is on the last year of his rookie deal)...this is adding on to the last year of his rookie deal, correct?

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meeker wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

I thought it was a lot at first, but I think its more fair to look at it as a 5-year 57.4m deal...this is adding on to the last year of his rookie deal, correct?
He's scheduled to make $1,476,606 this year.

Wait, you're completely right. At least according to this link.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2014/05/07/richard-sherman-contract/8808721/

Here it says it 56M extension on top of his 1.47M current contract. That's roughly 57.4M, which is what Sherman tweeted out. However, he phrased it weirdly. He said a 4 year, 57.4M extension. Really, it's a 4 year extension (5 years total) for a total of 57.4M

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Finchy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the negotiation

Schneider:I'm going to say some contract numbers, tell me when to stop. $40m, $45m, $50m...

Sherman:

Schneider:How about $57m?

Sherman:
Sandman55

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meeker wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

I thought it was a lot at first, but I think its more fair to look at it as a 5-year 57.4m deal (+whatever little money is on the last year of his rookie deal)...this is adding on to the last year of his rookie deal, correct?

Nah, the comparison would be before the contract vs after the contract.

The net difference was 4 additional years of contract length, and 56'ish million in additional compensation. I think folks are going to try to sell it as a 5 year since it'll seem more palatable, but compared to the previous commitment that already existed, an additional commitment equivalent to roughly $14M per year was added.
Meeker

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandman55 wrote:
Meeker wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

Nah, the comparison would be before the contract vs after the contract.

The net difference was 4 additional years of contract length, and 56'ish million in additional compensation. I think folks are going to try to sell it as a 5 year since it'll seem more palatable, but compared to the previous commitment that already existed, an additional commitment equivalent to roughly $14M per year was added.

Thats the comparison you wish to make. Would it make you feel better had they ripped up his rookie contract and signed a 5-year deal? Don't get why, but apparently it would.

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Meeker wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

I thought it was a lot at first, but I think its more fair to look at it as a 5-year 57.4m deal...this is adding on to the last year of his rookie deal, correct?
He's scheduled to make $1,476,606 this year.

Wait, you're completely right. At least according to this link.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2014/05/07/richard-sherman-contract/8808721/

Here it says it 56M extension on top of his 1.47M current contract. That's roughly 57.4M, which is what Sherman tweeted out. However, he phrased it weirdly. He said a 4 year, 57.4M extension. Really, it's a 4 year extension (5 years total) for a total of 57.4M

As you can see from my edit, it was a mistake that actually proved correct Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this guy. He is that one player you hate that you like him... Great another 5 years of him and Crabtree barking at each other. Next chunk of cap goes to Wilson 20mil a season is in order.. I like it crush that Cap Space.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any of this contract impact next year? If not, then it's really a 4 year $57.5M signing that basically happens next year.

That said, the cap will go up another $10M next year and his price would've prob. been even higher so this helps to get it done earlier and lock it in.

I don't think the Hawks org wants Sherman going anywhere. His playstyle and attitude sparks fire for UFA, FA, etc. and he's a great mentor and coach to his teammates on the field.

I also feel he's 'in the heads' of WAY more people than you think.
Finchy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel

Richard Sherman's '14 cap number is $3.631M. It's $12.2M in 15. His '16, '17 & '18 cap numbers are $14.769M, $13.631M & $13.2M.
SoS

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finchy wrote:
Quote:
Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel

Richard Sherman's '14 cap number is $3.631M. It's $12.2M in 15. His '16, '17 & '18 cap numbers are $14.769M, $13.631M & $13.2M.

Which means his roster spot is essentially guaranteed until the 2018 season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: