Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Charles Godfrey takes pay cut
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fraziafraze07

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the cap ramifications of this pay cut in subsequent years?

Usually when a player's base salary is slashed, doesn't it have to be converted into bonus money. The player is still owed a certain amount of money; all that changes is how it counts toward the cap, right? And when that sort of short term relief happens, it usually adds to the cap in later years. Any word on this deal?

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:
Yeah, great news on all fronts. I wonder what this means as far as Hardy and Cam. With the pay advance, my gut is telling me that they're going to lock down Hardy soon.

A Hardy long term deal would lower his cap number this year.

Not sure on Cam but his might also lower this years cap.

Thanks CK
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraziafraze07 wrote:
What are the cap ramifications of this pay cut in subsequent years?

Usually when a player's base salary is slashed, doesn't it have to be converted into bonus money. The player is still owed a certain amount of money; all that changes is how it counts toward the cap, right? And when that sort of short term relief happens, it usually adds to the cap in later years. Any word on this deal?

pay cuts don't count towards future years it's when they restructure and guarantee money and it spreads over years remaining on deal which just kicks bucket down the road like Saints doing with Brees.

Thanks CK
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
burnoutonme wrote:
Yeah, great news on all fronts. I wonder what this means as far as Hardy and Cam. With the pay advance, my gut is telling me that they're going to lock down Hardy soon.

A Hardy long term deal would lower his cap number this year.

Not sure on Cam but his might also lower this years cap.

Seems like there would two things to focus on after the draft, hopefully we'll be hearing the good news soon.

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Dingo18287

Most Valuable Poster

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully expected Godrey to be gone, so this is a pleasant surprise. Glad to have him back.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carolina Panthers have more than 8 million dollars of cap space after this move. Click on the Panthers inside to link to see each player and how much they count against the cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2014/
boondock

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrown2699 wrote:
Carolina Panthers have more than 8 million dollars of cap space after this move. Click on the Panthers inside to link to see each player and how much they count against the cap.

This is enough to sign our rookies and potentially pick up some late roster additions as the offseason goes on.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

This is enough to sign our rookies and potentially pick up some late roster additions as the offseason goes on.

Yep. And, this offseason was necessary because the Panthers are in much better shape moving forward. Hardy's hit will go down with a long term deal (or he walks) and this offseason has set the Panthers up for the future contracts of Cam and Luke, and Star for that matter.
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrown2699 wrote:
boondock wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

Yep. And, this offseason was necessary because the Panthers are in much better shape moving forward. Hardy's hit will go down with a long term deal (or he walks) and this offseason has set the Panthers up for the future contracts of Cam and Luke, and Star for that matter.

Be interesting on CJ going forward with that cap number.

Thanks CK
Smitty89

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:
boondock wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

Be interesting on CJ going forward with that cap number.

I'd hate to see him go but I'm sure they will work something out and hel take a slight pay cut next season. He isn't worth what he's making next season. He loves Carolina and I think he retires a Panther. We can't afford to EVER break up Hardy and Johnson.
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dingo18287 wrote:
I fully expected Godrey to be gone, so this is a pleasant surprise. Glad to have him back.
He's undoubtedly the best safety on the roster, assuming he can even decently recover from the injury. He was the best and most experience DB we had going into last year. He's not a game-breaking safety but he's a good player. I'm happy he's back.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Dingo18287 wrote:
He's undoubtedly the best safety on the roster, assuming he can even decently recover from the injury. He was the best and most experience DB we had going into last year. He's not a game-breaking safety but he's a good player. I'm happy he's back.

It could work well for us to use our safeties in situational roles. Have Godfrey/Harper start, move Godfrey to the slot and bring in DeCoud on some obvious passing downs, stuff like that. We might not have any great players at safety, but we have several who are good in one aspect or another.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
Dingo18287 wrote:

It could work well for us to use our safeties in situational roles. Have Godfrey/Harper start, move Godfrey to the slot and bring in DeCoud on some obvious passing downs, stuff like that. We might not have any great players at safety, but we have several who are good in one aspect or another.

I love the safety position on this team right now. We took 2 players from our division rivals that were Pro Bowl players 2-3 seasons ago and have plenty of insight on both rivals playbooks. Harper is great against the run and is the best blitzing S in the game (most sacks by any DB since 2006). He is a better Mikell at generating pressure. He can come down into the box on running downs too. Gives us a front 8 that no team will be able to run on. Decoud just had one of those years last season. 2012 he was a pro bowler and I hated going up against him. He is good against the run and pass, an all around safety. Where as Harper excels against the run, hitting and making WRs think twice about crossing the middle. Godfrey is still our best S if healthy. Our defense is going to be even better this season than last. If Mike Mitchell can look like a pro bowler behind our front 7, imagine what a Decoud could look like whose made the pro bowl and that was on a ATL defense that wasn't elite. Its going to be an interesting battle in camp for both positions. I hope Harper isn't getting too old and still has 2 more solid seasons in him.
catamount

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:

Regular Reader-rarely do I post---
I would say "nothing new with Hardy." It really makes no sense to lock into an agreement with Hardy right now. Hardy is coming off his best season, and he wants to be paid based on those numbers alone. How good is he? Well, he was one of the best in 2013, but he faced some weak OTs. Notice how is sacks came in bunches, multiple sacks vs. rookies and subs. Gettlemen would be smart to watch him for another season. Are we saving anything by signing him to a long-term deal? Not unless you guarantee a ton and backload a deal like CJ's. Paying Hardy at his statistical peak is unwise. If he does it again, he is worth the $$, and it is unlikely that his salary goes up much more than what he wants. If he gets 8 sacks in 2014, you then average his productivity and pay him much less. There is no way I would lock Hardy down now.

If the money goes anywhere, IMO, it would be to sign a player or two later.
Drics13

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catamount wrote:
burnoutonme wrote:

Regular Reader-rarely do I post---
I would say "nothing new with Hardy." It really makes no sense to lock into an agreement with Hardy right now. Hardy is coming off his best season, and he wants to be paid based on those numbers alone. How good is he? Well, he was one of the best in 2013, but he faced some weak OTs. Notice how is sacks came in bunches, multiple sacks vs. rookies and subs. Gettlemen would be smart to watch him for another season. Are we saving anything by signing him to a long-term deal? Not unless you guarantee a ton and backload a deal like CJ's. Paying Hardy at his statistical peak is unwise. If he does it again, he is worth the $$, and it is unlikely that his salary goes up much more than what he wants. If he gets 8 sacks in 2014, you then average his productivity and pay him much less. There is no way I would lock Hardy down now.

If the money goes anywhere, IMO, it would be to sign a player or two later.

Good point.

Anyone think Asante Samual could come in for a year and do a job, with our front 7 versus Atlantas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: