Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is more important to build around?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smitty89

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
ericr0319 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:

And offense doesn't matter?

it does matter. but defense is more important. when was the last time an average defense won a super bowl? every winner either had a top 10 (or extremely close to it) defense or had their defense step up in the playoffs. if the other team can't score and you impose your will on them, you win games. dave gettleman said this himself last week with the panthers, saints, seahawks, and 49ers being the four best defenses/teams in the NFC.

seattle had the 3rd best starting field position last season and besides lynch, there are no weapons for wilson. tate has never hit 900 yards. baldwin and kearse are 3s. zach miller blocks more than anything. his OL isn't even very good outside of okung and unger. he runs for his life as much as cam does.
this is a terrible conversation. rarely if ever does a team who has a terrible offense and great defense win, and does a team with a terrible defense and great offense win. even win the colts won there D was good. even when the Bucs won their offense was solid. buc you cannot have an offense that doesnt move the ball and win. you can win a shoot out.

Yeah, its almost never just one unit doing well. I think the most common formula is to have one great unit and for the other to be just above average, but playing great down the stretch and in the playoffs. The last two winners were great D/streaky O, but overall I think the defense is the unit you'd want to live with as the weaker one. Of course you don't just give it up if your D is a strong unit, but you need to make sure your offense is in order too.

The Broncos and Seahawks game was a prime example of what I'd want. Seattle had the elite defense with a good offense, Denver had the elite offense and a good defense. The elite defense with a solid offense is a formula for success.
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty89 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
ericr0319 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:

it does matter. but defense is more important. when was the last time an average defense won a super bowl? every winner either had a top 10 (or extremely close to it) defense or had their defense step up in the playoffs. if the other team can't score and you impose your will on them, you win games. dave gettleman said this himself last week with the panthers, saints, seahawks, and 49ers being the four best defenses/teams in the NFC.

seattle had the 3rd best starting field position last season and besides lynch, there are no weapons for wilson. tate has never hit 900 yards. baldwin and kearse are 3s. zach miller blocks more than anything. his OL isn't even very good outside of okung and unger. he runs for his life as much as cam does.
this is a terrible conversation. rarely if ever does a team who has a terrible offense and great defense win, and does a team with a terrible defense and great offense win. even win the colts won there D was good. even when the Bucs won their offense was solid. buc you cannot have an offense that doesnt move the ball and win. you can win a shoot out.

Yeah, its almost never just one unit doing well. I think the most common formula is to have one great unit and for the other to be just above average, but playing great down the stretch and in the playoffs. The last two winners were great D/streaky O, but overall I think the defense is the unit you'd want to live with as the weaker one. Of course you don't just give it up if your D is a strong unit, but you need to make sure your offense is in order too.

The Broncos and Seahawks game was a prime example of what I'd want. Seattle had the elite defense with a good offense, Denver had the elite offense and a good defense. The elite defense with a solid offense is a formula for success.

My man!
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
HighPointNCKid

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Smitty89 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
ericr0319 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:

My man!

I disagree Denver had a good D? When Von Miller went down they had ZERO pass rush? Without a pass rush, you cant have a good defense? Can you?
Smitty89

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighPointNCKid wrote:
cpanthers178990 wrote:
Smitty89 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
ericr0319 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:

My man!

I disagree Denver had a good D? When Von Miller went down they had ZERO pass rush? Without a pass rush, you cant have a good defense? Can you?

I'd say Seattles O was slightly better than Denvers D. But Foxy and Del Rio did a solid job after Miller went down. They had a respectable defense.
Smitty89

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more recent Super Bowls off the top of my head where an elite defense won. We were a field goal away from being on this list. Crying or Very sad

Seahawks over Broncos
Bucs over Raiders
Ravens over Giants
Giants over Patriots
Packers over Steelers
Steelers over Cardinals
ericr0319

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont even think you need stud WR to succeed, which is why i prefer we go OT OT, in 1 and 2. This draft is going to have a record number of WR go in the 1st round.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:
I dont even think you need stud WR to succeed, which is why i prefer we go OT OT, in 1 and 2. This draft is going to have a record number of WR go in the 1st round.

I agree, but still think we need to get a young WR early to groom around.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:
ericr0319 wrote:
why do people want a DE?

Insurance. Make a strength even stronger. You can never have to many good players.
ok then why dont we take teddy bridgewater if hes there? or cj mosley, can never have enough ilb? if we take a DE and you guys like that pick youre either lying or retarded and dont understand what this team needs.

Not saying we should go DE, but you cant rotate QBs. So taking Bridgewater isnt the same as taking a DE. And I would say we actually have decent depth at ILB. So another good ILB wouldnt make any sense either.

If you want to keep up a relentless pass rush, it never hurts to have great depth at DE and DT. Keeps them fresh. And insures against an injury completely rerouting our entire defensive approach.

CK on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: