Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FM's last minute mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: FM's last minute mock Reply with quote

I wasn't going to make a mock for this year as I really haven't followed the draft process as closely as I have in the past, but I like to just take guesses and see how close they are in the end, so I decided to go for it.

Note: Some of the later round guys I honestly don't know much about more than quick reads of scouting reports and seeing where they fell in a handful of other mock drafts. They may be too high/too low, but I judged them off of where others had them.

So, without further ado...

** Ravens trade #17 (950) to SF for #30 (1st) (620), #61 (2nd) (292), #129 (4th) (43) **

30 - Kyle Fuller, CB, VT - The Ravens are lucky and one of their favorite CBs slips right into their hands. Fuller is a solid all around CB with solid zone skills which will help solidify our nickel packages.

48 - Terrance Brooks, FS, Florida State - The Ravens miss out on their #1 FS in Jimmie Ward due to Fuller's value at #30, but they gain a nice consolation in their #2 FS. Brooks may not have quite the ball skills that Ward has, but he makes up for it in his coverage abilities and particularly his closing speed. The Ravens are hoping his hands can improve so that when he does get his hands on the ball, he's taking it the other way.

** Ravens trade #56 (from SF) and #129 (from SF) to Arizona for #52 (jump GB) **

52 - Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington - Ravens thought several TEs at the mid-late 2nd round provided solid value. Hoping that ASJ would slip, but considering Niklas as a nice consolation prize, the Ravens found that Arizona was willing to trade back. Rumors were that GB had ASJ in it's targets so the Ravens part ways with their two picks gained from SF in exchange for the Cardinal's pick. ASJ offers the Ravens a well rounded TE who will give the Ravens another legitimate redzone threat next to Pitta.

79 - Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor - The Ravens know that Rice's future is uncertain in terms of on the field. Whether 2013 was a sign of things to come or just a down season, Rice is undoubtedly declining at least a bit. With Pierce likely being the future workhorse as early as potentially this season, Seastrunk offers a very nice change of pace. I consider his playstyle similar to that of Jamaal Charles of the Chiefs -- the HR threat at any moment. He doesn't have the greatest of vision, IMO, but in a Kubiak system, if he can find a hole he can explode through it and be gone before the defense knows what hit them.

99 - Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU - A very productive college career but his physical skills don't wow you. However, this is the type of pick the Ravens love to make in the middle rounds. Landry offers the Ravens a solid route runner with solid hands to be a reliable go-to guy on short to intermediate routes. I liken him to a combination of Mason and Boldin, both WRs that Flacco loved.

134 - Anthony Steen, OG, Alabama - Steen faced some injury problems in college but overall can provide us a solid depth option and potential starter at LG. We saw just last season what happens when you have limited depth on the OL with how badly Shipley filled in for us and so the Ravens dip into the Crimson well to grab Steen who is a good fit for a zone system.

138 - Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton -- DL is always a good thing and Reid provides the Ravens with a pro-ready type DE. He may not have the upside of other players in the draft but he can be a solid role player for the Ravens and key depth along the DL.

175 - Wesley Johnson, OG/C, Vanderbilt -- Johnson is a developmental type pick here for the Ravens as he is simply not polished enough to come in and make any sort of solid impact IMO. Hoewever, he's a smart kid with a good frame, just needs to fill out and gain some strength. I think he's a potential practice squad stash type guy, give him a year or two in an NFL strength program and he could compete for a job down the line.

194 - Logan Thomas, QB, VT -- Thomas has all of the physical tools to be an NFL QB, but just hasn't put it together at all. The Ravens once again take a flier on a VT QB in the late rounds to sit behind Joe in case he shows he's human and goes down.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the ASF pick, but no Bishop Sankey?! CMON FM!!!!!111

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I like it a lot.

My only real criticism is giving up a 4th to trade up for ASJ if, as you mention, Niklas is also still available. I'd rather hold my water there and take Niklas, then use the 4th rounder to maybe get a higher rated OL than Steen or Johnson.

The only other thing is Seastrunk in the 3rd. Is he overdrafted there? I don't know, because the RBs as a group are so difficult to pin down as to when they start flying off the board, and in what order.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it too. Fuller is a good prospect and a good value there. I'm not a huge fan of taking Brooks at 48 but he fits a huge need and should be a solid player. A tight end that high would surprise me but either Sefarian-Jenkins or Niklas would be okay. Seastrunk and Landry in the third round make sense. That's probably where the running backs start to get taken and Seastrunk would be something different than what they have. Landry just seems like a Ravens player. I'm not too familiar with Steen. Reid is a mid-round defensive line prospect I like. I'm not familiar with Johnson either. Thomas that late would be fine but to be honest I don't think he falls that far. Of course with backup quarterback prospects it's almost always just a matter of personal preference so it's really hard to predict where those guys go.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
I like it. I like it a lot.

My only real criticism is giving up a 4th to trade up for ASJ if, as you mention, Niklas is also still available. I'd rather hold my water there and take Niklas, then use the 4th rounder to maybe get a higher rated OL than Steen or Johnson.

I completely see your point. Initially I had Niklas there but then started realizing that A) the Ravens like to move around a bit typically in round 2-4 and B) we have so many comp picks that can't be traded and I didn't want to overdraft in terms of quantity. So, I went with the idea that they agree with me in that ASJ is ahead of Niklas and losing a late 4th is worth the difference. But, I most certainly can see an opposing view and wanting a better OG prospect in that area.

Quote:
The only other thing is Seastrunk in the 3rd. Is he overdrafted there? I don't know, because the RBs as a group are so difficult to pin down as to when they start flying off the board, and in what order.

I agree with what c0 mentioned above -- I think RBs will start to go on a run in the 3rd and I think Seastrunk is likely to be in that group.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

#homersimpson

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I like it too. Fuller is a good prospect and a good value there. I'm not a huge fan of taking Brooks at 48 but he fits a huge need and should be a solid player. A tight end that high would surprise me but either Sefarian-Jenkins or Niklas would be okay. Seastrunk and Landry in the third round make sense. That's probably where the running backs start to get taken and Seastrunk would be something different than what they have. Landry just seems like a Ravens player. I'm not too familiar with Steen. Reid is a mid-round defensive line prospect I like. I'm not familiar with Johnson either. Thomas that late would be fine but to be honest I don't think he falls that far. Of course with backup quarterback prospects it's almost always just a matter of personal preference so it's really hard to predict where those guys go.

Yeah I questioned if Thomas would fall that far but I agree -- backup QB type guys are so hit or miss in those late rounds, its a matter of who likes who. I considered other options along the way (Murray particularly) but felt that if anyone is going to slip, it'll probably be Thomas over Murray because Thomas is 100% physical tools and that's it.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

#homersimpson

Everyone knows the secret to success is having as many U-Dub players on your team as possible! Cool

coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

#homersimpson

Everyone knows the secret to success is having as many U-Dub players on your team as possible! Cool

Would you hate it if Deone Bucannon was picked by Baltimore? I don't know the rivalry dynamics between the two universities and I'm curious now.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

#homersimpson

Would you hate it if Deone Bucannon was picked by Baltimore? I don't know the rivalry dynamics between the two universities and I'm curious now.

I'm wondering what your answer would be if it was Lewan or even Martin/Tuitt/Niklas Cool
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Lewan I would hate. I'm not ashamed to admit that at all. There has been a lot of talk lately that Lewan is likely to go in the top ten and I pray that's true. There isn't any real rivalry with Notre Dame though. I honestly don't know any State fan that feels anything like that. Martin and Niklas are a couple fo my favorite prospects in the draft. To me Niklas seems less likely to be a target for Baltimore than Martin but I'd be happy with either. The most despised rival after Michigan would probably be Ohio State, but even that isn't a huge deal.

On a somewhat related note my heart would break again if Dennard went to Pittsburgh. I don't know if I could handle that after them taking Le'Veon Bell last year.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

#homersimpson

Actually I don't care for either UW or WSU, I just am a huge fan of Sankey because he played against me in high school and I like ASJ's athleticism. I would also love it if Bucannon came here as well Cool

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the secondary picks. I'm a big fan of Kyle Fuller. I think he'd be a good pick at 17 let alone 30. I think he's a perfect fit for Pees coverage scheme and the second best CB in this draft class.

I'm also a fan of Terrance Brooks... only, if we were looking to target him, I'd much rather see us move down a little and pick up some extra value in the process. I think #48 is too high for him. I think he shouldn't look to go until around pick #60 or so. Could maybe get a 4th/5th in some sort of trade down scenario.

ASJ is cool. But personally, I think Troy Niklas is going to be the better TE. He's already a superior blocker to ASJ. He crushes people, for as big as ASJ was, he was always the just a blocker that "got in the way" and not someone that was an imposing force at the LOS- like CJF or Niklas.

Further, I think his athleticism is somewhat overrated. He's definitely athletic. But he's only "good" in that department and not "great" like an Ebron. Niklas is similarly fast vertically, but is the much more physical receiver for YAC. He reminds me of Gronk and Jason Witten. He's more raw ATM, but with Pitta and Daniels, we don't need a TE for immediate assistance. Niklas can intern for a season and then really take off the following season as a sophomore.

Seastrunk is a good back. But he's injury prone and I'd much rather wait until the comp 3rd and use it for Terrance West. I think there's still going to be too much talent left on the board to go RB before that. I'd prefer going for a WR or an OL at that spot.

Not a fan of Landry. Would much improve the mock if instead of Landry you drafted Brandon Coleman or someone like that.

Not a fan of going OL at such a late point in the draft. We just used late round picks on a guard and OT last season. If we're going to target an OL, I'd much prefer it be in the 2nd/3rd. Where we could still find a nice player that should definitely bring upside and talent.

Haven't scouted Reid. Wesley Johnson = see above regarding Steen. And lastly, I think Logan Thomas is a nice pick. He's proven to have really high highs on occasion. And in the event that Flacco goes out for an extended period of time, Thomas provides a player that has all the physical tools to work with. He can win games on arm talent and physical ability alone, however he's incredibly inconsistent with his footwork, technique, and focus. That said, if he improves his consistency, he's a top caliber talent that we'd have as our back up.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very happy with those top two picks. Although, I was a lot happier when Kyle Fuller was being talked about as a 3rd round pick. I really like him.

I definitely like Ward more than Brooks at FS, but Brooks would be a more than acceptable pick in the 2nd round.

Not so sure about ASJ, because I think the Ravens have enough at TE with Pitta and Daniels, and I still want to see Furstenburg get a chance, and Juszczyk catching some passes next season.

Landry is one of that middle pack of WRs that I'm not sure about. A lot of talk about the depth of this class, but it just seems too good to be true for me that many of these guys live up to the talk. I guess it's a case of always looking at the elite guys, like Watkins, Beckham and Evans, and thinking, 'we could have had him'.

The rest of the draft does address all the team's needs well enough, though. And I've been intrigued by the idea of drafting Logan Thomas, with a late pick. He's a young kid with all the physical tools in the world, and could potentially become a very, very good QB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: