Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Battle with the choice of WR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which wide receiver is ideal in the first two rounds
Jordan Matthews
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Devante Adams
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Martavis Bryant
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Donte Moncrief
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Brandin Cooks
47%
 47%  [ 11 ]
Kelvin Benjamin
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 23

jrl23

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Battle with the choice of WR Reply with quote

While I love Brandon Cooks, I am assuming he will be gone by 28 as Kelvin Benjamin may be - I like the yacht ability of KB, but when you factor in his age, questionable speed (looks faster on tape than the 4.61 indicates) and supposed lack of effort, Jordan Matthews and/or decanter Adams look like superior options. Odell beckham is slightly overrated to me as I don't see him as a true burner or as a super elusive player which also applies to Marqise Lee who: a) played at USC where all wide receivers appear overhyped (Woods was a better prospect IMO and lee reminds me of Damian Williams (USC WR to a T) b) lacks elite speed for his c) while somewhat elusive, lacks the speed to take the ball the distance after making a defender miss and lacks the strength to break tackles consistently d) will be 23 (same age as KB) when the season starts e) has not demonstrated the traits of a no. 1 wideout. With Cooks, the speed, the youth (abt 21), the elusiveness, and the intelligence are there and he also seemingly has enough strength to real tackles when he so chooses. With the options that appear most likely to be available, Jordan Matthews ran a 4.4 at 6'3, is excellent at tracking the ball and plucking it away, actually looks like a blazer on film when pulling away from defenders, and has awesome hands and terrific work ethic. Devante Adams looks a little slower than Jordan but also a little stronger and ran a sub 4.5 forty at his pro-day I believe - he has awesome hands good speed, and reminds me a lot of a slower Josh Gordon. Lastly are Donta Moncrief and Martavis Bryant who are both HWS guys who ran blazing 4.4s with the latter having the ability to reach out and grab the ball over the defender - awesome 2nd/3rd round picks. Who has the most potential to be an elite no. 1 receiver?
skylined8300

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A WR will not be chosen in the first round by the Panthers

NC SacKing wrote:
This isn't Madden, this isn't fantasy football, and complaining about it on the internet does NOTHING
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skylined8300 wrote:
A WR will not be chosen in the first round by the Panthers

I agree, unless someone big falls into our lap (Lee, Cooks, OBJ) I just don't see us reaching for a WR. OT or CB will be the pick here.
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are so many solid wrs in this draft that I'd hope to go moses/bitonio in the first and moncrief or adams in the second. I think philly would snag cooks. and while I like lee I'm still a little leery of USC wr.

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Panthers11

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impulser12000 wrote:
there are so many solid wrs in this draft that I'd hope to go moses/bitonio in the first and moncrief or adams in the second. I think philly would snag cooks. and while I like lee I'm still a little leery of USC wr.

Lee is a different person. I never got that argument.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
davlar

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone but Kelvin Benjamin would suit me fine, but I agree with some that WR shouldn't be the pick in the first round in such a deep class. We can find viable starters in rounds three through seven.

Don't forget this is a run-first offense and Rivera's assertion that the Panthers need only replace 10 catches per game is legitimate. It's defense, it's run the ball, it's time of possession.

That means to me the first two rounds will be along the OL or CB, with a 'blue goose' DL a strong possibility.

WR is the 'sexy' position, but pass catchers, for me, don't necessarily impact games enough to reach for one early.

Thanks to JammerHammer21 for the sig - Let The Riv-Era Begin!
Panthers11

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davlar wrote:
Anyone but Kelvin Benjamin would suit me fine, but I agree with some that WR shouldn't be the pick in the first round in such a deep class. We can find viable starters in rounds three through seven.

Don't forget this is a run-first offense and Rivera's assertion that the Panthers need only replace 10 catches per game is legitimate. It's defense, it's run the ball, it's time of possession.

That means to me the first two rounds will be along the OL or CB, with a 'blue goose' DL a strong possibility.

WR is the 'sexy' position, but pass catchers, for me, don't necessarily impact games enough to reach for one early.

Sad we are going to somewhat waste Cam Newton with this mindset.

cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
davlar wrote:

I think because we have Cam Newton we can limit our offense and still win. I know it seems like we're putting it all on Cam, but he is Superman.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Panthers11

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
davlar wrote:

I think because we have Cam Newton we can limit our offense and still win. I know it seems like we're putting it all on Cam, but he is Superman.

Seattle puts emphasis on D but gets Wilson weapons. Why we cannot do that is beyond me.

ericr0319

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does everyone want another 5'10". cam throws high?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:
why does everyone want another 5'10". cam throws high?

Because every WR on our roster cant be 6-5 or better to accommodate a fixable/coachable flaw???
Because aside from his height, Cooks is a monster! He can run the ball, catch the ball, return kicks, hes a great football player. If he were 6-5, he would be the #1 pick in this draft? He would be more of a freak than Clowney.
davlar

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We won't reach for WR.

Remember what Gettleman said - we have six to 10 OTs and WRs with a first round grade. I assume Matthews, Lewan, Robinson and possibly Khuandjio/Moses are among them, leaving maybe four wide receivers.

It's all speculation, of course, but I would much rather trade back a few picks to take advantage of a QB-needy team at the top of the second, move down a few picks and still get a Joel Bitonio or someone else, while picking up an extra fourth and change.

Thanks to JammerHammer21 for the sig - Let The Riv-Era Begin!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: