You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade Our Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's Your Early Grade for our 2014 Draft?
A or A+ (Amazing)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
B+ or A- (Very Good)
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
B- or B (Good)
39%
 39%  [ 18 ]
C or C+ (Average)
23%
 23%  [ 11 ]
D+ or C- (Below Average)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
D- or D (Very Bad)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
F (Turrrrrible)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 46

RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Grade Our Draft Reply with quote

My individual grades and overall grade:

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Round 1, Pick 26- OLB/DE Marcus Smith B+
While it's questionable whether this pick was good value relative to the rest of the league or not, we desperately needed to add a pass rusher. Smith looked to be the best pass rusher left on the board, and has all the tools to be an ideal rush linebacker in a 3-4. Pretty raw technique right now, but has a lot of upside and may be able to help us in passing situations as a rookie. Moving back 4 spots and getting a 3rd boosted this pick from B to B+.

Round 2, Pick 42- WR Jordan Matthews A
Got our potential future #1 WR, and did so in a trade that was good value for us. Matthews has good size, runs crisp routes, overall has good athleticism, and most importantly produced at the highest level of college football, holding the all time SEC record for receiving yards.

Round 3, Pick 86- WR Josh Huff B-
Didn't love that we went with WR here, and would have preferred that if we targeted another WR this early it'd have been another potential #1 WR, but Huff is an ideal 3rd or 4th WR for a spread offense like Chips', and may be able to contribute immediately due to his versatility. Value was alright, although this was probably on the early side of where he was being projected.

Round 4, Pick 101- CB/S Jaylen Watkins B
Versatile DB who can cover anywhere on the field. Round 4 was about where Watkins was expected to go so again this pick had fine value. Not a physical player though and looks like a pretty poor tackler which is a bit concerning given this franchises recent trend of DBs who can't tackle. Would have preferred a few other picks here as I thought S value was much better in 4th or 5th. Otherwise not much to complain about this pick, as it certainly fits into what we know Chip and Billy D like in their defenders.

Round 5, Pick 141- DE Taylor Hart B
Really disliked this pick initially, but it's been growing on me the more I look into him. A gritty and tough linemen who was a long time starter at Oregon. Ceiling is questionable due to his lack of athleticism, but he seems like a guy who come in and contribute instantly as a rookie with ~200 snaps. Would have preferred addressing ILB here rather than DL depth, but it never hurts having more linemen.

Round 5, Pick 162- S Ed Reynolds C+
Only pick I'm a little unhappy with. Felt there was a lot of talent around at this pick, and since we already picked up a player that could contribute early as a S in Watkins I would have preferred to predict more of a project here if we were intent on getting another safety. Reynolds looks to be disciplined safety and sound at all phases of defense, but is an average athlete with not much room to grow.

Round 7, Pick 224- NT Beau Allen A-
Really liked this pick, as I felt we needed to address NT eventually since we should not head into season with Logan and Square as our only NTs. Beau is a classic 2 3-4 NT, and his size and attitude could prove to be much needed on 3rd/4th and short situations or other obvious run situations. If Chip sticks with 3 NTs on the roster I'm certain Allen makes it, and even if Chip opts for only 2 I think he'll go with Allen over Square due to how much better a fit Allen is for our scheme.

Eagles 2014 Draft: B
Overall very satisfied with this draft and with the direction Chip an this FO are going in.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus Smith DE/OLB - B+ (8Cool

Jordan Matthews WR - A (95)

Josh Huff WR - B- (82)

Jaylen Watkins S/CB - B (85)

Taylor Hart DE - C (76)

Ed Reynolds S - B- (80)

Beau Allen NT - B+ (87)

Really like this draft. A lot. Getting Matthews at 42 is highway robbery. Hes arguably the best WR in this class IMO. Future All Pro.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Matthews took it from a C to a B, B- maybe
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+ all future all pros.
EAGLES3658

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
A+ all future all pros.

That's the spirit!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's average, nothing great, nothing extremely awful
vinniepaz

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the first post, going with a B grade here because it lacks the sure fire home run pick therefore its not an A draft. But I honestly like every pick, love the direction the team is headed. We added length and/or size all across , and not just big fat slob guys. We added athleticism and speed to go along with the size as well as versatility at every spot we drafted. Cant complain we neglected the D because basically the whole draft is on that side. Filled holes and needs , maneuvered throughout the board well . Everybody can make their case we did or didn't over draft some guys but we don't have a clue how their board looks or how they've graded certain players. Plus, we dumped Brown for great return.

I look at how the entire roster is and IMO were definitely better looking than we were last season. Can make your arguments for WRs but im sure nobody on here thinks we got worse on defense. Excited for the season and future.
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems most of us are on the same page. Personally I liked this draft more than Chips' first draft. The prospects may have been better in year 1 (arguably), but that's to be expected since we picked 18 spots higher in year 1. Given that draft slot disparity, I liked this draft more. Addressed needs much more so than last years. Overall they're pretty close, and both were B or B+ drafts.
rememberthevet

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave this draft a B+ because I think the FO did a great job of mitigating risk. Say what you want about Huff and Hart being taken too high, but that needs to be weighed against the fact that the Eagles know exactly how these players will translate to the Eagles' system.

The Marcus Smith pick also caught plenty of heat, but Howie made a great point by stating that there are never 32 players with first round grades, every draft has a drop-off, it just depends where. For this draft, all of the 6 or 7 players we had interest in that had a first round grade from us were gone, so we did the right thing---traded down and then took our favorite player from the next tier. This happens every year at the end of the first round, players get taken and people scratch their heads because they've been looking at numbered lists of prospect rankings and that's just not how it really works. Except most other teams aren't able to capitalize on the value surplus like we did (see 49ers taking Jimmie Ward).

I highly recommend that everyone watch Roseman's recap, he gave very honest, detailed and thoughtful answers to every question, and you can really see this guy knows what he's doing.
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/videos/videos/Roseman-Recaps-Draft/78b505a9-5ce6-4be7-b579-2b36fad7fbbb

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

early Eagles' draft grades from around the web...

SI/Farrar: C- (tied for worst)
Yahoo: C- (tied for 2nd worst)
CBS/Prisco: B+ (tied for 5th best with several others)
SBNation/Fairburn: C+ (tied for 2nd worst with several others)

haters
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B or B+

I liked Marcus Smith. I think Eagles had an early 2nd round grade on him, but no 1st round talent left and got a third pick for moving back. Considering what went after Smith and the rumor 49'ers would have taken him. I like the pick.

Little worried about Matthews and his "lack of separation". But the size, athletic and the interchangeables, i like this pick alot.

Huff will contribute on ST, hopefully both as Returner and gunner, also add good depth to our WR core.

I like Watkins a lot.

Harts solid, big guy.

Reynolds, so so.

Allen, yeah I like this pick a lot.

Reynolds, Huff and Hart are the 3 picks I'm not loving, but I dont hate 'em either. No where near as excited as 2012draft. Cant remember my feelings regards to 2013, though I think I like this draft better.

Kiltman on the sig
baconrad3

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not worried about Matthews' separation ability at all.

Howie said it best. He may not be a 4.3 guy, but hes 6'3 217 lbs with 35" arms. Dude just snatches the ball out of the air whether he has a defender on him or not.

Also I think people underrate his athletic ability anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a C. The 1st and 3rd round picks were bit of reaches. I like the Matthews and Watkins pick. There seemed to be some reaching though and that generally doesn't work out but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt to see how it turns out.
Jeezla

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
Im not worried about Matthews' separation ability at all.

Howie said it best. He may not be a 4.3 guy, but hes 6'3 217 lbs with 35" arms. Dude just snatches the ball out of the air whether he has a defender on him or not.

Also I think people underrate his athletic ability anyway.

His arms are 33 1/4". Where are you getting 35" from?

I give the draft a 'C' as well.

2018 Draft: Saquon Barkley + Court Sutton #20 #92 Fire Doof Pederson.
Fly Eagles Fly

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: