Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

receivers lost- a ninjapirate exclusive
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: receivers lost- a ninjapirate exclusive Reply with quote

I know a lot of you are whining about desean being cut like chip can't replace him. What I say to you is,

1. Stop being a girl.

2. DeSean will be easily replaced.

Ok first let's look at total stats lost this offseason on offense. I am including jason avant because he played a lot of snaps.

Avant 38 catches 447 yards 2 tds

jackson 82 catches 1332 yards 9 tds

Production missing- 120 catches 1779 yards 11 tds

ok we added darren sproles as a receiving back, let's subtract his stats from last year to be fair.

So that leaves 67 catches 1559 yards and 9 tds

Ok so now jeremy maclin returns at a projected career year(desean and mccoy had career years). We will use 1.15 to multiple maclins best years to duplicate deseans increase in yards with chip.

ok so after all those additions the only thing missing is yards.

The eagles will still need 450 yards to make up for last year, already in the positive for catches and tds.

I think any rookie receiver can make up that last 450 receiving yards.

Hell Riley full season with foles and ertz second year might make that up.

Discuss.

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
rememberthevet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am absolutely 100% with you on this. Desean was a great talent, but the Eagles offense "has never been about one guy." You also didn't add Sproles' rushing yards to the equation, although it's fine that you didn't.

I don't think people are honestly understanding that Chip was CONVINCED his offense would be better without Desean. These are the most likely reasons, which have been stated ad nasuem:
1) He couldn't/wouldn't really run slants or ins to the middle of the field due to his size, he would have gotten hurt way too easily.
2) He didn't excel at blocking, and chip loves blocking because he loves running the ball.
3) If you're looking for a receiver that has great straight line speed that can run goes and hitches for you, you can find one for a lot less than $10+ million per year. The Saints have had a guy in their offense to fill this role (the field stretcher) FOR YEARS, his name was Robert Meachem. Now they have Kenny Stills.
4) People argue about replacing Desean's hefty stats, buts let us not forget that the argument works both ways. He was the #1 receiver on an offense that gave him a lot of good matchups due to our incredibly effective running game, stats therefore ensued.

Last time I checked, there are plenty of #1 receivers out there who aren't nearly as fast as Desean is. Why do they put up comparable stats? Because they DON'T just beat defenders with speed, they use a combination of size, speed, agility and strength to beat defenders in a variety of ways; i.e. they are versatile. Versatility is a lot harder to shut down, and it also allows the coach to "set up" the defense, which is what Chip likes to do as a coach (this is why we basically run everything out of the shotgun, teams never know what type of play is coming).

As ninja has eloquently put, we already have people on this team that are going to replace some of Desean's production, and this draft is chock full of receiving prospects that have true #1 potential.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Maclin is coming off an ACL tear. What if he turns into an Avant or Cooper statistically?
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
But Maclin is coming off an ACL tear.

That's the one thing I think needs to be addressed when talking about this.
Kiltman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea

Second year Zach Ertz will be a biggest factor in it I think next to Sproles.
Especially from the versatility of those two compared to Desean, who was limited in what he would/could do.

I agree with Maclin coming off an ACL tear its tough to know where he'll be at. But since its been awhile I'd expect at least an average of what he's done in the past.

I think the offense as a whole will perform much more smoothly/consistently because everyone can do much more in the close and mid ranges now. And when you crank that pace to 11 like Chip likes to do, it'll be fun to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confident the offense maintains or exceeds last year but I'm worried about counting on Maclin. Big injury and never thought he was a gamer to begin with and now he's basically just given the #1 role.

I'll hold my complete opinion until the draft but I think if they want to improve the passing game and really start to be an upper echelon offense they need a young dynamic draftee to mold and eventually take that #1 spot.

Also, am excited to see Ertz get after it this year.

Kilt sig - 808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
Poloc2289

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped reading after "Stop being a girl"

That's enough reason for me

PowerElite wrote:
Please stop responding to my posts. You are a consistently terrible poster and aren't worth my time to thoroughly refute your drivel.
rememberthevet

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip Kelly:

Quote:
"You want someone that can separate from one-on-one coverage, be where you’re supposed to be when you’re supposed to be there with separation and catch the football," he said. "And that’s the biggest aspect for it. It can come in a lot of different ways. It can be the speed element of it. It can be the power and size element of it. There’s a lot of different ways to cut it."

"So anybody we’re gonna look at at wide receiver from the future here on or that’s currently on our roster is: What’s your ability to get open in one-on-one coverage? Because we see a ton of it. That’s a huge thing for us in the offseason."

“There’s certain guys in our league that have both and that’s why they’re elite,” Kelly said at the owners meetings. “They have the size element of it, they also have the speed element of it. There’s a lot of different ways to do it.”

http://www.thechipwagon.com/eagles/2014/04/understanding-football-reasons-was-foles-holding-the-ball-too-long.html
I think it's relatively easy to infer from those statements, especially the bolded parts, that Chip didn't consider Desean to be elite or deserve elite $$$, because he wasn't versatile enough and struggled at times in single (press) coverage.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we have someone who can take a safety out of the box, there's going to be a noticeable impact. Riley sure as hell isn't that guy. Maclin or Ertz is going to have to setup up in a big way and stretch the field. Personally, I don't have much faith in Maclin, even before his injury.
Johnnygunnz

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you... to a point.

DeSean can be replaced, but I don't think easily.

I'd prefer to go with the devil you know to the devil you don't... and I kinda know what I'm getting from DeSean every year.

Too many "what ifs" and unknowns for me to really feel ok with straight cutting him, though I am coming around.

And I think he's going to be the new Albert Hainsworth of Washington. Laughing
nlesthought

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Chip said we're going to see a ton of man coverage, expect a polished route runner.

Also Ninja your equation is flawed, you can't take Sproles' numbers from last year, different system.

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
Jeezla

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it takes 2 or more people to replace DeSeans production, then we really didn't replace him.

Kilty Sig '15 Wish List: L Collins, D Greenberry, K Fackrell, R Mueller, S Mouhon, E McCarthy
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
As Chip said we're going to see a ton of man coverage, expect a polished route runner.

Also Ninja your equation is flawed, you can't take Sproles' numbers from last year, different system.
In that case you can't take Maclin's numbers either

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
If it takes 2 or more people to replace DeSeans production, then we really didn't replace him.

I disagree with this.

Why does it have to by just one guy "replacing production"?

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how they get those points and yards. If it takes 2 new guys to get to the total, then so be it. But if the Eagles get to around 27.6 PPG and 417.2 YPG, they've successfully replaced DeSean Jackson.

I think the Eagles will exceed both of those numbers.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm less worried about the statistical production and more concerned about the schematics. Less cover 2 shells+more guys in the box = possibly less yards for McCoy/more pressure on Foles.

Not trying to compare him to Brady but last year Tom had nobody to stretch the field nor consistently beat man coverage. Granted he put up numbers (almost every QB can put up lots of yards these days) but is that a winning formula in Jan/Feb?

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: