Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons Texans trade proposal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falconidaeTATF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Falcons Texans trade proposal Reply with quote

Mod edit: You can't post links to other forums. So I've deleted the link, but we can still keep this post to debate. -mse326

Here's a proposed trade from TATF- the Falcons messageboard, wanted to get Texan's fans opinion of it.

Julio Jones
6th pick
3rd round pick
2015 3rd round pick

for
DeAndre Hopkins
1st pick
2nd round pick

Falcons would then have pick
1st- Jadevaon Clowney DE
33rd - Morgan Mosses OT
37th - Jimmie Ward S

Why Falcons make the trade - Instead of giving up multiple draft picks to move up to 1 they give up there most valuable possession in Julio is coming off a injury . Julio has the potential to be one of the best Wrs in league but Falcons can't risk him being on the sidelines or giving up multiple picks to move up to 1 . Falcons will downgrade from Julio to Hopkins but still pick up a capable wr that can grow into a 1wr someday . They fix the trenches with Clowney and Mosses and still have a cheap young talented wr

Why the Texans make this trade
They want out 1 and want to secure a QB they desire . They also give that I coming QB a potential great wr to work with once Andre Johnson retires. They already have a play maker on defense now they have one on offense . They slide down couple spots upgrade the talent of wr and pick up a extra 3rd round pick in next years draft
Hannibal3188

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck no.

1. Hopkins for Jones just makes us older at a position where we already have an aging Andre Johnson reaching his twilight years. I (and I think most on this forum would agree) saw enough from Hopkins last year to be confident in his ability to take over as WR1 when AJ retires in a couple years.

2. Us picking at number 6 and then not picking again until the 3rd round is a terrible idea for us. If we went 2-14 and the ONLY reason for that was QB, we wouldn't need to trade out of the first pick in the first place. But we have more holes than that, and Receiver wasn't one of them, so this cripples our ability to get multiple starters in this draft. We'd MAYBE get the QB we want at 6, then don't pick again until 65? No thank you.

3. I think you're either underestimating the difference between 1-1 and 1-6, or overvaluing the difference between Julio Jones and DeAndre Hopkins, or both.

That said, I do hope that Houston does trade down in this draft with either y'all or Cleveland, however I hope the deal looks almost nothing like this.
BladeKor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to him.
falconidaeTATF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hannibal3188 wrote:
Heck no.

1. Hopkins for Jones just makes us older at a position where we already have an aging Andre Johnson reaching his twilight years. I (and I think most on this forum would agree) saw enough from Hopkins last year to be confident in his ability to take over as WR1 when AJ retires in a couple years.

2. Us picking at number 6 and then not picking again until the 3rd round is a terrible idea for us. If we went 2-14 and the ONLY reason for that was QB, we wouldn't need to trade out of the first pick in the first place. But we have more holes than that, and Receiver wasn't one of them, so this cripples our ability to get multiple starters in this draft. We'd MAYBE get the QB we want at 6, then don't pick again until 65? No thank you.

3. I think you're either underestimating the difference between 1-1 and 1-6, or overvaluing the difference between Julio Jones and DeAndre Hopkins, or both.

That said, I do hope that Houston does trade down in this draft with either y'all or Cleveland, however I hope the deal looks almost nothing like this.

Wasn't my idea trust me. Just wanted some input from Houston fans.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The odds Nuk turns out to be as good as Julio Jones are slim and I think we could get Teddy with #6. It would be tough giving up #33, but an AJ/Julio receiving corps makes for a much easier first two years for whoever we draft at QB and gives us a true #1 for when AJ starts to fade.

Sig by matthouston91
LORK 88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trade down only makes sense if we gain more picks from it. We have a good number of holes to fill so giving up a 2nd for a 3rd in a deep draft like this would be foolish. Julio Jones is set to get a monster payday soon and Hopkins is under contract for at least the next 3 years. For as good as Julio is, he's struggled making it through a full season healthy.

ADOPT-A-TEXAN: CJ "Polish Hat" Fiedorowicz
mse326

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a chance.

Our 1 = your 1, 2, and 2015 1
Our 2 = your 2 and 4
Hopkins = late 1

Out of that you are only giving us your 1. So it cancels. That leaves us with this.

We should be getting
late 1, 2, 2, 4, 2015 1

We are getting
3 and 2015 3
Julio Jones

The 3 and 2015 3 is about equal to a late 2. Both the 2s we're owed are high 2's, so let's take out the picks you owe and change one of the 2's to a late 2 (late 2 plus late 2 = high 2)

Is Julio Jones worth a late 1, high 2, low 2, and a 2015 1st? Not even close.

#JDI

Last edited by mse326 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Falcons Texans trade proposal Reply with quote

falconidaeTATF wrote:

Julio Jones
6th pick
3rd round pick
2015 3rd round pick

for
DeAndre Hopkins
1st pick
2nd round pick

Hell NO. This trade proposal is laughable.
1. We don't have a great need at WR, and Hopkins is younger, cheaper, and healthier than Jones. Hopkins will develop.

2. #1 and #33 for #6 a 3rd and next years 3rd which is equal to this years 4th round pick. That's just crazy.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a terrible trade.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awful for all the reasons outlined above. I still maintain that if we hadn't muffed 2012 so badly with Posey / Martin and aggressively targeted one of the slot receivers including Kendall Wright, TY Hilton, Ryan Broyles, Chris Givens, or at worst just settled for Rueben Randle who would have been fine as a #2 (or my preference Dwayne Allen as blocking & red zone TE) we wouldn't have had to burn last years #1 on a guy like Hopkins who clearly wasn't the best receiver on his own team and will top out as a possession #2. As for this proposal, if WR was so important to us, why wouldn't we just draft a young healthy Sammy Watkins and be done with it which would buy us 3 extra years of cost control at the position vs. putting ourselves in the position of having to cut AJ in 2015 to resign Julio? I maintain that the Falcons would have been in a Super Bowl if they hadn't mortgaged their future in thinking they were ONLY one player away and sold out to get Jones. If they could have ever figured out how to draft RBs and CBs in the draft vs. killing their cap with expensive has-beens they might have gotten over the hump. Count me amongst those who doesn't think last year was just a one year injury related blip.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to be Atlanta 1st and 2nd plus 2015 1st or maybe we take atlantas 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th and a mid round 2015 pick

Depends on what value we give it
BladeKor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
It would have to be Atlanta 1st and 2nd plus 2015 1st or maybe we take atlantas 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th and a mid round 2015 pick

Depends on what value we give it

As long as we don't give up a 2015 first.
texansfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loss of a 2nd round pick for us is why this is a losing proposition for me. I like the upgrade of Julio over Deandre, but as Apollo pointed out, we are essentially trading for Julio right when his next contract is about to kick in. The transition from Andre to Julio would likely be seamless, as Andre doesn't have much time left. But we are really sacrificing when we give up a valuable 2nd round pick this year.

Deandre and our first, for Julio and your first and second this year seems more realistic to me. I understand we are upgrading our receiving corps by doing this, but you are getting a receiver that is under cost control for the next few seasons, plus adding a playmaker like Jadeveon Clowney.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade with the falcons and pick up an extra 2nd and a 2015 1st and then trade pick 6 to the 49ers, pick up their 2 2nds, and a 2015 1st

We suddenly have 5 picks between 29 and 60. That's 5 guys we can plug right into the roster and start or contribute and then in 2015 we have 3 1st rounders.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: