Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Ideal Cardinal Draft, Somewhat Possible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdgeoftheNest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: My Ideal Cardinal Draft, Somewhat Possible Reply with quote

Here is what I think is going to happen in the upcoming draft.

Round 1 Arizona does not get a crack at an elite OT or OLB, so they trade back with the Carolina Panthers. Carolina trades up to get Brandin Cooks. Arizona falls back 8 spots, but is compensated nicely by receiving Carolina's 28th pick and 60th pick. This would not be a perfect point spread. From what I found, Arizona's pick at 20 is worth 850 points and Carolina's pick at 28 is worth 660 points. This leaves a difference of 190 points. Carolina's 60th pick is worth 300 points. Arizona might have to throw in a 4th round pick or something to make this happen. There are some ifs in this mock draft. I feel Carolina has left themselves in a huge hole at wide receiver and would jump at the opportunity to nab Cooks. So, here we go:

Round 1 Pick 28 Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio State
He is not a big OLB by any means, but he has a good knee bend and he is fast. This would help with coverages and it would give the Cardinals another front seven difference maker. With him and Washington as backers, we would have to have one of the fastest linebacking cores in the NFL. This would give Bowles another weapon to scheme with.

Round 2 Pick A Deone Bucannon S WSU
The Cardinals need to address their safety position. From what I have heard of Deone Bucannon, he seems like a guy who does not have much drop off from Ha Ha or Pryor. This is my biggest need heading into this offseason and there does not seem like much is available on the FA market.

Round 2 Pick B Jarvis Landry WR LSU
Michael Floyd brings an attitude to our wide receiving core, but I still miss Boldin. Jarvis Landry is a physical dude. We have our burner in Ted Ginn, but adding another physical wide receiver could take our wide receiving core to an entirely new level. I would also settle for Kelvin Benjamin if Landry is gone.

Round 3 Dominique Easley DT Florida
He has injury concerns with his torn ACL, but looking at last year Keim was willing to gamble a bit with his third round pick. Easley could work into the rotation and it would also make Dockett expendable next year.

Round 4 Brandon Thomas G Clemson
He tore his ACL this offseason, so he will not be there this year. But, if Earl does not step into that other guard spot, this is an insurance policy. Thomas is not considered to be super athletic, but he was projected to be a Round 2 prospect before he tore his ACL. I really like this pick because it gives the Cardinals another guard and Thomas is considered very versatile, so if one of our guards went down, we would have a nice option.

Round 5 Will Sutton DT ASU
Arizona goes with a hometown boy. Sutton had a terrible season last year, but this was from putting on weight. He could go way higher, but he could slide due to his poor year last year. He is an explosive guy when playing at the right weight. This is a low risk and who knows what the outcome could be.

Round 6 Kadeem Carey RB UA
I think with his pedestrian numbers at the combine, plus absolute lack of love he receives from the media, Carey will be there. He could compete with Taylor as the change of pace back. Although, I have no idea what the Cardinals are planning to do with Ryan Williams.

Round 7 ?
Every single one of you that watches more college football that I do would be able to suggest someone better here than I would be able to. I hope we get the next Tom Brady with this pick, but would settle for Shannon Sharpe.

There are definitely some homer picks here, but I think the placement is not that far off.

Season Projection: Arizona Cardinals Super Bowl Champions 2015. I am totally drinking the Kool Aid, and it tastes like Gatorade. Go Cards!
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of Shazier I like it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the trade back and 1st 2 picks, the rest I'm yes and no about but its just personal preference. And we don't have a 7th rounder that is oaklands
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking two guys coming off serious knee injuries is an interesting move. Neither Thomas or Easley is likely to be a huge impact before week 8 of this season at the earliest.

Don't mind Shazier, I'm not as big on Buchannon as others, but...

I don't see the point in taking Landry. We have Fitz, Floyd, Ginn and Jaron Brown in the top four spots. The value might be OK, but I don't see impact. There are not going to be enough snaps to go around at WR.

Not a fan of another RB, and I don't think you gain anything from Carey that you could not find in an UDFA at RB.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
EdgeoftheNest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khodder- I agree about the wide receiver position, but I think the top three tight ends will be gone before we pick in the second. I would take Ebron at 20, but who wouldn't. I would not mind seeing an OT come off the board in the second if Joel Bitonio, Cyrus Kouandijo, or Mogan Moses fell. I hope Bobby Massie is the answer, but it is still an unknown. The exciting thing about this draft to me is that we should have plenty of options. I picked Easley and Thomas as building for the future picks with serious potential towards the end of this year. Keim will find some value players after the draft as well. I could easily see the Cards bring in someone like Jermichael Finley. I would not mind seeing the Cards kick the tires on Kerry Rhodes if they do not address safety this draft. It should be an awesome ride.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good draft Edge, definately an option to move back.

Really dont like Shazier, but can understand where you are coming from

Why are we picking Landry in round 2? We can wait for a WR and have 3 ok ones atm.

Easley is good pick, probably need him at 2nd round though, we wont get pass pick 64

Thomas is a risk pick, but reward is there, that is for 2015 really that ACL means he aint playing this year

Sutton is good, but is he really 3-4 material? I see him as a 4-3 DT with some big body beside him

Replace Carey with Crowell who has less tread on his tires.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: My Ideal Cardinal Draft, Somewhat Possible Reply with quote

Quote:
Round 1 Pick 28 Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio State

ehh, I find that people have a LOVE-meh relationship with him... im stuck inbetween because I feel he is great athlete than can develop into a great cover guy, but I see a guy that can get thumped by power runners and not very good once he gets a good O-lineman in his face like Dee Ford... but as far as his developmental value is, he can be a top 20 pick easily.

Quote:
Round 2 Pick A Deone Bucannon S WSU

nice pick, nice round. there are rumors that he could go in round one, but im calling BS on that.

I feel as if some people overrate him a bit too, when someone sees his 6 INTs last year they call him a 'ballhawk', but he is not, most of his INTs are off passes strait to him or tips strait to him.

Quote:
Round 2 Pick B Jarvis Landry WR LSU

interesting pick, this guy has very good hands and is reliable however im not sure if his size or toughness, he can develop them and I can see him having a tweener role beteween the slot and outside.

Quote:
Round 3 Dominique Easley DT Florida

nice pick with a nice round. I am concerned that he will end the reign of height advantage on our D-line, but he still can be a beast inside when healthy. he is tough and never gives up on a play which I like. however i dislike this pick in this particular draft (see below).

Quote:
Round 4 Brandon Thomas G Clemson

nice pick, wrong round. I think his ACL injury will take away his rookie season entirely and I can see him slipping in the 5th/6th rounds.

Quote:
Round 5 Will Sutton DT ASU

a second DT? for me we only need one, and this guy would be my pick over Easley as Easley takes up a precious pick in our draft while Sutton has similar developmental value while being taken later.

Quote:
Round 6 Kadeem Carey RB UA

ehhhh, naw. I would like him pre-Dwyer but for right now we don't need another RB. we have Dwyer/Taylor as our secondary guys and Williams would be our wild-card guy that we can throw into the mix as well, so we got 4 solid backs right now.

Quote:
Round 7 ?

let me pick one for you, Colt Lyerla out of Oregon. he had a solid but unspectacular combine... but the thing that stunned me is that he came with his priest. i don't think that he would have a priest out at the combine watching over him for nothing, and while it could be a 'fake' sign, it at least shows some sort of improvement in personal life... but even if it does not work out its only a 7th round pick.

Quote:
Go Cards!
EdgeoftheNest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My Ideal Cardinal Draft, Somewhat Possible Reply with quote

[quote="holeman1"][quote]Round 1 Pick 28 Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio State [/quote]

ehh, I find that people have a LOVE-meh relationship with him... im stuck inbetween because I feel he is great athlete than can develop into a great cover guy, but I see a guy that can get thumped by power runners and not very good once he gets a good O-lineman in his face like Dee Ford... but as far as his developmental value is, he can be a top 20 pick easily.

[quote]Round 2 Pick A Deone Bucannon S WSU[/quote]

nice pick, nice round. there are rumors that he could go in round one, but im calling BS on that.

I feel as if some people overrate him a bit too, when someone sees his 6 INTs last year they call him a 'ballhawk', but he is not, most of his INTs are off passes strait to him or tips strait to him.

[quote]Round 2 Pick B Jarvis Landry WR LSU[/quote]

interesting pick, this guy has very good hands and is reliable however im not sure if his size or toughness, he can develop them and I can see him having a tweener role beteween the slot and outside.

[quote] Round 3 Dominique Easley DT Florida[/quote]

nice pick with a nice round. I am concerned that he will end the reign of height advantage on our D-line, but he still can be a beast inside when healthy. he is tough and never gives up on a play which I like. however i dislike this pick in this particular draft (see below).

[quote]Round 4 Brandon Thomas G Clemson[/quote]

nice pick, wrong round. I think his ACL injury will take away his rookie season entirely and I can see him slipping in the 5th/6th rounds.

[quote]Round 5 Will Sutton DT ASU[/quote]

a second DT? for me we only need one, and this guy would be my pick over Easley as Easley takes up a precious pick in our draft while Sutton has similar developmental value while being taken later.

[quote]Round 6 Kadeem Carey RB UA[/quote]

ehhhh, naw. I would like him pre-Dwyer but for right now we don't need another RB. we have Dwyer/Taylor as our secondary guys and Williams would be our wild-card guy that we can throw into the mix as well, so we got 4 solid backs right now.

[quote]Round 7 ? [/quote]

let me pick one for you, Colt Lyerla out of Oregon. he had a solid but unspectacular combine... but the thing that stunned me is that he came with his priest. i don't think that he would have a priest out at the combine watching over him for nothing, and while it could be a 'fake' sign, it at least shows some sort of improvement in personal life... but even if it does not work out its only a 7th round pick.

[quote]Go Cards![/quote][/quote]

I appreciate the feedback. I completely forgot about Dwyer. We are pretty set at running back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: