Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lets say we trade back?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericr0319

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Lets say we trade back? Reply with quote

I think we could be in prime position to trade back if a QB slips past 10 in this draft. A team in the top 5 in the 2nd round might want to secure their spot and trade up. Lets say a team like jax or oak wants to trade up with us...

What can we reasonably expect?

Their 2nd and 3rd? or

Their 2nd and next years 2nd and their their 3rd?

I would be all for taking either of these assuming there are still WR and OT on the board we value early 2nd.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To gauge; in 2013 draft, Minnesota traded their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th to move from 52 to 29. That's 23 spots. Jacksonville would be moving 11 spots.

We'd probably be looking at a 2nd and 4th to do business with Jacksonville.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats not really worth it. if we got a 2nd and next years 2nd. or a 2nd and 3rd id pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
To gauge; in 2013 draft, Minnesota traded their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th to move from 52 to 29. That's 23 spots. Jacksonville would be moving 11 spots.

We'd probably be looking at a 2nd and 4th to do business with Jacksonville.

Probably right. I could see a scenario where Houston passes on a QB rd. 1 and a team like Jacksonville is desperate to leap frog them, giving up a little more than that. Other than that, I can't see us getting more. When QB's are involved, the price always goes up, especially when it's the difference between 4 years under contract and having that 5th year option of a 1st rounder.

That said, I feel like we could have some great prospects fall to us at #28 that probably wouldn't make it much farther past our pick. If we were to trade back, I'd almost be more inclined to trade back 20 spots and be able to pick up an extra 3rd. Seems to me that the 2nd-3rd round prospects are a lot closer this year than in years past, whereas I think there's a more bold line drawn between picks 25-40.

This whole moving the draft back is really, really annoying. I'm so sick of speculating. I won't even get to watch any of it, really. I've got gigs that Thursday and Friday. Damn you, NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a real possibility...

Panthers have met with Joel Bitonio twice, and most recently Ron Rivera went out to Nevada specifically to meet with him and reportedly came away very impressed. If a head coach is flying all the way across the country to visit with a dude, you have to think that the interest is real.

I have a hard time imaging any scenario where he falls to us at 60, at which point I think we'd snatch him up in a heart beat. I honestly think there's a very realistic possibility that we take him at 28, but I think there's a possibility we try to move back 5-10 spots and target him.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:
Here's a real possibility...

Panthers have met with Joel Bitonio twice, and most recently Ron Rivera went out to Nevada specifically to meet with him and reportedly came away very impressed. If a head coach is flying all the way across the country to visit with a dude, you have to think that the interest is real.

I have a hard time imaging any scenario where he falls to us at 60, at which point I think we'd snatch him up in a heart beat. I honestly think there's a very realistic possibility that we take him at 28, but I think there's a possibility we try to move back 5-10 spots and target him.

Thoughts?
It seems Rivera wants to go OLine for sure and Gettleman is saying BPA, but that is just what any GM would say and I dont really believe anything they would say to the media. Who knows what Gettleman really wants, I am sure he 100% has a direction he would like to go if the chips fell.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron probably wanted to go Riverboat in Vegas, stopped by to see Bitonio on the way so he could call it a business expense.

I kid.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what ive been reading bitonio is more suited to be an OG than an OT. If that's true what does that mean for silatulu or kugbila (man these names are getting confusing. gross was easy)

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
ericr0319

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impulser12000 wrote:
from what ive been reading bitonio is more suited to be an OG than an OT. If that's true what does that mean for silatulu or kugbila (man these names are getting confusing. gross was easy)
well kugbila has no spot in the starting roster. Silatulu should be the starter. Kugbila was a 4th rounder who got hurt so hes probably 2nd string already.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Kugbila isn't slotted to start. ATM it is

LT: Byron Bell
LG: Amini Silatolu
C: Ryan Kalil / Brian Folkerts
RG: Chris Scott / Edmund Kugbila
RT: Garry Williams

With Nate Chandler, Travis Bond, Michael Jasper, and probably some other dudes I'm forgetting who... I don't remember what they play. Or they can do both like Chandler.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impulser12000 wrote:
from what ive been reading bitonio is more suited to be an OG than an OT. If that's true what does that mean for silatulu or kugbila(man these names are getting confusing. gross was easy)

No kidding...
Silatolu
kugbila
Lotulelei
Kuechly
DeCoud
ericr0319

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
Yeah, Kugbila isn't slotted to start. ATM it is

LT: Byron Bell
LG: Amini Silatolu
C: Ryan Kalil / Brian Folkerts
RG: Chris Scott / Edmund Kugbila
RT: Garry Williams

With Nate Chandler, Travis Bond, Michael Jasper, and probably some other dudes I'm forgetting who... I don't remember what they play. Or they can do both like Chandler.

wow that is a bad Oline. I am beging to think we go Morgan Moses than JuWan James in the 2nd. Lock up our tackles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:

wow that is a bad Oline. I am beging to think we go Morgan Moses than JuWan James in the 2nd. Lock up our tackles.

I really don't think it is that bad outside of LT. And if Bell goes back to RT then Williams can compete at RG with Scott and Kugbila (or compete with Bell at RT...). Bell is bad and we could improve but he has started three years and he can start again. Amini and Kalil are at least a strength.

If anything I'd be more worried about depth. We need a backup center and backup tackles behind the new LT.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the lowdown on bitonio? is he a legitimate 1st rounder or is he a trade back and take prospect. also I've seen the gamut on him. That he's not a true OT and would be better suited at OG. but then I also see this
Quote:
Off-the-charts athleticism, character, work ethic for still-developing player

so what is he? OG OT 1st 2nd?

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
burnoutonme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impulser12000 wrote:
whats the lowdown on bitonio? is he a legitimate 1st rounder or is he a trade back and take prospect. also I've seen the gamut on him. That he's not a true OT and would be better suited at OG. but then I also see this
Quote:
Off-the-charts athleticism, character, work ethic for still-developing player

so what is he? OG OT 1st 2nd?

He's a fringe 1st rounder, similar to what Brandon Thomas would have been. Could be drafted anywhere between 24-43(I think that the Giants would be his floor, provided they don't go OL round 1.) Tweener status, projects well to guard, but could struggle at tackle due to size/length limitations. He reported that roughly 60% of the teams that he talked to specifically mentioned trying him at guard, or even at center. He's truly got a swiss army knife skillset and could move all around the line. His versatility has increased his value significantly.

He plays tough and nasty, very aggressive. Finishes his blocks. Sometimes can be overly aggressive and get off balance. Shut down Anthony Barr, and played very well against Florida (1 pressure, no sacks.) Very athletic, played basketball at a high level in high school. Seems pretty humble about position changes.

I like him for the sheer fact that we could try him at several positions in TC to see what sticks. It would allow us to see what we have in our other lineman, Bell, Kugbila, Williams, etc. #28 wouldn't be too high for him in my book, but I doubt if it's a pick that screams value when you look at it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: