Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Suh/#10 bait for trade up?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hardlion


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 302
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Suh/#10 bait for trade up? Reply with quote

What do you think Clowney was in town for? No way his agents let him visit Detroit w/o some proof of Lions ability to move up and get him. IMO the front office is getting a little tired of Suh's act and his cap hit over the next two years is about $48 mil if they have to franchise him in 2015. Send him and #10 to Jax and assure the Lions a stud(Clowney, Watkins, Mack) and get some cap relief. Not my first choice but if Suh is showing signs of not wanting to be here long term it's time to make a deal that lands us top quality talent at a more cap friendly number. Just a thought.
_________________
Really? It IS possible to build a team through the draft? Who knew?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrRay11


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3313
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Suh/#10 bait for trade up? Reply with quote

hardlion wrote:
What do you think Clowney was in town for? No way his agents let him visit Detroit w/o some proof of Lions ability to move up and get him. IMO the front office is getting a little tired of Suh's act and his cap hit over the next two years is about $48 mil if they have to franchise him in 2015. Send him and #10 to Jax and assure the Lions a stud(Clowney, Watkins, Mack) and get some cap relief. Not my first choice but if Suh is showing signs of not wanting to be here long term it's time to make a deal that lands us top quality talent at a more cap friendly number. Just a thought.


If the Lions trade Suh, an all-pro, AND their top pick for a draft pick, they ought to be fired on the spot. That's terrible value.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Louis Friend


Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 8153
Location: Detroit, MI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is Suh's act? Not agreeing to the first offer the Lions throw at him? I've haven't seen nor heard anything that suggests Suh is a problem. In fact, Mayhew, Lewand and Caldwell have come out and stated otherwise. I think fans and media are impatient and trying to paint Ndamukong in a bad light for making them wait for an extention.

Despite this, I don't think Suh is bait. Lions have the ability to trade up without giving up their best defensive player to move up a handful of spots. IF they ever decide to trade Suh, I hope it's for more than a few draft slots.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 24253
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Eric Ebron



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sllim Pickens


Moderator
Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 19189
Location: Middle of the Mitten
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would Clowney's agents not want him to visit Detroit? The team pays for it. Why not visit as many teams as possible. The lions don't have to prove anything. Just picks alone we have plenty to get Clowney if we want to spend it. We are doing our due diligence just as he and his agents are. If a team invites you, you go.
_________________


Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 49476
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suh is worth Clowney plus. Detroit wouldn't need to add 10 pick
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amaru0


Joined: 24 Dec 2004
Posts: 2620
Location: Baltimore
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Suh and #10 to St. Louis for their #2 overall.

And EVERY first rounder they have for the rest of the decade. Plus their 4th rounder in 2018. And a conditional 6th/7th in 2026.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hardlion


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 302
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Why would Clowney's agents not want him to visit Detroit? The team pays for it. Why not visit as many teams as possible. The lions don't have to prove anything. Just picks alone we have plenty to get Clowney if we want to spend it. We are doing our due diligence just as he and his agents are. If a team invites you, you go.


This late in the process? I would agree if it was three weeks ago but now there would have to be some evidence of a teams ability to go up and get your guy. There is no way he falls to #10. But this wasn't just about Clowney, it's about getting one of the top three players in this draft.
Never forget this is a salary cap league and we can't just keep kicking every can down the road to be dealt with later.
I love Suh on this team but you can't pay him like he wants/deserves and remain competitive over the long haul, IMO.
The last of the draft lottery winners has gotten to expensive for complete team viability. He is a stud and will be for the foreseeable future but painful decisions have to be made sometimes.
Not saying I want it, but it would not shock me.
_________________
Really? It IS possible to build a team through the draft? Who knew?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duanegarrison09


Joined: 11 Nov 2010
Posts: 656
Location: Macomb County, Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 24253
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardlion wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Why would Clowney's agents not want him to visit Detroit? The team pays for it. Why not visit as many teams as possible. The lions don't have to prove anything. Just picks alone we have plenty to get Clowney if we want to spend it. We are doing our due diligence just as he and his agents are. If a team invites you, you go.


This late in the process? I would agree if it was three weeks ago but now there would have to be some evidence of a teams ability to go up and get your guy. There is no way he falls to #10. But this wasn't just about Clowney, it's about getting one of the top three players in this draft.
Never forget this is a salary cap league and we can't just keep kicking every can down the road to be dealt with later.
I love Suh on this team but you can't pay him like he wants/deserves and remain competitive over the long haul, IMO.
The last of the draft lottery winners has gotten to expensive for complete team viability. He is a stud and will be for the foreseeable future but painful decisions have to be made sometimes.
Not saying I want it, but it would not shock me.
You could also argue that this late in the process that theres no reason not to visit with a team because every team interested in you should have already had you visit (assuming we're living in this world where teams only bring in guys they intend to draft which does not exist).
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Eric Ebron



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sllim Pickens


Moderator
Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 19189
Location: Middle of the Mitten
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardlion wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Why would Clowney's agents not want him to visit Detroit? The team pays for it. Why not visit as many teams as possible. The lions don't have to prove anything. Just picks alone we have plenty to get Clowney if we want to spend it. We are doing our due diligence just as he and his agents are. If a team invites you, you go.


This late in the process? I would agree if it was three weeks ago but now there would have to be some evidence of a teams ability to go up and get your guy. There is no way he falls to #10. But this wasn't just about Clowney, it's about getting one of the top three players in this draft.
Never forget this is a salary cap league and we can't just keep kicking every can down the road to be dealt with later.
I love Suh on this team but you can't pay him like he wants/deserves and remain competitive over the long haul, IMO.
The last of the draft lottery winners has gotten to expensive for complete team viability. He is a stud and will be for the foreseeable future but painful decisions have to be made sometimes.
Not saying I want it, but it would not shock me.


I don't disagree about Suh, but as I said every team has the ability to come up. Either with picks or players. If a team wants that player so bad to go get him, of course you go visit. Who cares when in the process it is. He doesn't have anything else going on so when a team wants you to visit, you visit. They don't have to show him anything or say we are willing to deal Suh to get him here. If he doesn't come to a visit it likely hurts his stock some. Even if it's a one pick drop he loses a bunch of money. And a guy with the possibility of having work ethic and determination questions better not skip out on teams.
_________________


Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
hardlion


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 302
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Suh/#10 bait for trade up? Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
hardlion wrote:
What do you think Clowney was in town for? No way his agents let him visit Detroit w/o some proof of Lions ability to move up and get him. IMO the front office is getting a little tired of Suh's act and his cap hit over the next two years is about $48 mil if they have to franchise him in 2015. Send him and #10 to Jax and assure the Lions a stud(Clowney, Watkins, Mack) and get some cap relief. Not my first choice but if Suh is showing signs of not wanting to be here long term it's time to make a deal that lands us top quality talent at a more cap friendly number. Just a thought.


If the Lions trade Suh, an all-pro, AND their top pick for a draft pick, they ought to be fired on the spot. That's terrible value.


Really? $22 mil cap hit this year! $26 mil next year if forced to franchise him. Or let him walk for nothing. That's not even a tough decision.
_________________
Really? It IS possible to build a team through the draft? Who knew?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 24253
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Suh/#10 bait for trade up? Reply with quote

hardlion wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
hardlion wrote:
What do you think Clowney was in town for? No way his agents let him visit Detroit w/o some proof of Lions ability to move up and get him. IMO the front office is getting a little tired of Suh's act and his cap hit over the next two years is about $48 mil if they have to franchise him in 2015. Send him and #10 to Jax and assure the Lions a stud(Clowney, Watkins, Mack) and get some cap relief. Not my first choice but if Suh is showing signs of not wanting to be here long term it's time to make a deal that lands us top quality talent at a more cap friendly number. Just a thought.


If the Lions trade Suh, an all-pro, AND their top pick for a draft pick, they ought to be fired on the spot. That's terrible value.


Really? $22 mil cap hit this year! $26 mil next year if forced to franchise him. Or let him walk for nothing. That's not even a tough decision.
"If forced"? They could use the transition tag, which IIRC signs him to a smaller contract and also gives them the option to match any contract he signs.
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Eric Ebron



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hardlion


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 302
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
hardlion wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Why would Clowney's agents not want him to visit Detroit? The team pays for it. Why not visit as many teams as possible. The lions don't have to prove anything. Just picks alone we have plenty to get Clowney if we want to spend it. We are doing our due diligence just as he and his agents are. If a team invites you, you go.


This late in the process? I would agree if it was three weeks ago but now there would have to be some evidence of a teams ability to go up and get your guy. There is no way he falls to #10. But this wasn't just about Clowney, it's about getting one of the top three players in this draft.
Never forget this is a salary cap league and we can't just keep kicking every can down the road to be dealt with later.
I love Suh on this team but you can't pay him like he wants/deserves and remain competitive over the long haul, IMO.
The last of the draft lottery winners has gotten to expensive for complete team viability. He is a stud and will be for the foreseeable future but painful decisions have to be made sometimes.
Not saying I want it, but it would not shock me.


I don't disagree about Suh, but as I said every team has the ability to come up. Either with picks or players. If a team wants that player so bad to go get him, of course you go visit. Who cares when in the process it is. He doesn't have anything else going on so when a team wants you to visit, you visit. They don't have to show him anything or say we are willing to deal Suh to get him here. If he doesn't come to a visit it likely hurts his stock some. Even if it's a one pick drop he loses a bunch of money. And a guy with the possibility of having work ethic and determination questions better not skip out on teams.


Agreed. We could move up with just our picks, but this draft seems to be deep at our positions of need. If we could "replace" Suh with a cheaper model and retain our picks in this draft it would really help us in the long run. I'm not an advocate of using picks to move up in this years draft at all. I was just saying Clowney coming in this late is curious at least.
_________________
Really? It IS possible to build a team through the draft? Who knew?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hardlion


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 302
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Suh/#10 bait for trade up? Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
hardlion wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
hardlion wrote:
What do you think Clowney was in town for? No way his agents let him visit Detroit w/o some proof of Lions ability to move up and get him. IMO the front office is getting a little tired of Suh's act and his cap hit over the next two years is about $48 mil if they have to franchise him in 2015. Send him and #10 to Jax and assure the Lions a stud(Clowney, Watkins, Mack) and get some cap relief. Not my first choice but if Suh is showing signs of not wanting to be here long term it's time to make a deal that lands us top quality talent at a more cap friendly number. Just a thought.


If the Lions trade Suh, an all-pro, AND their top pick for a draft pick, they ought to be fired on the spot. That's terrible value.


Really? $22 mil cap hit this year! $26 mil next year if forced to franchise him. Or let him walk for nothing. That's not even a tough decision.
"If forced"? They could use the transition tag, which IIRC signs him to a smaller contract and also gives them the option to match any contract he signs.


How'd that work out for Cleveland? Highest paid C in football. Greeeaaaat!
_________________
Really? It IS possible to build a team through the draft? Who knew?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group