Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is our Secondary REALLY that bad or ????
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayhem50

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Is our Secondary REALLY that bad or ???? Reply with quote

Everyone is clamoring to get better secondary talent, but is the talent we have not the problem or more so how they are coached? I look at Seattle's secondary and how well they played, all but one were drafted in the 5th & 6th rounds. I don't believe every team missed these players potential or that Seattle played possum for 4 to 5 rounds to steal talent. They picked these guys like everyone else as a work in progress. I believe it was good coaching that brought that kind of play out of them. The lions have young talent, but have they been coached properly. I still believe with the right coaching & scheme this secondary may be a lot better than we know.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Slay and Greenwood have great potential, Bentley decent potential for the slot. Mathis and Houston are serviceable stopgaps for the time being, so we can get by if Slay and/or Greenwood are still behind in their development. I want to see what Austin can do with these guys before we write them off.

However, we need Slay and Greenwood to develop to be our CB's of the future. If they don't, you might see us drafting another CB in the next year or two.

A lot of uncertainty about this unit right now.

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
DrRay11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think safety is worse off, personally. Need to add a guy at both spots, though, I think. Kill two birds with one stone by moving Green to safety if Austin sees the fit.
Mayhem50

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read about Austin, he maybe a key element to this coaching staff. My gut feeling tells me this group of coaches is what this team needed. I don't believe that other teams are going to see us so predictable this season. Don't be surprised if individual players step up in production. We tend to sit here and debate talented players & picks, but not enough at holding every coach to a high standard to develop these players! We wait until bad games are over to comment on coaching. There are teams out there building winners with a few 1st & 2nd round players. It's their coaches who prepare the par player to preform at a higher level or put them into situations they can control. Let's give this coaching staff a chance and then see how many holes we really have.
d_stanton2lions

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhem50 wrote:
From what I've read about Austin, he maybe a key element to this coaching staff. My gut feeling tells me this group of coaches is what this team needed. I don't believe that other teams are going to see us so predictable this season. Don't be surprised if individual players step up in production. We tend to sit here and debate talented players & picks, but not enough at holding every coach to a high standard to develop these players! We wait until bad games are over to comment on coaching. There are teams out there building winners with a few 1st & 2nd round players. It's their coaches who prepare the par player to preform at a higher level or put them into situations they can control. Let's give this coaching staff a chance and then see how many holes we really have.

I agree, our team doesn't lack talent compared to the rest of the league, we lack good coaching and have for a while. Developing talent and coaching players us is just as important as drafting them
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lack an effective pass rush which exacerbates our secondary play!
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's horrid. Too many CB projects over last few years

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit's secondary is bad.

Potential has nothing to do with current playing level and over the past number of seasons the level of play has been less than successful.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

Or, too many young players. It often takes time for players to develop at the position. We've got young upside, and that upside may prove to provide a solution in the future.

Team Stylish
Maverick12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Or, too many young players. It often takes time for players to develop at the position. We've got young upside, and that upside may prove to provide a solution in the future.

That's a really optimistic statement. Outside of Slay, I find little upside in our secondary.

Team Stylish
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I have to allow the board a quick laugh on my expense for nearly getting irate questioning why the hell I was banned after multiple log in attempts saying "you have specified an inactive username or incorrect password" before finally realizing that somehow my caps lock was turned on Very Happy

Now on topic, I sort of agree and sort of don't...I do agree that some of these guys have a lot of talent but I don't feel that we've seen enough to think this is the year they develop and show it...think it will probably be more like 2015 that we'll start to be able to call any of them "solid".

BUT at the same time with the traditional learning curve at the CB position and the fact that IMO while the CB position has decent depth in this draft I don't think the top tier guys are particularly great compared to other drafts, I'd rather not take a CB at 10 (same for S with HaHa and Pryor IMO not being top 10 guys).

It's another reason I want (and I'm sure some of you are sick of hearing it by now) Donald at 10 assuming he's there. I think we need the defensive help more than offense but due to the reasons above I think improving the pass rush by adding Donald and giving us elite pass rushing talent across all 4 spots on the line would help the team more than any of the DBs that are considered first round guys in this draft. That added to the uncertainty of both Suh and Fairley for the future and Donald's ability to play DT or DE to me gives him the highest value to the Lions of anyone.

I'd be okay with Barr as well because like Donald I think he'd help the D more than any of the DBs...but between the two I see no logical reason to take Barr over Donald.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverick12 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

That's a really optimistic statement. Outside of Slay, I find little upside in our secondary.

Bentley and Greenwood both have significant upside.

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverick12 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Slay is only one with upside

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Maverick12 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

So we ought to quit on Bentley, Greenwood, and Green? They have no upside?
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Maverick12 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

So we ought to quit on Bentley, Greenwood, and Green? They have no upside?

They could all be upgraded easy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: