Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trading the first rounder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Trading the first rounder? Reply with quote

We all saw the Eric Berry rumors that were clearly not the truth. But it got me thinking about the idea. In every mock I look at, I don't seem to like the player given to us but I also don't always see a great alternative. How many of you would be willing to trade the pick for future picks or for a player who might become available( obviously harder to predict, and more unlikely). Or are do we need to make a selection at 20 to try and help us compete within our division.

sig made by mike23md
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's important that we add impact players in this draft. If we can do that by trading down and acquiring more picks then I'm all for it. But this team is playoff caliber and ready to win now. Always have to keep the future in mind, but adding talented players right now is going to help us compete in 2014.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With how we have a veteran QB in what will likely be his last year with the team to most likely move on to either a rookie or Drew Stanton, this is a big year for us to win. This is a win now year. I would be open to trading back but that's because there is a lot of 3rd round talent in this draft. I would not trade for any future picks because that's would be hurting the present

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give up 2015 2nd to Cleveland, SF or Minny for their 2 thirds this year

Go for broke in this deep draft
JLW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
I think it's important that we add impact players in this draft. If we can do that by trading down and acquiring more picks then I'm all for it. But this team is playoff caliber and ready to win now. Always have to keep the future in mind, but adding talented players right now is going to help us compete in 2014.

Why? This isn't an aging team that needs to win now.

Core pieces currently on this team (and their age):
Larry Fitzgerald (30)
Calais Campbell (27)
Jared Veldheer (26)
Daryl Washington (27)
Patrick Peterson (23)
Jonathan Cooper (24)
Michael Floyd (24)
Tyrann Mathieu (21)
Andre Ellington (25)

The only aging players we have who actually matter are Carson, Dockett, Abraham, and maybe Cromartie if you want to count him.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue that our impact or above average player numbers are less than Seattle and SF

We need to get another 4 - 6 players to win the division

Losing Dansby hurts, adding Cro helps, but only short term
mtdowner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLW wrote:
mtdowner wrote:

Why? This isn't an aging team that needs to win now.

Core pieces currently on this team (and their age):
Larry Fitzgerald (30)
Calais Campbell (27)
Jared Veldheer (26)
Daryl Washington (27)
Patrick Peterson (23)
Jonathan Cooper (24)
Michael Floyd (24)
Tyrann Mathieu (21)
Andre Ellington (25)

The only aging players we have who actually matter are Carson, Dockett, Abraham, and maybe Cromartie if you want to count him.

Because sustainable success is far from guaranteed and when you have a chance to make a playoff caliber team even more competitive you do it.

This is a team that is very good and is a few pieces away from being great. Don't know why you would want to wait to add those pieces when you can do it now.
JLW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So because sustainable success isn't guaranteed you suddenly stop striving for it as soon as the team gets relatively good? Reaching for instant impact is a great way to ensure you don't have sustained success.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, why we may not be able to sustain success is because of one man. Carson Palmer. This will likely be his last year with the team and rookie QBs are rarely a guarantee. That's why we are in win now mode

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLW wrote:
So because sustainable success isn't guaranteed you suddenly stop striving for it as soon as the team gets relatively good? Reaching for instant impact is a great way to ensure you don't have sustained success.

I never said we should abandon our future and commit to Super Bowl or bust. But this is a win now league. There's no guarantees and no man's job is safe. When you're on the cusp of being a great team, why wouldn't you do what it takes to add the impact players necessary to get there? Who know what 2015 and beyond holds for us.

That doesn't mean we only add day 1 starters. I'm fully on board taking Bridgewater in round 1. And having a top QB is probably the most important factor in sustaining success. But it would be a disappointment if we didn't make our team better after the draft and we failed to make the playoffs again in 2014.

The Cardinals were really bad for a long time and then they were really good for a 2-3 year period, and then guess what? They were bad again. Right now we're looking like a really good team again.

But if I have the option of taking a player right now who I know is going to make an immediate impact vs a player who might be better 2-3 years down the road, I'm taking the former because I don't know what the future looks like.

Fitz is cut, Campbell's play declines, Palmer retires, PP21 signs with another team, DWash goes to jail etc. All things that the future could have in store for us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: