Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How many holes do we really have?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: How many holes do we really have? Reply with quote

I was thinking about how our roster looks now, and I don't see very many holes... and honestly no glaring holes beyond #3 WR (assuming Broyles is done). CB's will improve and Ihedibo is a decent stopgap.

I hear quite a few posters talk about how we need more picks because we have so many holes, I don't see how someone could think that. We could use a couple upgrades, but not to the degree that we can't afford to move up.

QB- Whether or not you like Stafford, he is our QBOTF
RB- Set for the foreseeable future
WR- We could use a decent #3 WR, arguably our biggest need
OL- We could use an upgrade at LG, and we don't know how Waddle will pan out after a good rookie season, and we need a replacement for Raiola, but I am comfortable with our OL and wouldn't consider it to be a weakness
TE- We have serviceable TE's. Could afford to pick up a nice pass catching threat, but I wouldn't call it a "hole." An average unit

DT- Varying opinions of Fairley, and we need to still extend Suh, but as of next year this is a strength
DE- After Ansah, Jones is serviceable and Taylor has some upside. Not a hole, but could be improved.
LB- After Levy and Tulloch, we don't have much. However, that 3rd LB is probably the least important position on D. Palmer isn't terrible, either, and gets taken off the field on 3rd downs. It's a hole, but not necessarily a glaring "need" due to the position not being very impactful.
CB- No matter what you think of our CB's, I don't think we are going to draft ANOTHER CB in the draft. Both CB positions are a weakness, however both CB positions can be filled by players already on the roster. Whether we like it or not, I think we should expect a learning curve with this group instead of drafting the "answer." (Historically speaking anyways, the CB position takes time to develop)
S- After Quin, Ihedibo is a stopgap. I'd put this in "hole" territory.

a #3 WR and maybe 1 or 2 CB's and S are our only glaring holes right now. LB, TE and DE aren't "holes" persay, but we could use upgrades. C and maybe LG will be needed soon, especially C but we will be fine next year. I don't see how someone can say we have all these holes that need filled.

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
amaru0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this post wholeheartedly. That's why I'm all for moving up for Watkins. I personally think Broyles can and will come back, but I just envision how dangerous he'd be as a #4 in a spread offense. I also think our CBs are young and still have upside, and that Chris Houston is better than he looked last season.

If we add another WR, our offense is set and under contract for a few years. Our defense has depth issues, but is not as bad as people make it out to be. If we want to win now, I see no position that upgrades us as significantly and immediately as that 2/3 WR spot.
Calvin-Stafford

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem, way I see it, is depth. Other than Ihedigbo (SS), Palmer (LOLB), Pettigrew (TE) and Durham (3 WR), I don't really have a problem with a lot of the starters. But depth is a serious issue across the board. If Warford, for example, got injured, who's the next guy up? Leroy Harris? If Levy gets injured, are you comfortable with Whitehead being a serious starter? Especially at linebacker, wide receiver, tight end, and offensive line, depth is a problem. So if you look at the bench as "holes", there are a lot of holes.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
I agree with this post wholeheartedly. That's why I'm all for moving up for Watkins. I personally think Broyles can and will come back, but I just envision how dangerous he'd be as a #4 in a spread offense. I also think our CBs are young and still have upside, and that Chris Houston is better than he looked last season.

If we add another WR, our offense is set and under contract for a few years. Our defense has depth issues, but is not as bad as people make it out to be. If we want to win now, I see no position that upgrades us as significantly and immediately as that 2/3 WR spot.

I think Mack would make the most sense if we played him at OLB the first two downs and DE in the Nickel. Two birds one stone. Watkins would be a great addition as well.

I don't see how picking someone at 10 and another at 45 would yield a better overall impact... although a case could be made for Barr/Matthews but I think at the end of the day the management is looking for top-tier talent to make us better. Mack <<< Barr for our defense anyways. I don't think Barr would do well as an OLB in a 4-3.

IDOG_det wrote:

SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin-Stafford wrote:
The main problem, way I see it, is depth. Other than Ihedigbo (SS), Palmer (LOLB), Pettigrew (TE) and Durham (3 WR), I don't really have a problem with a lot of the starters. But depth is a serious issue across the board. If Warford, for example, got injured, who's the next guy up? Leroy Harris? If Levy gets injured, are you comfortable with Whitehead being a serious starter? Especially at linebacker, wide receiver, tight end, and offensive line, depth is a problem. So if you look at the bench as "holes", there are a lot of holes.

Good points. We do have 2 extra 4th round picks to fill out our depth though, which makes our other picks a little more expendable if we want to move up.

IDOG_det wrote:

1King

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs, by tier, no order within tiers:

Immediate Needs (I.E. Need (an upgrade) a starter at the given position)

K
#1 CB
#3 WR
OLB/Rush LB

Near Future Needs (I.E. Need to a guy to provide depth initially, but capable of developing into a starter within a year or two)

C
LG
S (can be SS or FS)

Possible Near Future Needs (Depends on what happens with guys currently on roster, development, free agency)

OT
#2 DT
Rotational DE
TE

Depth Needs (I.E. Not a pressing issue, but could be upgraded/taken if value is too good)

#2 QB
Nickel CB
Rotational DE
#2 MLB
#3 DT

Think I covered all the potential areas of need.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB
WR
OLB
De
C
TE
K

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR
S
C
DE
K
LB
detroitroar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holes and needs are 2 different things.

And the OP is right.

In 2009, our roster was filled with holes.

It has been getting better and better since then because Mayhew is doing a great job.

Back then guys we let go were promptly out of the league; thats not the case anymore.

Theres no more Bryant Johnsons', Jonathan Wades, Stephen Petermans, guys who have no business starting, being depended on to do so.

amaru0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:

And the OP is right.

It has been getting better and better since then because Mayhew is doing a great job.

Back then guys we let go were promptly out of the league; thats not the case anymore.

Theres no more Bryant Johnsons', Jonathan Wades, Stephen Petermans, guys who have no business starting, being depended on to do so.

Please never mention Peterman's name again. For several years I was convinced the front office was keeping him around just as a joke to tick me off.... I don't know how he even made a college team, let alone held down an NFL starting job for that long.
bigc421

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:

And the OP is right.

So true, perfect example is Rob. Sims. Back then a guy who was arguable considered our most reliable lineman is not on the short list of guys looking to replace.
Calvin-Stafford

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigc421 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

And the OP is right.

So true, perfect example is Rob. Sims. Back then a guy who was arguable considered our most reliable lineman is not on the short list of guys looking to replace.

This is why I have no idea why some people want to fire Mayhew. He's missed on a few, but he's also scored big on a few prospects. He's not a bad GM IMO.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin-Stafford wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

And the OP is right.

This is why I have no idea why some people want to fire Mayhew. He's missed on a few, but he's also scored big on a few prospects. He's not a bad GM IMO.

I think people use him as a scapegoat. I think in a few years he will be regarded as one of the best in the game.

IDOG_det wrote:

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin-Stafford wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

And the OP is right.

Because he didn't build the team the way they wanted. Some fans think they know better than the professionals who actually do this for a living. Remember people wanting us to draft Aaron Curry #1 overall? How about moving down in that draft for Sanchez or Freeman? They are both now backups in the NFC East. I remember DeAndre Levy being a polarizing pick as well.
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
Calvin-Stafford wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

And the OP is right.

Because he didn't build the team the way they wanted. Some fans think they know better than the professionals who actually do this for a living. Remember people wanting us to draft Aaron Curry #1 overall? How about moving down in that draft for Sanchez or Freeman? They are both now backups in the NFC East. I remember DeAndre Levy being a polarizing pick as well.

Lets not pretend he hasnt had his misses either.

Moving up for Best with his concussion issues, his wide receiver woes, 2nd round picks sucking and basically getting nothing out of the whole 2011 draft class.

Yes he is a good GM and lets hope he continues to do well but he has had many misses as well.
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: