Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Running Back situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Don't a lot of thread titles seem perfect for a poll yet lack one?
Red
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

GregorSamsa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Running Back situation Reply with quote

I would like BJGE off of the team. I was displeased with his play all of last year except towards the end of the season when he seemed to step it up a bit. I do not see him getting any better. I feel so strongly about this that it almost feels irrational, but I have an irrational affinity to connections people or things may have to Indiana so those cancel each other out and means I am justified in my feeling. I was just looking at ESPN's stats and he was 41 out of the 48 running backs they thought were worth mentioning in rushing average at 3.4. I don't see how that production cannot be replaced easily (I wanted Peyton Hillis midseason). If part of his value comes from pass protection we could spend what we pay him on a top fullback and maybe have a similar average.

Long story short, he needs to go. He seems like a very nice man, but so does Tom Hanks and I do not want him as a running back either. Does anyone have an argument for keeping him or signing Tom Hanks?

GregorSamsa wrote:
Yes, yes I will quote myself
GregorSamsa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would we replace BJGE? Bernard needs a counterpart.

Is the replacement already on the team? If he has not been able to take the job yet, does that indicate that Peerman will never be the answer? Will Burkhead answer the call with his healed up hammy? Does anyone know how either of them are at pass protection?

Do we look to the draft? Even before the death of the NFL running back I felt a good to great back could be found in the middle rounds. There have been numerous all-stars this past decade that were drafted in the 4th round or after, I am too lazy to name any of them except RUDI! So with the devaluing of the position it should be even easier to pick up a back there. Not to mention we already have lightning and thunder is easier to pick with success. Two that I like if they were available in the 5th Andre Williams and Terrance West (also might consider that freak from Oregon but he does not fill the same need and that is a separate discussion). Does anyone have an opinion on them? Admittedly I do most of my scouting reading rather than watching, but I seem to do better than I should (especially when I only remember the successes). There are other backs I like that will go higher but as I said you can draft NFL starters (a la 6 years ago) in the mid rounds and to use a high pick seems a waste of resources, Kenny Irons. Hall of fame backs tend to go high but the second tier can be found anywhere in the draft or after, Arian Foster.

Will we pick up one that is cut by another team after the draft? It is clear we will not sign a running back with a name yet due to price or effect on compensatory picks. After the draft will the supply meet our demand?

GregorSamsa wrote:
Yes, yes I will quote myself
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest FA blunder IMO was not offering Toby Gerhart a contract. I don't know if he would have accepted, but a one-two punch between him and Bernard would have been devastating.

As for how to get him off the team now? Wait till next year and let his contract run out. Unfortunately he's not going anywhere. The only good news is that i don't see the team bringing him back after he inevitably runs for 3.5 YPC again.

If i had my way, i'd look for a back in rounds 2-4 to replace him.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think BJGE is a lock to make the roster. If we draft a RB before round 5, he'd replace Law Firm. If we take one late, he might be fighting Peerman and Burkhead. Like you guys I'd feel better about our RB situation if we had someone better than BJGE to complement Gio. Another name to keep in mind is Tyler Gaffney. He's a banger without a lot of mileage.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
The biggest FA blunder IMO was not offering Toby Gerhart a contract. I don't know if he would have accepted, but a one-two punch between him and Bernard would have been devastating.

As for how to get him off the team now? Wait till next year and let his contract run out. Unfortunately he's not going anywhere. The only good news is that i don't see the team bringing him back after he inevitably runs for 3.5 YPC again.

If i had my way, i'd look for a back in rounds 2-4 to replace him.

Exactly. If Hyde fell to #55, I'd consider it based on who else is still there and what we did at #24
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like signing Tom Hanks. But I honestly think we can replace BJGE pretty easily in the 6th or 7th rd.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:
I like signing Tom Hanks. But I honestly think we can replace BJGE pretty easily in the 6th or 7th rd.

Agreed. No position in the NFL has a shorter shelf life than RB. The NFL is littered with successful RBs who went in the 5th-7th round (or undrafted), so considering Gio will be the guy going forward, I sincerely hope this team doesn't waste a mid-round pick on a complimentary power back.

Draft one late if you must... but go for value at other positions in the earlier/mid rounds.

A guy like Gaffney in the 6th round would likely be a solid choice. I don't believe RB is a problem, personally.

And Forrest Gump... kid is stupid, but he sure is fast!
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprises me more is that the Bengals haven't made a move to consider bringing a real FB on the team. They say they want to commit to the run, but have done nothing to to improve the team in that area.

Right now both Green Ellis and Bernard appear to be locks on the roster no matter what. Even if Green Ellis isn't very good, the Bengals don't have any other options. Peerman and Burkhead will be on the bubble. Peerman's only future is on special teams, but Burkhead could still turn into something special. Maybe they seem something in him.
BathBengal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Law firm could be useful next year, he did have a few good games but it was the fact he was the main back rather than Gio. Using him a bit more sparingly for the short yardage situations and when Gio needs a bit of a rest. I'm sure we're thinking about a late round back as well.

Are there any good full backs about though really? It's such an under utilised position in the NFL and in college that maybe we want to use Eifert there a little bit like he did last year and send him in motion all over the place. I'm sure we'll pick up an UDFA at full back to see if it works.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BathBengal wrote:
Are there any good full backs about though really?

Check out JC Copeland, LSU.

A 270 lb wrecking ball who just plain runs over people.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
What surprises me more is that the Bengals haven't made a move to consider bringing a real FB on the team. They say they want to commit to the run, but have done nothing to to improve the team in that area.

Right now both Green Ellis and Bernard appear to be locks on the roster no matter what. Even if Green Ellis isn't very good, the Bengals don't have any other options. Peerman and Burkhead will be on the bubble. Peerman's only future is on special teams, but Burkhead could still turn into something special. Maybe they seem something in him.

Don't think anyone is a roster 'lock' right now.

Hue Jackson has publically said everyone starts fresh with him. He's committed to running it better, and given BJGE's poor YPC, Jackson will want to improve things........
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

Don't think anyone is a roster 'lock' right now.

Hue Jackson has publically said everyone starts fresh with him. He's committed to running it better, and given BJGE's poor YPC, Jackson will want to improve things........

Come on now, we all know Bernard is a lock so don't use that whole "nobody is safe" motto. There is a huge lack of depth at RB right now, and getting rid of Green Ellis would be a huge mistake. Even Bernard still has to make progress on handling a huge workload.

There isn't anybody to sign at RB right now, and if they were they would of done it by now. Michael Bush would be the only guy that makes sense because he did play under Hue. The chances they add a rookie RB somewhere in the late rounds are pretty good, but even someone there isn't a lock either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: