Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jadeveon Clowney visits the Lions. Smokescreen?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mayhem50


Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 91
Location: Beverly Hills, Mi.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Jadeveon Clowney visits the Lions. Smokescreen? Reply with quote

Researching all of their options for the 2014 draft, the Lions hosted former South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney on a pre-draft visit Wednesday, the team announced.
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140416/SPORTS0101/304160098#ixzz2z6mRhND1

Smoke screen or possible real move. I like the idea of moving up to grab a guy who will make an impact right out of the gate and give the Lions a defensive line that would be feared throughout the league. This would be a great pick, but the cost maybe deadly. Do we pull the trigger and at what cost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 50399
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only guy in draft worth trading up for I wouldn't do it but wouldn't hate it. Would be ticked if they trade up for anyone else
_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amaru0


Joined: 24 Dec 2004
Posts: 2620
Location: Baltimore
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade up for an athletic freak who disappeared his senior year, has no work ethic, and refuses to work out for teams that want to throw money at him? What could possibly go wrong???

If he's available at 10 maybe worth the risk, but I would lose my mind if they traded up for him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DetroitPride26


Joined: 25 Nov 2011
Posts: 1595
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
Trade up for an athletic freak who disappeared his senior year, has no work ethic, and refuses to work out for teams that want to throw money at him? What could possibly go wrong???

If he's available at 10 maybe worth the risk, but I would lose my mind if they traded up for him.


Maybe at 10?? lmao you lost all credibility for everything you say lmfao...
_________________
Lions 2014: To A Better Year!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1King


Moderator
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 34981
Location: daboyle250 on the sig.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
Trade up for an athletic freak who disappeared his senior year, has no work ethic, and refuses to work out for teams that want to throw money at him? What could possibly go wrong???

If he's available at 10 maybe worth the risk, but I would lose my mind if they traded up for him.


Yeah, he disappeared his senior year, because he didn't and wont have one, he'll be in the NFL.

Wink
_________________


El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.


candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome


TEAM STYLISH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1073
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he screams prima donna, I would love to have his skillset but there is a high probability IMO that he will be a headache and the media are already putting us under the microscope. Also, we wouldn't be able to afford our DL... although they would be scary if we were able to somehow afford it

I think the Lions are doing their due diligence. Or maybe they have a tentative deal with the Rams? Or maybe it's a smokescreen? Who knows... I'd be willing to bet that we are at least going to attempt to trade up.
_________________
detfan782004 wrote:

Cruz is one of best WR in the game


detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.


wut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 26061
Location: #JDI
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
Trade up for an athletic freak who disappeared his senior year, has no work ethic, and refuses to work out for teams that want to throw money at him? What could possibly go wrong???

If he's available at 10 maybe worth the risk, but I would lose my mind if they traded up for him.
Laughing

He "disappeared" his "senior" year because he stayed at RE nearly every snap and other teams just schemed for him. That's actually something that was fairly easy to see. Saying he has "no work ethic" is a clear exaggeration, but there are real concerns about his attitude off the field. I also don't see the big deal with him choosing to sit out of workouts. They do pretty much nothing for him but they can seriously hurt him. Aaron Colvin had 2nd/3rd round talk before he tore his ACL, now he gets 6th/7th/UDFA talk. Brandon Thomas was gaining the attention he deserved but will now likely have to sit out his rookie year because of a torn ACL which hurts him A LOT as a prospect.


Clowney is a huge talent at the most impactful unit/position outside of QB
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sllim Pickens


Moderator
Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 19326
Location: Middle of the Mitten
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
he screams prima donna, I would love to have his skillset but there is a high probability IMO that he will be a headache and the media are already putting us under the microscope. Also, we wouldn't be able to afford our DL... although they would be scary if we were able to somehow afford it

I think the Lions are doing their due diligence. Or maybe they have a tentative deal with the Rams? Or maybe it's a smokescreen? Who knows... I'd be willing to bet that we are at least going to attempt to trade up.


How does he scream prima Donna? Spurrier expected him to stay in Florida after the bowl game and enjoy the pre draft life but he wanted to fly home and be with his teammates. He was a monster this year, just not on the stat sheet. Any one player that takes three offensive players to negate is winning. I would love to trade up for him.
_________________


Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
nic_diggler


Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 415
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could drop. Not saying he is Fairley, but Fairley dropped to us after being mocked number one. Dropped because of his work ethic I believe. Imagine if.


Ansah Suh Fairley Clowney in no particular order and shuffled around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amaru0


Joined: 24 Dec 2004
Posts: 2620
Location: Baltimore
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
amaru0 wrote:
Trade up for an athletic freak who disappeared his senior year, has no work ethic, and refuses to work out for teams that want to throw money at him? What could possibly go wrong???

If he's available at 10 maybe worth the risk, but I would lose my mind if they traded up for him.


Yeah, he disappeared his senior year, because he didn't and wont have one, he'll be in the NFL.

Wink


Well played, sir. It took me 12 years to get my Bachelor's, you'll have to confuse my lack of understanding when it comes to the traditional years of schooling....

But I stand by my point. Great players are schemed against and still find a way to make plays. He didn't. Watch the tape and see a guy who will kill you if you blow an assignment because of his athletic ability, but looks much more pedestrian against a good tackle. He doesn't get his hands on many passes at the line either, most of his deflections were horribly thrown balls that hit him in the helmet or chest. There isn't much technique in his game, just reliance on his freakish speed and power, which won't work in the NFL (at least not as regularly). If he can be coached, he has the tools and abilities to be great, but that is a serious question mark (and I'll grant that I don't know him and base that on character flaw hearsay from the experts). As for the refusing workouts to avoid injury, what happens in a contract year? Will he take it easy to avoid missing out on a lucrative free agency? If you're afraid to run a basic drill for a coach because of the chance of a freak injury, I question your commitment to the game. I've never heard a great player say they didn't want to practice because it might hurt.

As for the reason I would still take the chance on him at 10 despite my reservations, I think Detroit is a place where he has an excellent chance to succeed. Stepping into a position where the rest of the line cannot be ignored will make any end better and mask his weaknesses until he can develop a more complete arsenal of moves. I think a guy like Suh would also be a very positive impact by the way he successfully balances his marketing and personal concerns with his professional demeanor and work ethic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1073
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
he screams prima donna, I would love to have his skillset but there is a high probability IMO that he will be a headache and the media are already putting us under the microscope. Also, we wouldn't be able to afford our DL... although they would be scary if we were able to somehow afford it

I think the Lions are doing their due diligence. Or maybe they have a tentative deal with the Rams? Or maybe it's a smokescreen? Who knows... I'd be willing to bet that we are at least going to attempt to trade up.


How does he scream prima Donna? Spurrier expected him to stay in Florida after the bowl game and enjoy the pre draft life but he wanted to fly home and be with his teammates. He was a monster this year, just not on the stat sheet. Any one player that takes three offensive players to negate is winning. I would love to trade up for him.

Yeah, I am not worried about his "lack of production" this year. Like Suh, his impact doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. I just don't like that he's skipping out on workouts, has off the field problems, ect. I usually don't care about off the field stuff because it typically doesn't affect the product on the field, but I'm tired of seeing the Lions and Suh especially put under the microscope, and I think Clowney will exacerbate that.

Also, we won't be able to pay him and Ansah when their contracts are up. Then again, I don't necessarily think we should avoid him for that reason... win now right? I don't know, seems like too many resources spent on our DL. On the other hand though, that's the best place to spend it. As I'm typing this I'm warming up to the idea of trading up for him haha, but I'm still not a fan of the off field issues... but at the end of the day Mayhew has earned my trust and I have to assume he did his due diligence in the interviews. If we select him I would be excited to see how insane our DL would be in the near future.

You guys think it's possible we have a tentative deal with the Rams? What would you give up for their pick? I am not crazy about giving up our 2nd pick, which it would probably take. I'd give our 1st, 3rd, 4th and a 2nd next year, but according to the TVC that would be ~1900, 400 points away from their #2 pick. I'm not confident the Rams would do that, although stranger things have happened!

Depends on who they're targeting I suppose. They don't really have room for Clowney, so that makes their pick more expendable.
_________________
detfan782004 wrote:

Cruz is one of best WR in the game


detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.


wut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1073
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good watch that talks about some of Clowney's downside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbQbpupdZJA

I know this is in the minority, but it is interesting.
_________________
detfan782004 wrote:

Cruz is one of best WR in the game


detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.


wut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rockcity


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 1315
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they sure seem like they already have a trade partner..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Louis Friend


Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 8458
Location: San Marcos, Nicaragua
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
they sure seem like they already have a trade partner..


That's the biggest thing I've gotten from this. I think the Lions want to trade up, obviously not #1 overall, but feel they may be in position for either Clowney or Watkins and want to do their homework.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RIP CITY


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 711
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they don't trade up. I don't like the idea of giving up a 2nd Rounder in this Draft, there will be so many talented guys left at #45. This team isn't one player away from contending, they should keep the Picks and assemble the best team possible. Or even trade down to acquire more Picks in a Draft like this. If they do trade up, I think Clowney is the only player worth doing it for, but I'm still not really in favor of it. It will take an arm and leg to trade for up for #2, I just don't think it's worth it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group