You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Brewster - Starting Center?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see Brewster as the Starting Center?
Yes! Mikey for Starting Center 2014!!!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe. Bring in more competition with a mid or late pick.
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
No! Draft a Center who can step right in and take over.
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Tugboat

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Mike Brewster - Starting Center? Reply with quote

I'm sure most here caught the articles on the Jaguars site about Mikey Brewster. But amidst all of this draft insanity, i thought it was an interesting thing to come across considering the talk around here of spending a potential high pick on a Center. Something a bit different to discuss than the neurotic hand wringing and constant rehashing of the #3 pick debate at least.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/2014-offseason-Brewster-confident-ready/9374b96b-fc12-4525-92e3-dad5fda390b7

Quote:
“In my mind, it’s do or die,” Brewster said.

Quote:
“There’s no doubt in my mind I’ll get it done,” Brewster said. “There’s no doubt in my mind as far as, ‘Can I do this?’ It’s exciting. I think a lot of people will be surprised when they get a chance to see me play full-time center.”

Quote:
“It’s not something where you can just be playing center and just hop over to guard and be comfortable,” Brewster said. “They’re two completely different things. At center, you’re more in a phone booth. I like to be up close. I like to take advantage of my quickness.

“Center is what I’ve been working on for years. It’s what I’ve been waiting to get back to.”

Certainly sounds confident, and it sounds like the staff may actually be legitimately high on the guy as our potential full time center this year; more than just lip service.

He makes a fair point, as has been mentioned around here before, in that he's a natural center and may end up surprising us there. Especially if he has really improved his strength and power which seemed to be a major problem for him when he's filled in at guard in particular. And he certainly was a very highly touted Center prospect at one point in time not too long ago.

How do ya'll feel about this? Think he has a legitimate shot at the job? Do you expect him to win the job? Would you be content with rolling into the season with him as the frontrunner for the spot, and maybe only a late round depth pick added at the Center position to compete? Would your level of contentedness with that scenario depend on whether or not we're bringing in a new rookie QB?
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will get a much better feel for this after the draft. If we take Richburg in round 2 or 3, I dont think Mikey has a shot. Love the fire, but he has to back it up

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try and remember how hard we went after Alex Mack.

I think Brewster could be a solid player, but probably not top 12 at his position.

This just leaves me with a few questions of my own.

Is this just a way to give confidence to a guy who was just being told that we are giving your job to an outsider (A. Mack)?

Was the entire chase after Alex Mack a way to get the Browns to pay him a ton of money and cause issues with their organization?

Does Brewster really have that hard work ethic (which makes a great C) to overcome what he lacks athletically, and become a good player?

Who will the Jaguars bring in to compete with him?

Who is Dave Caldwell? Really? Hmm?

DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jags wrote:

I think Brewster could be a solid player, but probably not top 12 at his position.

Is this just a way to give confidence to a guy who was just being told that we are giving your job to an outsider (A. Mack)?

Was the entire chase after Alex Mack a way to get the Browns to pay him a ton of money and cause issues with their organization?

Does Brewster really have that hard work ethic (which makes a great C) to overcome what he lacks athletically, and become a good player?

Makes you wonder. Cool

But really, those are the questions here. Is this just the staff pumping the tires of our only realistic potential "in house" option? Or are they truly prepared to let it ride with Mike Brewster as our starting Center come game 1? Because as much as rookies are hugely unpredictable...if you don't think Brewster can hack it, you draft someone to push/supplant him as the incumbent Starting Center.

It just has me really interesting in exactly how highly the Staff truly value Brewster. Looking at the draft right now...there aren't a huge number of Centers who i'd expect to start over Brewster. Is this contingency planning in case the draft falls a particular way and we can't get "our guy" at the position? Is it a valid contingency plan?
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jags wrote:

1. Probably, his confidence probably was rattled but after last year he should have known why we were doing it.

2. No team, especially a non-rival, is like that

3. Probably has a great work ethic and he can gain better technique which can ultimately make him better, but probably still outside the Top-15

4. Draft has a few guys, we'll find out shortly, if we take one after round 4 then we will see what Brewster can do

5. My father

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He certainly has the mindset to be this year's Pasztor.

Live like you're down 3-1
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

He is another one I'm wondering about. He obviously played better than Brewster at a position we have been desperately trying to fill since we first signed Pashos but you think we bring someone in, in round 4 or 5 to maybe push him some? as far as i know, our OT depth is pretty rough outside of Bradfield

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a chance, but I've yet to see anything that really blows me away. We did him a disservice playing him at guard. He's one of those guys who depending on the way the draft unfolds could be a bubble guy just to make the team.

Tugboat

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

He is another one I'm wondering about. He obviously played better than Brewster at a position we have been desperately trying to fill since we first signed Pashos but you think we bring someone in, in round 4 or 5 to maybe push him some? as far as i know, our OT depth is pretty rough outside of Bradfield

I think Pasztor has shown enough to have earned the benefit of the doubt though. He was generally pretty good there, and with that experience and another offseason of training under his belt i'm fairly comfortable projecting him to start at RT. Bringing in a guy later in the draft who can play RT wouldn't be a bad idea though...Bradfield was surprisingly good filling in at LT, but who knows if he can maintain that if he has to kick back over to RT should Pasztor regress or something.

They've all shown a heck of a lot more than Brewster though. But maybe he's shown really well in practice or something that i'm not privy to?
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

I think Pasztor has shown enough to have earned the benefit of the doubt though. He was generally pretty good there, and with that experience and another offseason of training under his belt i'm fairly comfortable projecting him to start at RT. Bringing in a guy later in the draft who can play RT wouldn't be a bad idea though...Bradfield was surprisingly good filling in at LT, but who knows if he can maintain that if he has to kick back over to RT should Pasztor regress or something.

They've all shown a heck of a lot more than Brewster though. But maybe he's shown really well in practice or something that i'm not privy to?

I would hope we can get someone who can swing RT or guard in the mid rounds, just gives us a little depth just in case something goes wrong with Pasztor/Bradfield

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: