Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eric Berry the new Glenn Dorsey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flexx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morkim wrote:
No way the Chiefs trade Berry. Really bad idea.

Extend this dude already.
While I agree on NOT trading Berry, I do somewhat understand the reporter's reasoning. Cap space and keeping "valuable players' for the future. However, I view Berry as "one of those" that this team keeps.
BTW, must say it; there is ALWAYS a way.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's have a look at the whole situation from a cap point of view.

at 130 M$ cap a team should be able to spend about a third on its top talent: about 40 - 45 M$.

The four top paid players (cap wise) right now:

Bowe - 12 M$
Berry - 11.6 M$
Hali - 11.4 M$
Flowers - 10.5 M$

That takes care of the top 33% of the cap.

Who of those four do you consider TOP TALENT if compared league wide?

Bad thing: Chiefs can't get out of the Bowe contract for the foreseeable future (one of the worst deals for a while, may top any Pioli deal, but that's a different story).

Here's two big ones coming up:

Alex Smith. Currently 8 M$. Considered way above average talent by Chiefs staff. Should command 15 M$ a year.

Justin Houston. The next one to bolt KC? 9-10 M$ a year minimum I guess.

Ooops .. and all of a sudden your top talent eats up about half of your cap?? Dallas anyone??

Folks, the FFMD I decision to trade Flowers (or Hali) was made for exactly that reason. The Chiefs will have to cut deep into the meat at some point. I just don't think it should be Berry.

Looking back I like the last offseason even less by the day.

But turning around the "community sense of failure" immediately may have contributed significantly.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:

at 130 M$ cap a team should be able to spend about a third on its top talent: about 40 - 45 M$.

Bowe - 12 M$
Berry - 11.6 M$
Hali - 11.4 M$
Flowers - 10.5 M$

Bad thing: Chiefs can't get out of the Bowe contract for the foreseeable future (one of the worst deals for a while, may top any Pioli deal, but that's a different story).

Alex Smith. Currently 8 M$. Considered way above average talent by Chiefs staff. Should command 15 M$ a year.

Ooops .. and all of a sudden your top talent eats up about half of your cap?? Dallas anyone??

Folks, the FFMD I decision to trade Flowers (or Hali) was made for exactly that reason. The Chiefs will have to cut deep into the meat at some point. I just don't think it should be Berry.

But turning around the "community sense of failure" immediately may have contributed significantly.

KC,
Very true. I am definitely with you on having an issue with last offseason. I am worried that Dorsey might end up proving to be out of his element. That Bowe contract is going to be a millstone around our salary cap. Hali and Flowers need to be traded now. Berry can be our franchise defensive cornerstone along with Houston and Poe.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard we can get out of the Bowe Deal during June 1st cuts next year.
samsel23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
I heard we can get out of the Bowe Deal during June 1st cuts next year.

We can actually get out if it this year with a June 1st Cut and still save money. Next year we wouldn't necessarily have to wait until June 1st.

Only problem is you actually have to have guys waiting to take his spot. The contract overpaid him, but he's 1 of 2 players on the entire offense a defense has to gameplan for.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:

Bowe - 12 M$
Berry - 11.6 M$
Hali - 11.4 M$
Flowers - 10.5 M$

Eric Berry is the best SS in the game for my money. Worth every penny.
RedandGold

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id trade him for st louis picks 2 and 13 but outside of that hes staying

WORST COACH IN KC HISTORY
Thanks for the sig Saintsfan
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From NFL.com....

Quote:
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport broke the news Monday that the Seahawks agreed to a blockbuster four-year contract extension worth $40 million with $27.725 guaranteed, per a source informed of the situation. The deal will make Thomas easily the highest-paid safety in the NFL.

I imagine Berry making right around that. I'm hoping less but I guess we'll see in a year or two.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:42/Yds:195/TD:1/YPC:4.6
Rec:9/Yds:43/TD:2
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny because Berry still has the most guaranteed money with 30m from his rookie deal. I think Berry's ballpark has been set at somewhere between Thomas money and Byrd money. Both of which are a lot of money, but the jump in salaries just goes to show you how valuable these players are.

There is a reason teams keep signing Ed Reed in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle one last time.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
It's funny because Berry still has the most guaranteed money with 30m from his rookie deal. I think Berry's ballpark has been set at somewhere between Thomas money and Byrd money. Both of which are a lot of money, but the jump in salaries just goes to show you how valuable these players are.

There is a reason teams keep signing Ed Reed in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle one last time.

The funny thing is that Reed (past tense at this point in his career), Byrd, and Thomas play the same type of role that Berry SHOULD be playing. The safeties that have the range and playmaking abilities to cover the back half are invaluable.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: