Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eric Berry the new Glenn Dorsey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Eric Berry the new Glenn Dorsey Reply with quote

So there are a lot of reports (opinions) out there, coming from people that think Berry could/should be traded before the draft to add valuable picks. And while I agree that Berry's contract is severely hampering our ability to be players on the FA market, I just can't get myself to wrap my brain around the thought behind trading him. So I thought we could talk it out here.

Pros of trading Berry

Gaining more picks, I've seen everything from a late first (I think Berry is better than Ha-Sean or Pryor, which would make him the best in this draft) to a second and a third combined.

Clearing an inflated pre-new CBA deal. Freeing up money for us to make an impact on the FA market.

Cons of trading Berry

Losing the leader and arguably the best player in our secondary.

Instantly having to use at least 1 of those picks gained on another safety, meaning in the most likely case we're trading Berry for either a second or a third and using the other pick in hopes that we get a pro-bowl caliber player and arguably a top 5 at his position.

Leaving our secondary with (most likely) Hussain Abdullah and Sanders Comming and or a rookie starting in some combination. Maybe another lower level veteran.

Let me know what you're all thinking, I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on the matter, just don't understand trading away one of our best players, honestly I'd rather have a rough season this year because we are cash strapped than trade Berry. His number goes down next year (to what will likely be fair market value or a little low on an extension).
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you new to the board, the Glenn Dorsey comparisson is that every year we had him, half the people in the known FFMD world seemed to come on here saying we needed to trade him.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that, don't believe it will happen. If you ask me about trading Flowers or Hali check the FFMD discussion - I'm all for it, even if it will garner less in return and probably clear less cap (didn't check the numbers though).
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
Saw that, don't believe it will happen. If you ask me about trading Flowers or Hali check the FFMD discussion - I'm all for it, even if it will garner less in return and probably clear less cap (didn't check the numbers though).

I agree with this. Definitely no to trading Berry for me. But Flowers or Hali I'd be open to.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:42/Yds:195/TD:1/YPC:4.6
Rec:9/Yds:43/TD:2
samsel23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading Flowers would actually make sense, Berry on the other hand would be idiotic. Outside corners in a Press Scheme are easy to find. Safeties have more responsibilities Iin our scheme and trading away our best one (who could be used in many ways) would have a HUGE impact on our D. Slot CB and Safety are the 2 critical spots in our Defensive Backfield. If trading Flowers upgrades 1 of those I'm all for it, but not Berry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Berry is the problem.

Do we play to win this year or next year? Because trading Berry is like throwing in the towel this year, imo.

Flowers and Hali can go, for picks easily.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val I agree. If we traded Berry we'd absolutely take a step back with our secondary this year, which impacts the pass rush which impacts our ability to win games.

To be truthful I don't think we'd even get a second and a third for Berry short of him renegotiating with whatever team, which we might as well do for ourselves.

The premise of trading Berry, to make cap room to re-sign Houston just doesn't compute to me. Also the basis for "in the box" safeties being easier to find is foolish in my opinion, because that is the position we ask Berry to play because he does it so well. Does anyone thing if we left Berry back deep he would suddenly become ineffective?
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
For those of you new to the board, the Glenn Dorsey comparisson is that every year we had him, half the people in the known FFMD world seemed to come on here saying we needed to trade him.

I'm not new and I haven't heard anything trade wise previous years or even this year til just now.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Chiefer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

I'm not new and I haven't heard anything trade wise previous years or even this year til just now.

Mellinger suggested it, I'm completely against it.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

Mellinger suggested it, I'm completely against it.

as we all suspected, the Indy loss was almost completely on Robinson and Lewis. With Flowers in the game playing slot CB, we gave up 3 points... Our D is going to be fantastic this year. Check out the breakdown on Arrowhead pride if you guys can stomach it, but it basically comes down to TY just abused Lewis and Robinson.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Habsawce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to strengthen the safety position on this team, not weaken it. Trading Berry would be idiotic IMO, especially since the team would then need a quality FS and SS. Wouldn't be the smartest game plan to play man on man press coverage with 2 average to below average safeties, imagine all the slants and TE out routes that would dink and dunk this team to death.

No thanks.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rage, I'm talking about Dorsey when I say it was every year, not Berry. I'm just saying this is a similar situation except even more extreme. People always talked about trading Dorsey for picks because he was a better fit in a 4-3. Now we have a guy saying we should trade Berry because of his contract, and because he's an in the box safety. Ignoring the fact that, that is how our D coordinator deploys him, not what he is limited too.
Morkim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way the Chiefs trade Berry. Really bad idea.

Extend this dude already.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What that dumb columnist didn't seem to grasp is that although we are faced with cap issues, the next 1-2 years we have some opportunities where we can cut certain guys or have them restructure. Another thing is Eric Berry fits the mold that every team in the NFL needs / wants. Young, fast, smart, athletic, good off the field. But other guys on the team don't necessarily fit those molds, and or the molds that Dorsey and Reid have in place (being a tall cornerback for starters). I strongly believe Hali will be asked to take a significant pay cut next year or he will be as good as gone. The same could go for Flowers as well unless he has an amazing year this year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
What that dumb columnist didn't seem to grasp is that although we are faced with cap issues, the next 1-2 years we have some opportunities where we can cut certain guys or have them restructure. Another thing is Eric Berry fits the mold that every team in the NFL needs / wants. Young, fast, smart, athletic, good off the field. But other guys on the team don't necessarily fit those molds, and or the molds that Dorsey and Reid have in place (being a tall cornerback for starters). I strongly believe Hali will be asked to take a significant pay cut next year or he will be as good as gone. The same could go for Flowers as well unless he has an amazing year this year.

I hope we can do something different this year with Flowers, the guy has more potential and ability then what we saw last year.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: