Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TRADE scenarios
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bMiller031

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: TRADE scenarios Reply with quote

The idea of trading up in the first round to grab Mosley intrigues me greatly...and actually there are tons of options in the draft that intrigue me. I am a big Osweiler guy, but what about trading up to the early 20s to get Kyle Fuller for Osweiler and a 7th round? Not sure how I feel about that, but definitely interesting. Any other options you guys have been thinking?
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate trading up, especially in a historically strong draft like this one. This might be the most talented draft in a decade. There are probably 40-45 players with legitimate 1st round grades.

If we trade, give me a trade down.

Also, Os is going nowhere.
oldunclemark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all;

Does trading down out of the first round, save you money?
Are 1st round picks required to get a certain level of pay?

My thought was to trade down (a 1st for a 2nd and a 3rd) to lessen what you will have to pay draftees..keeping some cap scape for the upcoming season or to make a late run at someone like Chris Johnson...

Would trading your first this year for a No.1 next year save money and set up a future draft bonanza (2 picks in the first round)?

I guess I'm asking if the money you pay draft choices counts against your salary cap and can you create space by simply drafting less players?
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TRADE scenarios Reply with quote

bMiller031 wrote:
The idea of trading up in the first round to grab Mosley intrigues me greatly...and actually there are tons of options in the draft that intrigue me. I am a big Osweiler guy, but what about trading up to the early 20s to get Kyle Fuller for Osweiler and a 7th round? Not sure how I feel about that, but definitely interesting. Any other options you guys have been thinking?

I'm assuming you mean Brock and a 7th for a first rounder? Not Brock and a 7th to trade up from 31 to 20?

If it's the first trade then I'm on board with it, if not then that would be a horrible trade.

I do like the idea of moving up to get Kyle Fuller or Ryan Shazier though. Looking at the albeit outdated trade value chart, our fourth round pick would buy us a 3-5 place trade up, our third round pick would buy us and 8-10 place trade up, and if we traded our second round pick we could move up into the early to mid teens.

This could be the year that we go all in and trade away some picks in next year's draft as well. Some posters believe Denver will get as many as 4 compensatory draft choices in the 2015 draft, so we currently have 11 picks next year, so we can afford to pawn one or two of them for picks in this season's draft.

Fify.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldunclemark wrote:
To all;

My thought was to trade down (a 1st for a 2nd and a 3rd) to lessen what you will have to pay draftees..keeping some cap scape for the upcoming season or to make a late run at someone like Chris Johnson...

Would trading your first this year for a No.1 next year save money and set up a future draft bonanza (2 picks in the first round)?

I guess I'm asking if the money you pay draft choices counts against your salary cap and can you create space by simply drafting less players?

There's a flaw in your logic here.

With the new CBA, the difference in cap hit between late first round picks and day two choices is nominal.

However, players picked outwith the first round are on strict four year rookie contracts, so if they become a star then you must pay them after 4 years.

First round picks have a cheap 5th year option on those rookie contracts.

It has been argued that teams wanting to draft a QB such as Jimmy Garoppolo, AJ McCarron or Zach Mettenberger in the early second round would be shrewd to trade up into the late first so they can exercise this 5 year option

Fify.
bwall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see how Brock would get us anymore than a mid-low 2nd in a trade, and that might be pushing it. He is not worth a 1st at this point as he has proved nothing in the NFL.
KingBishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos aren't trading Brock

Props to Joe_Is_The_Best
KingBishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock will likely start next season and Denver can decide based on that season to keep him or move on as it is the last year of his contract

Props to Joe_Is_The_Best
Broncos_OTM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBishop wrote:
Brock will likely start next season and Denver can decide based on that season to keep him or move on as it is the last year of his contract
unless he's injured Peyton will play out his contract. Its been mentioned by local media a couple times. I liked the pick but if true it was a horrible move looking back
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see two more years of Peyton. The Brock question is an interesting one for sure...
oldunclemark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PauL;

But if you simply give away your first round draft choice (in exchange for a 2015 1st rounder) is the money you save against salary cap space that could be used for a low priced vet.?
Or is draft choice salary and vet salary separate ...

Lets say Chris Johnson wants $4 mil for a one-year deal? Can we clear that money by trading away our 1st rounder this year for a 1st round pick in 2015?

paul-mac wrote:
oldunclemark wrote:
To all;

There's a flaw in your logic here.
With the new CBA, the difference in cap hit between late first round picks and day two choices is nominal.
However, players picked outwith the first round are on strict four year rookie contracts, so if they become a star then you must pay them after 4 years.

First round picks have a cheap 5th year option on those rookie contracts.

It has been argued that teams wanting to draft a QB such as Jimmy Garoppolo, AJ McCarron or Zach Mettenberger in the early second round would be shrewd to trade up into the late first so they can exercise this 5 year option
broncos_fan _from _uk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless someone we value highly drops unexpectedly (Mosely for example) I would love to see us trade back.

I believe that there is going to be a run on QBs in the back end of the 1st round after Carr gets drafted in the teens "unexpectedly" and due to the fact that I think that there are nearly 40 different players that are on the same level from #20-#60.

I would love to trade back with say Minnesota (#31 for #40 & #72) when they move up to get Jimmy Garroppolo (They have a history of trading back into the first)
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos_fan _from _uk wrote:
unless someone we value highly drops unexpectedly (Mosely for example) I would love to see us trade back.

I believe that there is going to be a run on QBs in the back end of the 1st round after Carr gets drafted in the teens "unexpectedly" and due to the fact that I think that there are nearly 40 different players that are on the same level from #20-#60.

I would love to trade back with say Minnesota (#31 for #40 & #72) when they move up to get Jimmy Garroppolo (They have a history of trading back into the first)

That would be a good trade. Spielman missed on his first QB - Ponder - and so he will have to hit on the next one or Wilf will be looking for a new GM. Thus I could envision exactly the scenario you outline, because I do not see them rolling the dice on a bust waiting to happen like Manziel or Bridgewater at #8.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
paul-mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally (barring a major unexpected fall) I only have two players on my board for 31: Ryan Shazier and Kyle Fuller.

Should neither of those be available then yeah I'd back trading out

Fify.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first round QB drafting might be wild this year. Of the top 3 names (Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel) it looks like one might drop out of the top ten picks and may keep dropping into the 20s. If there is such a drop, the announcers will be invoking the memory of Aaron Rodgers while teams will be furiously discussing trades. As of today, I'd put high odds that the Texans pick Clowney at #1. Tampa, Cleveland, and Minnesota are possible QB drafters. But, who knows?

For the Broncos, a dropping top-3 QB is probably good because it will loosen up the GMs for more wheeling&dealing. When pick #31 arrives and if there still are 4-5 good prospects available, I think Elway would gladly trade out of the 1st round.

Another thing to watch is that Denver will likely have a couple compensatory picks in 2015. That might influence their drafting and trading this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: