Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

7 round GM Mock Draft - Arizona

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eh3034

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: 7 round GM Mock Draft - Arizona Reply with quote

I have recently participated in a GM Mock draft in which I was the GM for each of the NFC West teams. Below are the results of that draft for the Cardinals. Please let me know what you think.

Draft Results
#40 - Morgan Moses, T; Virginia
#52 - Carl Bradford, LB; Arizona St.
#65 - Chris Borland, LB; Wisconsin
#84 - Jimmy Garoppolo, QB; Eastern Illinois
#105 - Billy Turner, T/G; North Dakota St.
#120 - Anthony Johnson, DT; LSU
#160 - Jeff Janis, WR; Saginaw Valley St.
#196 - Andre Williams, RB; Boston College

UDFA - Vinnie Sunseri, S; Alabama
UDFA - Andrew Norwell, T/G; Ohio St.

Trades
Arizona trades #20 to Houston for #33 and #65.
Arizona trades #33 to Jacksonville for #40 and #105.

Note: Full draft results can be found at http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=545019
mtdowner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have preferred to stay put at 20 and take one of Pryor, Manziel, Ealy, Verrett, or Tuitt then taken one of Marcus Smith, Richburg, SJB or Easley at 52.

Really only see 1 maybe 2 starters out of this class.

I like to acquiring more picks but I think you sacrificed adding some superior talent to do so.
Plucky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that might be the ugliest draft to date with little to no impact players to help us get over the hump this year. If the draft turns out like that I would be really upset
eh3034

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I obviously disagree. Billy Turner is the best RG in this draft in my opinion. If you aren't aware of him, you will be VERY soon. Trust me on that one. Chris Borland starts at ILB for you in my opinion. Anthony Johnson eventually starts when Dockett is done. Jeff Janis is a 3rd round talent that I got tremendous value on. Andre Williams is better than Mendenhall and Dwyer, so he immediately becomes the thunder to Ellington's lightning, and Garoppolo was picked to be the QB of the future at 84, when there is talk of him being a late first round pick.

I fail to see how that is a bad draft with no impact players. I'm counting 4 immediate starters in Moses, Bradford, Borland, and Turner, and two future starters in Garoppolo and Johnson. Plus you also get Andre Williams two rounds later than he should go, and he immediately beats out Dwyer to be Mendenhall's replacement. Please provide some specifics if you really feel there are no impact players here. Every single player selected after the top two was selected one round later than where they should, and likely will end up going in the real draft.
eh3034

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:

There are 3 guaranteed day one starters in the list in Moses, Bradford, and Turner.
eh3034

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plucky wrote:
that might be the ugliest draft to date with little to no impact players to help us get over the hump this year. If the draft turns out like that I would be really upset

Your offensive line last year statistically was the WORST in the NFL, so why would you be "really upset" to land two immediate starters. Combine that with the return of Cooper and the addition of Veldheer, and your line has now transformed from a disaster to a strength. How is that the "ugliest draft to date" in your words?

Is it because you simply haven't heard of the small school guys that I drafted for you, so you assume they will bust?
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually according to the draft value chart I like the trades - ended up with some decent value there in a deep draft. It's the value of the actual picks that doesn't look very good:

Moses - don't want a tackle that high unless he's clearly BPA
Bradford and Borland - decent fits, but look like reaches - and would like those positions lower
Garoppolo - wild card, BA would have to love the guy
Turner - like the tackle who could slide inside idea - and competition for Bobbie Massie - but would prefer a guy projected at tackle in the NFL
Anthony Johnson - would have to make sure he has his mind right
Janis - long strider - would have liked to get a guy with more burst off the snap in addition to top-end speed
Andre Williams - actually this is a solid value at #196 - like that pick

Yeah - overall this doesn't look like it fits need exactly or BPA - would be disappointed if this happened.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh3034 wrote:
mtdowner wrote:

There are 3 guaranteed day one starters in the list in Moses, Bradford, and Turner.

Moses MIGHT beat out Massie or Sowell

Bradford will not beat out Minter and at most would be a temporary starter for a suspended Washington

Turner probably would start at right guard. I count 1

#JDI
Plucky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh3034 wrote:
I guess I obviously disagree. Billy Turner is the best RG in this draft in my opinion. If you aren't aware of him, you will be VERY soon. Trust me on that one. Chris Borland starts at ILB for you in my opinion. Anthony Johnson eventually starts when Dockett is done. Jeff Janis is a 3rd round talent that I got tremendous value on. Andre Williams is better than Mendenhall and Dwyer, so he immediately becomes the thunder to Ellington's lightning, and Garoppolo was picked to be the QB of the future at 84, when there is talk of him being a late first round pick.

I fail to see how that is a bad draft with no impact players. I'm counting 4 immediate starters in Moses, Bradford, Borland, and Turner, and two future starters in Garoppolo and Johnson. Plus you also get Andre Williams two rounds later than he should go, and he immediately beats out Dwyer to be Mendenhall's replacement. Please provide some specifics if you really feel there are no impact players here. Every single player selected after the top two was selected one round later than where they should, and likely will end up going in the real draft.

I am aware of Billy Turner as you can see from this post stamped and dated before all the hype was on him. Granted that was probably your best pick.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=533910&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Other than that the first 3 picks are a wash. Borland is a mini thumper that would not start day 1 for us plus we already have Kevin Minter for that role. Moses is only a RT and personally I don't even like him, I think massie is/was a better prospect than him and will likely be our starter. Bradford is can be solid player "acho isk" but we need a star which I don't think he will be. We have plenty of depth in that position. Our most pressing need ala safety you failed to address therefore its a horrible draft for me. None of the top 3 players you drafted is anything better than what we already have on the roster.
eh3034

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, I guess we have extremely different views on Moses, as he is WAY better than Massie and is a huge upgrade to me. I also don't see safety as a pressing need and this safetyclass is awful, think Bradford will be a good to great 34 OLB, and don't see Minter beating Borland at ILB, where you have no depth at all so it is a need either way. I still stand by 3 guaranteed starters, likely 4, with 6 year one contributors. Throw in your QB of the future and I call it a winning draft.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh3034 wrote:
Yikes, I guess we have extremely different views on Moses, as he is WAY better than Massie and is a huge upgrade to me. I also don't see safety as a pressing need and this safetyclass is awful, think Bradford will be a good to great 34 OLB, and don't see Minter beating Borland at ILB, where you have no depth at all so it is a need either way. I still stand by 3 guaranteed starters, likely 4, with 6 year one contributors. Throw in your QB of the future and I call it a winning draft.

Gonna have to agree to disagree with people here on Massie then - because we have seen him perform well when he is using his head - only issue last year was he wasn't - and didn't play. We all hope not playing last season is the kick in the butt he needs to get his career on track.

With Bradford you're onto a need there yes - we do need pass rushing help. With the evaluation though - you're talking about an ASU guy who a lot of us know pretty well. The ASU defense was the most overly aggressive defense in division 1 football. Bradford benefited from that aggressive play calling and guys like Will Sutton getting double-teamed. I think there's some up-side there too (works on his technique and gains 10 pounds of muscle) - but I don't think he's as sure fire a prospect at 3-4 OLB as it looks like from his production at ASU.

At ILB - irregardless of how anyone thinks, the front office values Kevin Minter highly - proved it in last year's draft and letting Karlos Dansby walk. Depth and complimentary players (solid in coverage) are a need there - but we do have Lorenzo Alexander stepping in for D-Wash during his likely suspension and backing up afterward.

Finally, I don't see any way you could consider safety - especially strong safety - not the biggest remaining need for the entire team. The defense was awful in dealing with TE's last season - the guy who manned the position most of the time (Yeremiah Bell) is going to retire - and while I like Tony Jefferson, he has mostly been categorized as a free safety coming out of school and was a UDFA last year. Add-in the fact that the slot guy / extra safety could be out at the start of the season and you have a serious need. Also in the secondary, Cromartie is only signed for one season, and we could always use a corner if they're BPA (leverage for Peterson contract negotiations as well).

As a side note - it's an impossible task to project an entire 7 round mock that makes educated fans from all teams happy. Best way to do it is having fans representing their teams ala FFMD.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFlyTNT wrote:
eh3034 wrote:

Gonna have to agree to disagree with people here on Massie then - because we have seen him perform well when he is using his head - only issue last year was he wasn't - and didn't play. We all hope not playing last season is the kick in the butt he needs to get his career on track.

With Bradford you're onto a need there yes - we do need pass rushing help. With the evaluation though - you're talking about an ASU guy who a lot of us know pretty well. The ASU defense was the most overly aggressive defense in division 1 football. Bradford benefited from that aggressive play calling and guys like Will Sutton getting double-teamed. I think there's some up-side there too (works on his technique and gains 10 pounds of muscle) - but I don't think he's as sure fire a prospect at 3-4 OLB as it looks like from his production at ASU.

At ILB - irregardless of how anyone thinks, the front office values Kevin Minter highly - proved it in last year's draft and letting Karlos Dansby walk. Depth and complimentary players (solid in coverage) are a need there - but we do have Lorenzo Alexander stepping in for D-Wash during his likely suspension and backing up afterward.

Finally, I don't see any way you could consider safety - especially strong safety - not the biggest remaining need for the entire team. The defense was awful in dealing with TE's last season - the guy who manned the position most of the time (Yeremiah Bell) is going to retire - and while I like Tony Jefferson, he has mostly been categorized as a free safety coming out of school and was a UDFA last year. Add-in the fact that the slot guy / extra safety could be out at the start of the season and you have a serious need. Also in the secondary, Cromartie is only signed for one season, and we could always use a corner if they're BPA (leverage for Peterson contract negotiations as well).

As a side note - it's an impossible task to project an entire 7 round mock that makes educated fans from all teams happy. Best way to do it is having fans representing their teams ala FFMD.

+1

#JDI
mtdowner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh3034 wrote:

Bradford is not better than John Abraham right now on the weak side and he doesn't have the length to man the strong side. I also would prefer Marcus Smith at #52 over him who I believe is miles better than Bradford.

Borland is basically a poor man's Minter. I don't mind the pick but I don't see him beating out Minter. Could provide nice depth in case DWash is suspended.

I don't mind adding a RT. Haven't seen much of Moses but if he's the most talented player we're drafting then I'm upset. I'm a fan of Billy Turner but to assume he will automatically transition to OG is a stretch. But I like the pick and would rather use #40 on a player besides Moses and try Turner out at RT.

I am not a fan of Jimmy G whatsoever. But if he's the organizations guy then I'm okay using a 4th rounder on him. But I just don't think he develops into a quality starter.

I like Williams in the 7th. That's a nice pick.

So in my eyes we are turning a talented 1st rounder (Pryor, Manziel, Ealy, Verrett, Tuitt) into a RT, a backup ILB and a backup QB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: