Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OILCHIEF's Mockdraft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: OILCHIEF's Mockdraft Reply with quote

Round 1 (23) Odell Beckham JR. or Brandin Cooks

This one had been talked around here for a long time. I would be happy with either player.

Round 3 (87) Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice

The playoffs showed that you can never have enough good players. He is one of my favorite CB prospects this year. I have him rated ahead of a few players that will be drafted before him. Fits the Dorsey mold of height and speed combination.

Round 4 (124) Charles Leno, G/T, Boise State

Versatility. Athleticism. Experience. I'm drafting him higher then most rankings but I believe he could be a quality starter for us down the road.

Round 5 (163) Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College

Another great athlete. I don't expect him to start in year one but to be a key special teamer and coverage linebacker with potential pass rushing duties as well. Could be a star if he adds 10 pounds and some strength.

Round 6 (193) Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford

I feel he could be a steal in the mold of Jared Allen. His pro day number are very similar to Justin Houston aside from his 40 but 40 time's aren't as important as other tests. He is a bit of a tweener at 277 pounds but if he can add/lose 10 pounds he could fit in very nicely as a 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB. Better athlete than Hali.

Round 6 (200) Beau Allen, NT, Wisconson

Here is a guy who I believe can play NT and allow Poe to move around the Dline to provide different looks. He will need some time to learn as Poe did but he has been playing in a 3-4 and has athleticism that is pretty darn close to Poe's.

You can see a theme throughout my draft. Athleticism is the focal point of my selections. I look for guys who won't be limited by there body and then I looked for production and ability. That's not to say these guys are pure athlete's. In fact, they all have a proven track record. Most of them are described as high character and high motor players.

It might be hard for some of you to like this draft as I only project one player to come in and start so there won't be an immediate impact just like last year. However, I believe all these guys can contibute on special teams and rotationally this year with a few guys who I see becoming solid starters.

Let me know what you think? I wanted to show something different as it's a bit of a slow period on the forum and in the NFL world. Thanks for reading.

Tamba Hali
Chiefer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like all of these guys are going to need time to develop. Mentally and Physically. Raw athletes that can come in, compete and learn.

John Dorsey is that you? Laughing

I dig it man, isn't Gaines a Zone corner though?
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
Seems like all of these guys are going to need time to develop. Mentally and Physically. Raw athletes that can come in, compete and learn.

Exactly. I didn't choose the guys who could step in and play right now but guys who project to be better than role players with training and experience.

Gaines has been used a lot in cover 3 where he has excelled but I have watched him play man coverage where he looks good. Again, he would need to develop and refine his technique but he has all the tools to do it. He has a knack for getting his hands on balls breaking up between 30-40 passes in the last two years (conflicting reports). INTS are low but i'd ratehr a guy who is able to get their first.

Thanks for the reply!

Tamba Hali
valkrei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OILCHIEFS wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

Exactly. I didn't choose the guys who could step in and play right now but guys who project to be better than role players with training and experience.

Gaines has been used a lot in cover 3 where he has excelled but I have watched him play man coverage where he looks good. Again, he would need to develop and refine his technique but he has all the tools to do it. He has a knack for getting his hands on balls breaking up between 30-40 passes in the last two years (conflicting reports). INTS are low but i'd ratehr a guy who is able to get their first.

Thanks for the reply!

where do these guys stack up as far as BPA?

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Flexx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for Beckham all of these guys are; "for the future" type. I like. Question on Gardner. Isn't he a medical concern? He had a pretty bad injury and has been a question if he will be even ready for this season.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My challenge with all these for the future guys is, we still need to win games now, and have needs now.

I understanding building a core group through the draft, but this draft still leaves us filling a few holes in FA out of guys who were cut by other teams, which I'm not against. So while I like the positions you've selected, I might switch orders up some.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flexx wrote:
Except for Beckham all of these guys are; "for the future" type. I like. Question on Gardner. Isn't he a medical concern? He had a pretty bad injury and has been a question if he will be even ready for this season.

He tore his left pectoral but he was able to do all the field drills at his pro day and impressed. I haven't heard any problems with his availability for this upcoming season. His injury may be a blessing for the team who drafts him because it lowered his value substantially.

DT58_lives_on wrote:
My challenge with all these for the future guys is, we still need to win games now, and have needs now.

I understanding building a core group through the draft, but this draft still leaves us filling a few holes in FA out of guys who were cut by other teams, which I'm not against. So while I like the positions you've selected, I might switch orders up some.

I agree we have holes, but without a 2nd round pick I don't know how many guys you can reasonably project to start day 1. Every player i drafted would be able to play this year.

I would rather draft guys who have all the tools and just need to put it together than someone like Kendrick Lewis who will always have limitations even though he came in and did a solid job in his rookie year. He went as far as his traits could take him.

Tamba Hali
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:

where do these guys stack up as far as BPA?

Beckham is obvious that he is right around BPA.

Gaines is rated as the 87th best prospect on CBS which is exactly where I have him. Others rate him slightly lower but he is in the range.

Leno is a round early or so but I love him. Athlete with longs arms and decent power.

Pierre Louis is in the range of 5th round.

Both of Gardner and Allen are rated anywhere from 6th round to undrafted. I think Allen could be had in the 7th but we didn't have one. Gardner is a wild card. Has the athleticism and production to be drafted higher but concerns over health and "tweener" status push him down. At this time in the draft, I respect taking chances.

Tamba Hali
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would rather draft guys who have all the tools and just need to put it together than someone like Kendrick Lewis who will always have limitations even though he came in and did a solid job in his rookie year. He went as far as his traits could take him.

I agree, but I think that we need to find a balance of both types of picks. Teams don't need every player to be an all-pro. But they need to be able to make an impact (particularly our 3rd round pick). We need to hit on some of these players, and just as importantly, we need our picks from last year to step up and hit as well. Another injury plagued season and some of those guys will be written off.
valkrei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:

I agree, but I think that we need to find a balance of both types of picks. Teams don't need every player to be an all-pro. But they need to be able to make an impact (particularly our 3rd round pick). We need to hit on some of these players, and just as importantly, we need our picks from last year to step up and hit as well. Another injury plagued season and some of those guys will be written off.

I don't mind his approach to the draft at least this year. As long as those players have a reasonable chance to play or start we should be fine. I also agree I would prefer a new player with upside over an aging vet that stinks up the field like Kendrick Lewis did.

I am also taking into account that while I don't think the Chiefs are in a full blown rebuilding mode, they do have enough spots that will take more then just this year because the Chiefs Cap situation was so bad. Next year will be a completely different animal.

Just curious though who will be our S and FS?

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!

Last edited by valkrei on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:

I think we are very much in agreement. The hardest pick for me was the 3rd round pick. Gaines was my compromise for BPA and longterm. I feel he can step in right now albeit at a position of strength. I would have liked a FS or another Olinemen but I didn't like the guys who we're slated to go around here and I'm not going to reach on a guy for need at this point.

Another scenario I thought of was drafting Joel Bitonio in the first and a WR like Landry, Huff, Latimer or the best WR who will fall to this spot. That would give us two guys who can come in and start. This is a much riskier plan even though I think Bitonio could be an amazing G.

With regards to holes on the team, I only see a couple.
FS is one but I feel Commings fits perfectly and Gaines might be a prime candidate to switch as well. Versatility in these two guys is endless.
G is a large hole but I'm not impressed with this year's class. I would rather sign a vet.

What I'm trying to say is, I look to the draft to hit home runs and get the best players not today but within the next 3-5 years.
I would rather plug a hole through FA with a guy with a proven track record. Guys like Colledge or Gregory come to mind for G and S.

Tamba Hali
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:

I don't mind his approach to the draft at least this year. As long as those players have a reasonable chance to play or start we should be fine. I also agree I would prefer a new player with upside over an aging vet that stinks up the field like Kendrick Lewis did.

I am also taking into account that while I not think the Chiefs are in a full blown rebuilding mode, they do have enough spots that will take more then just this year because the Chiefs Cap situation was so bad. Next year will be a completely different animal.

Just curious though who will be our S and FS?

I see a combination of Commings and Abdullah. Gaines would also be a candidate once he learns the defense. Aside from that I could see another vet brought in but that's out of my draft mocking control.

Tamba Hali
Chiefer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OILCHIEFS wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

No problem bro, I like mock drafts. Bout to make a 2nd one too.

Yeah I heard he's a guy always looking for the football, but needs to build strength. Rice to KC is a big jump in strength training so I'm not worried about that. Especially with that speed, I think Crennel would love him in Houston too.

Reasonable strategy btw.
kw_215

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OILCHIEFS wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:

I think we are very much in agreement. The hardest pick for me was the 3rd round pick. Gaines was my compromise for BPA and longterm. I feel he can step in right now albeit at a position of strength. I would have liked a FS or another Olinemen but I didn't like the guys who we're slated to go around here and I'm not going to reach on a guy for need at this point.

Another scenario I thought of was drafting Joel Bitonio in the first and a WR like Landry, Huff, Latimer or the best WR who will fall to this spot. That would give us two guys who can come in and start. This is a much riskier plan even though I think Bitonio could be an amazing G.

With regards to holes on the team, I only see a couple.
FS is one but I feel Commings fits perfectly and Gaines might be a prime candidate to switch as well. Versatility in these two guys is endless.
G is a large hole but I'm not impressed with this year's class. I would rather sign a vet.

What I'm trying to say is, I look to the draft to hit home runs and get the best players not today but within the next 3-5 years.
I would rather plug a hole through FA with a guy with a proven track record. Guys like Colledge or Gregory come to mind for G and S.

Reguarding your other scenario, I dont see Landry making it to the 3rd Round let alone where we are picking in the 3rd.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Latimer or the best WR who will fall to this spot.

Mayock (I think) has us taking Latimer in the first. I don't think there is any chance Latimer or Landry make it to the third round.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: