Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Player Development in 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Player Development in 2014 Reply with quote

We're counting solely on player development to improve this year, and for that reason, I think this is going to be a highly pivotal season for the Rams.

Some of the key players include our entire WR corp, our 3rd year cornerbacks, T.J. MacDonald, and Brockers.

We need some of these guys to step up. I think we know what we have in Bradford, with the exception of how he'll bounce back from injury.

Who do you expect to step up in the coming season? Who do you expect to regress and or plateau?

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aspect/players I expect to step up the most is our 2 young corners. They have showed promise and flash of brilliance, but need to be more consistent. The key will be G Williams, so I expect the defense as a whole to really step up.

The group I expect very little from is our 2012 WR class (Quick and Givens), which I think is why we signed Britt and also are looking at Watkins and Evans just in case.

But I do expect Bailey, Austin, and Cook to step up as well.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
FRO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- I expect Tavon Austin to have the biggest leap in 2014. We saw flashes last year. He has a full offseason to really work on his routes. He was really starting to turn it on before he got hurt. The guy can be a big time player for us.

- Stedman Bailey was excellent at WR when he finally got on the field. He runs great routes and he has great hands. I wouldn't be surprised if he was our leading receiver. I'm excited to watch him develop.

- Zac Stacy is going to be the centerpiece of the offense. He was great last year. I think we will see great things from him this year.

- Rodger Saffold was awesome at OG, but it was a position he really never played before. He gets a whole offseason to work on his craft at OG, scary to think he could even get better at OG.

- Joe Barksdale- He was a solid RT for us last year. He is also in a contract year. Maybe he develops into a very good RT.

- Barrett Jones redshirted all year. Can he step in and be a key player.

- Can Michael Brockers assert himself as a top 4-3 DT? He has been a great player for us, hope he can take that next step.

- Alec Ogletree was quietly very good last year. Can he assert himself as a top 4-3 LB in the league? I think he can.

- Now to the guy we really need to improve and develop. The skills are there. Hope Williams can devise a scheme to make Janoris Jenkins into the top CB I think he can be. Same with Trumaine Johnson.

- I'm hoping Bradford can be that QB that we were starting to see last year. With better play around him his game was starting to take off. Let's hope the knee is fine and he is able to pick up where he left off.

- I don't expect Brian Quick and Isaiah Pead to develop. Hope I'm wrong though.
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm expecting Studman to have a big contribution this year.
SAK11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ McDonald on defense and Zac Stacy on offense are the two I'm most intrigued with. People were happy with them last year but both need to show they can stay healthy and continue to improve. Seems like a lot of people think they're surer things than they are at this point.

Last edited by SAK11 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect Pead to even be on the roster. Brian Quick is the other guy that I am worried about. How in the world did he lose snaps to Stedman Bailey last year if he is making progress?

I think Jenkins really needs to step it up this year. He showed some real promise as a rookie, I hope to see more of that in 2014.

zn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the defense to step up, every unit. That's just because of experience and then coaching. I think Wms. will get a lot out of these players.

I expect the OL to be fine, even though we don't know yet who all the starters are.

I don't know what to expect from the receivers as a group. As a group they're mediocre. Bailey could be a good one, as we all saw.

Though I hedge that one with Austin--I think Austin is tremendous and that it will show. They will know better how to use him, he will know better how to do it.

I expect Bradford to have his best season so far.

Stacy we already know about, but we don't know if he can play every game yet. He gets dinged up a lot.

I expect the special teams to be all around one of the 2-3 best in the NFL if not THE best. The early string of penalties from 2013 will be gone and they will just play at a high level.

Brodie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will name someone not mentioned. I can see Barksdale really stepping it up and becoming a solid RT. He has gotten way better since he got here.

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
tim199009

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who will step up?

Chris Givens

Trumaine Johnson

Lance Kendricks

Stedman Bailey

Joe Barksdale

Michael Brockers

Ray Ray Armstrong

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the thread stagnated i'll add a bit more. This year i am really hoping on the development of Stedman Bailey. Thats why i believe it would be a dilemma to draft another wide receiver early and take away snaps from guys we need to develop. I still think Chris givens can be a special player in this league, IMO he can be a more well rounded version of Mike Wallace. Stedman i also notice has a nac for getting himself open and fighting for extra yards. You can tell he is driven and has something to prove. As much as i would love for us to draft Sammy Watkins because he will add an extra dimension of explosiveness for this offense. If we do add him it would have to be at the expense of Quick and Pettis, and not the three young fly boys. ( Givens, Austin, Bailey )

When i think safety this year the only person worth adding honestly is Clinton Dix. As much as people think he is overrated he is the best natural free safety in the draft. The guy is so athletic, smooth and fluid when you watch him play and a true center fielder comes to mind. Pryor just plays like a missile without a target, and Buchanan plays way to stiff for me. This leads me into our current safety situation, As much as i believe Mcdonald can take it to the next level next year i am not all too sure. Thats why i believe we double dip at safety, and add insurance at SS along with HCD in case TJ fails. ( which i certainly hope he doesn't ) and of course i think rodney adds quality depth.

Our defensive back situation is not as bad as people make it out to be. I feel as though Trumaine Johnson is currently the best corner on the team. He has the makings of a true lockdown corner, of course JJ will always garner more attention because he will gamble more, resulting in more turnovers. These two guys are cornerstones and i will take them over Seattles corner anyday ( except Sherman ). The only hole is at the nickel, which i dont see why it would need filling with a first round pick because Mcleod can easily fill this role. and an upgrade can be found later in the draft hopefully in Lamarcus Joyner.

This is the year our defense will turn the corner and become top 5. G.Williams will get the most out of these players, looking at the big plays we gave up last year all came out of poor scheming. With the current front seven i dont see a reason why we allow more than 50 rushing yards per game this year. And with the expectation of more exotic blitz packages on top of an already elite pass rush, turnovers should be of an abundance. I will surely expect the rams to dominate some games this year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and as much as i love and appreciate what Zac Stacy did for us last year i would not be surprised if he regressed next year. There were times last year when it seems as though he got winded a bit easily and his conditioning was not up to par. I know there were some other circumstances he went through last year that may have caused this and he has a whole off-season to condition and correct this. But part of me still resents the fact that he was not there when we needed him the most on the goalline against seattle. Obviously i was not there and did not know the severity of the injury situation, but even Stephen Jackson who i admit ran like a pansy for a man of his size at times. Would have took that snap even through cardiac arrest and try to get that touchdown.

As for Mr. Cunnigham i believe he does have talent, but my heart drops every-time he runs with that football. Its as if i see it popping out everytime. Who knows he may just be a one hit wonder himself, hopefully he can stick around but i wouldn't be surprised if we added a guy like Tre Mason in the draft. And next year we end up with a totally new duo of runningbacks, ( Mason and Pead ) and yes i said Pead i guess i am the only one who hasn't given up on him yet.

inb4 deardiary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But part of me still resents the fact that he was not there when we needed him the most on the goalline against seattle.

He was hurt.

Happens.

Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:
Who will step up?

Chris Givens

Trumaine Johnson

Lance Kendricks

Stedman Bailey

Joe Barksdale

Michael Brockers

Ray Ray Armstrong

The only one on that list I'm worried about is Givens, whom really disappeared this year.

I wasn't a fan of Kendricks at first, because I wasn't thrilled about getting a tight end in that draft, and he had the name "Handbricks" for a reason. But the hands came around, he's a pretty good blocker, and he has a good rapport with Bradford. He was pretty reliable when they needed him.

Bailey and Armstrong were the ones who really stepped it up IMO. Neither of these guys were anticipated to have a long tenure with the team, but both made some statements that they want to stick around. If they continue to get better, they will have very good futures with this team.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
QuickFeet10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsfan28 wrote:
tim199009 wrote:
Who will step up?

Chris Givens

Trumaine Johnson

Lance Kendricks

Stedman Bailey

Joe Barksdale

Michael Brockers

Ray Ray Armstrong

The only one on that list I'm worried about is Givens, whom really disappeared this year.

I wasn't a fan of Kendricks at first, because I wasn't thrilled about getting a tight end in that draft, and he had the name "Handbricks" for a reason. But the hands came around, he's a pretty good blocker, and he has a good rapport with Bradford. He was pretty reliable when they needed him.

Bailey and Armstrong were the ones who really stepped it up IMO. Neither of these guys were anticipated to have a long tenure with the team, but both made some statements that they want to stick around. If they continue to get better, they will have very good futures with this team.

I pray givens just had a off year. He was horrible this past year.

I liked kendricks from day one. I thought he was going to be a great receiving tight end until he started dropping everything his rookie year.

Bailey IMO did wonderful when asked to step up. Even on special teams he lit it up. As for armstrong i love what i see.. He just needs to stop with the dumb penalties

The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsfan28 wrote:
tim199009 wrote:
Who will step up?

Chris Givens

Trumaine Johnson

Lance Kendricks

Stedman Bailey

Joe Barksdale

Michael Brockers

Ray Ray Armstrong

Is this statement an indictment of our franchise? Bailey was a 3rd round pick.If we weren't expecting him to have a long tenure, then shame on us for taking him that high.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: