Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Watkins better than Evans: What am I Missing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
Maverick12 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
WillieYoungSon wrote:
I completely agree. I also think Evans gets drafted first and we get a chance at neither of them.

The Sammy Watkins wining and dining is a smokescreen by the way. Def not trading up for a #3 receiver at this point.

I'm not certain a team invests the time and money the Lions have because its a smokescreen.

Why would they do that?

Everyone knows Watkins is a quality pick and will be gone top 5.

I agree, this doesn't seem like a smoke screen. The FO has put way too much time in him to be considered a smokescreen. Otherwise, why have dinner with him and his family and all the other things they're doing with him. Should also be noted they brought in his half brother for a visit.

Let's keep in mind that the money they've spent is negligible for a billion dollar industry. We're talking a nice dinner and a few private flights. Not that I think it IS a smokescreen, but you can't argue against it on cost. I like the "deal already in place" theory I read somewhere today. If they have a deal in place, contingent on his availability at the pick, then all this wining and dining makes more sense.

Who knows? Maybe Sammy will pull an Eli and refuse to play for anyone else! Wink

If the deal was already in place, why would they be doing this? I have never seen Mayhew do this with a pick that could go that far away from where they were drafting. I dont remember a team that did this with a pick that far from their draft position. What would be the point? Smokescreen. We ain't trading up for a #3. Sorry about it.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't think the money is an issue of any sort here. I do believe that these people's time is a rare an highly costly commodity. Not that they wouldn't use it as a smokescreen, just that with the relative amount of time it sounds like has been given, it seems unlikely to me.

I read somewhere that an NFL gm works an average of 90-95 hours a week. Something like that. You get the idea regardless exactly what the stat was. These people have a TON of work. And using up that time on something means it is somewhat important to them. Now I can see an hour or 2 here or there getting thrown around on a smokescreen, but it sounds to me like they have several 10s of hours put in on this kid.

But even if it isn't a smokescreen I think we need to keep perspective. That does not mean they will be able to attain him or that he is #1 on their overall BB. It still leaves a great chance of drafting someone else. Just a lesser one IMO.
amaru0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
While I don't think the money is an issue of any sort here. I do believe that these people's time is a rare an highly costly commodity. Not that they wouldn't use it as a smokescreen, just that with the relative amount of time it sounds like has been given, it seems unlikely to me.

I read somewhere that an NFL gm works an average of 90-95 hours a week. Something like that. You get the idea regardless exactly what the stat was. These people have a TON of work. And using up that time on something means it is somewhat important to them. Now I can see an hour or 2 here or there getting thrown around on a smokescreen, but it sounds to me like they have several 10s of hours put in on this kid.

But even if it isn't a smokescreen I think we need to keep perspective. That does not mean they will be able to attain him or that he is #1 on their overall BB. It still leaves a great chance of drafting someone else. Just a lesser one IMO.

This definitely falls into the category of "if you're doing what you love, you never work a day in your life!"
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

This definitely falls into the category of "if you're doing what you love, you never work a day in your life!"

Im sure they love it but don't like everything you have to deal with.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
Maverick12 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
WillieYoungSon wrote:
I completely agree. I also think Evans gets drafted first and we get a chance at neither of them.

The Sammy Watkins wining and dining is a smokescreen by the way. Def not trading up for a #3 receiver at this point.

I'm not certain a team invests the time and money the Lions have because its a smokescreen.

Why would they do that?

Everyone knows Watkins is a quality pick and will be gone top 5.

I agree, this doesn't seem like a smoke screen. The FO has put way too much time in him to be considered a smokescreen. Otherwise, why have dinner with him and his family and all the other things they're doing with him. Should also be noted they brought in his half brother for a visit.

Let's keep in mind that the money they've spent is negligible for a billion dollar industry. We're talking a nice dinner and a few private flights. Not that I think it IS a smokescreen, but you can't argue against it on cost. I like the "deal already in place" theory I read somewhere today. If they have a deal in place, contingent on his availability at the pick, then all this wining and dining makes more sense.

Who knows? Maybe Sammy will pull an Eli and refuse to play for anyone else! Wink

Sure, total dollars invested may be small as a percentage of over all revenue however the team doesn't fire up the jet willy nilly and start making numerous trips as a matter of course.

On top of that each hour invested in Watkins is an hour that can't be spent elsewhere.

As a team resources are finite and if its $$$$$ or time they don't waste either on smoke screens.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are taking a pass rusher or Gilbert. If we trade up it will be for Mack or Clowney. Of this I am convinced.
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think Watkins is the best Wr in the draft and Evan's is #2, i dont think we should trade up to get Watkins, i would love to stay at 10 and get evans but that prob aint happening i think if we move up its for Mack,
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping all of this is a smokescreen for somehow trading back. I don't see how it makes sense, but I hope it nonetheless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
I'm hoping all of this is a smokescreen for somehow trading back. I don't see how it makes sense, but I hope it nonetheless

I certainly hope they come to the realization the cost of moving up is prohibitive and choose to move back instead.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

I certainly hope they come to the realization the cost of moving up is prohibitive and choose to move back instead.
as long as we dont lose picks I don't see the problem. you go after the guys you want and I love that way of drafting. if we would of got peterson would you have been ok with losing the second that yr??
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

as long as we dont lose picks I don't see the problem. you go after the guys you want and I love that way of drafting. if we would of got peterson would you have been ok with losing the second that yr??

No.

But I do support trading up this year.
amaru0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

And miss out on Titus Young? Hang on, let me think....
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

The 20-20 hindsight argument.

To move up not losing picks means the team is going to sacrifice depth or a starter which really means a zero sum game.

I have no issue with the Lions going after guys they want if the roster was,

A) Complete.
B) Had sufficient depth.

The Lions have neither.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

To move up not losing picks means the team is going to sacrifice depth or a starter which really means a zero sum game.

A) Complete.
B) Had sufficient depth.

The Lions have neither.
No one has that. Washington didn't when they got RG3. STL has no OL or weapons and even traded up to get one of those when they got their WR last year. Minny didn't when they got Patterson.

No teams has good starters every where plus depth. Every team has needs. Teams that didn't go to the playoffs trade up. Cox, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Harrison Smith were all traded up for in 2012 and the teams that got them didn't even go to playoffs the year before they traded up. Gabbert and Phil Taylor were traded up for by teams that hadn't made the playoffs the year before in 2011. Jordan, Austin, Patterson, & Hunter were all traded up for by teams that didn't make the playoffs the years before.

You don't see a SF every year with tons of picks and depth able to trade up. Not even NE who is always in the playoffs has that kinda of ability.

Sig bet
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

A) Complete.
B) Had sufficient depth.

The Lions have neither.
No one has that. Washington didn't when they got RG3. STL has no OL or weapons and even traded up to get one of those when they got their WR last year. Minny didn't when they got Patterson.

No teams has good starters every where plus depth. Every team has needs. Teams that didn't go to the playoffs trade up. Cox, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Harrison Smith were all traded up for in 2012 and the teams that got them didn't even go to playoffs the year before they traded up. Gabbert and Phil Taylor were traded up for by teams that hadn't made the playoffs the year before in 2011. Jordan, Austin, Patterson, & Hunter were all traded up for by teams that didn't make the playoffs the years before.

You don't see a SF every year with tons of picks and depth able to trade up. Not even NE who is always in the playoffs has that kinda of ability.

That's exactly my point.

Good teams don't usually trade up.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: