Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock 7.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Mock 7.0 Reply with quote

Keep in mind I try to predict we we actually WILL do, and try to keep it as realistic as possible.

NFL Draft

**NOTE** I will not be predicting UDFAs.

Round 1: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU

Likely the first corner off the board if not for his size. Verrett is a shutdown man-cover guy who offers two things that our secondary lacks, speed and ball skills. Absolute playmaker in both pass defense and run defense. Blitzes well. Big RBs don't bother him, as he goes low and makes the tackle. Sticks to his man in coverage, rarely allowing separation. Bulked up to 189, so shouldn't be as easily outmuscled as he was at times in college. Long arms and ridiculous vertical make up for his height, which is only an inch under Newman and Jones. Can play as our nickel corner, while also lining up on the boundary at times. We get a guy that we can match up against the likes of Antonio Brown, Torrey Smith, Steve Smith, and Andrew Hawkins. We've shown interest in Verrett, and wouldn't be shocked to see him be the pick at 24.

Round 2: Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada

With the versatility he possess, it's not shocking that he's another guy we've shown interest in. Bitonio is very technically savvy and a plus athlete who blew up the Combine. Talented in both pass and run protection, he is versatile enough to play both LT and LG. With Boling's health in question, Bitonio can be plugged in at LG from Day 1, and eventually kick out to LT once we move on from Whit. Another bonus to this pick is it should make Boling much easier to re-sign at a team friendly price, if that's something we wanted to do.

Round 3: Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia

Very lengthy guy to add to the DE rotation. Ridiculously strong and can be an explosive athlete. Uses his length well. Solid run stuffer, and has the potential to develop into a scary pass rusher. Can kick inside as a DT and be effective, so he gives us some needed depth there as well. If the combination of Hunt, Gilberry, and Clarke show they can hold down RDE effectively, I'd expect Dontay Moch to make the roster as the 5th DE over Geathers, giving us an explosive edge rusher and a new dimension to our already dangerous defense.

Round 4: Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia

Easiest pick to mock to us for now. A guy we have shown a lot of interest in, I believe this pick totally depends on what happens with Dalton. If Andy isn't extended before the Draft, or at least semi-close to be extended, Mike Brown has made it seem the will prepare to move on. In that case, I think a guy like Mettenberger or Garropolo will be selected in the 2nd or 3rd round. We may even look for a guy at 24 if a couple of the top guys slide. I do believe something will be worked out with Andy though, and if so, I don't see a QB being taken before the 4th. Murray is a 4-year starter who produced quality performances in the SEC. An accurate passer with adequate arm strength, Murray is very experienced in a pro-style offense, and is athletic enough to gain some yards with his legs. Would be a very good backup for Dalton, and may even push for a starting spot in the future if Andy continues to struggle in big games.

Round 5: Storm Johnson, RB, UCF

Not necessarily the 220-230 pound thumper that everybody wants, but he is a powerful north-south runner, while also being effective out on the perimeter. Solid receiver out of the backfield, and possesses adequate speed. Quick to the hole, and can make defenders miss as well as break tackles. Has a solid stiff arm. Arguable one of the most dangerous backs in the open field in this class, using explosive cuts and reversing his field. With his versatility as a runner, you can't always assume a run up the middle when he's in the backfield. Needs to improve his pass protection and ball security, but you aren't going to get a back without flaws in the 5th. Could potentially make a great pairing with Gio.

Round 6: John Brown, WR, Pittsburg St

A guy we have shown interest in, Brown has elite speed and is dangerous in space. As an undersized guy, he has small hands which may cause him to drop some, but he routinely makes impressive catches. He can be lined up in the slot, in the backfield, and is an effective KR and PR on teams. A 3-time team captain, he has been commended as a leader on and off the field as a guy with great character. Not only a Hawk replacement, but possibly an upgrade.

Round 6 (Comp): Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska

Would be long (no pun intended) gone if not for suffering a season ending injury. With Pollak likely headed to C, we could use a new road grading RG to back up Zeitler, and Long fits the bill. Super strong guy who is very solid in both run and pass protection. Smart football guy, and offers the versatility to play RT in a pinch if needed. Continued to effect the Nebraska OL after his injury with his excellent leadership.

Round 7: Ryan Hewitt, H-B, Stanford

The more I think about it, the more I expect Hue to want an H-B instead of a traditional FB. Hewitt is very versatile, being a very good blocker in Stanford's power-run offense, while offering very solid hands out of the backfield. Not bad at all with the ball in his hands. Could play TE if required due to injuries. Very smart guy, and would be a welcomed addition to our backfield.

Round 7 (Comp): Rob Blanchflower, TE, Massachusetts

The team has been quietly scouting TEs during the pre-draft process, and with Orson's recent legal issues, I expect one to be drafted. Blanchflower is a talented blocker who also possess ability as a receiver. Surprisingly solid after the catch. Good route runner with reliable hands. Biggest strength is his blocking ability. Versatile, as he can line up in-line, in the slot, and in the backfield. Never quits during a play and shows tremendous pride in his blocking. Could fill in as our FB if Hewitt were to get injured. Not only a run blocker, as he is solid in pass protection as well. Quickly becoming one of "my guys", and somebody I could see us taking.

53 Man Roster

QB: Andy Dalton, Jason Campbell, Aaron Murray

RB: Gio Bernard, BJGE, Storm Johnson, Ced Peerman

H-B: Ryan Hewitt

WR: AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mo Sanu, John Brown, Dane Sanzenbacher, Cobi Hamilton

TE: Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert, Rob Blanchflower

OT: Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, Tanner Hawkinson

OG: Joel Bitonio, Kevin Zeitler, Clint Boling, Spencer Long

C: Mike Pollak, Trevor Robinson

DE: Carlos Dunlap, Margus Hunt, Wallace Gilberry, Will Clarke, Dontay Moch

DT: Geno Atkins, Domata Peko, Brandon Thompson, Devon Still

SAM: Emmanuel Lamur, Jayson DiManche

MIKE: Rey Maualuga, Vinny Rey

WILL: Vontaze Burfict, Sean Porter

CB: Leon Hall, Terence Newman, Jason Verrett, Dre Kirkpatick, Adam Jones

FS: Reggie Nelson, Danieal Manning

SS: George Iloka, Shawn Williams

K: Mike Nugent

P: Kevin Huber

LS: Clark Harris

Practice Squad

- Rex Burkhead

- Bruce Taylor

- Chris Lewis-Harris

- Larry Black

- Onterio McCalebb

- TJ Johnson

- UDFA DE

- UDFA WR

Last edited by DatDudeKB3 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much about many of the prospects you have mocked to us. But I like the positions. Big fan of Verrett

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Hokie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed feelings regarding this one.

- Not a fan of Verrett. I believe his size will limit him to being a nickel corner in the NFL. I don't want to see a 1st rounder go to a guy who I think will be limited throughout his career. His small frame will put him at an increased risk for getting injured as well. He's already battled multiple injuries throughout his career. If we go CB in round 1 (and it's not Gilbert/Dennard), I hope it's with Roby. He easily has the most upside between him, Verrett, and Fuller, IMO.

- Really like the pick. Guy would start from Day 1. He's mean; very underrated trait in a lineman.

- Like the position, don't like the player. Clarke never played to his size at WVU. He's more of a developmental prospect, IMO. We already have one in Hunt; I would have liked a guy like Ed Stinson here. Less upside but a better overall football player and more likely to contribute as a rookie.

- Good and obvious pick.

- Not a fan of a RB in the first five rounds. It doesn't look like BJGE is going to get cut, and Peerman will be on the roster. He'll have to compete with Burkhead for a spot and I don't think the Bengals carry four RBs to be honest.

- I'm definitely a fan of Smith. Like the pick.

- I think Long is a solid pick.

- YES! Someone has finally mocked Hewitt to the Bengals besides me! High five! I really, really, really like Hewitt.

- Not crazy about a TE. Hewitt can play the position and I'm not sure Charles gets cut. It's a 7th rounder though, so I'm just nitpicking.

- Overall, don't love it, don't hate it. I think the Bengals will and should draft a LB. Other than that, you addressed most of our needs and added some solid players. I could live with it, though I'm going to continue to beat the "don't go CB unless it's Gilbert/Dennard" drum for a while...
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
Mixed feelings regarding this one.

- Not a fan of Verrett. I believe his size will limit him to being a nickel corner in the NFL. I don't want to see a 1st rounder go to a guy who I think will be limited throughout his career. His small frame will put him at an increased risk for getting injured as well. He's already battled multiple injuries throughout his career. If we go CB in round 1 (and it's not Gilbert/Dennard), I hope it's with Roby. He easily has the most upside between him, Verrett, and Fuller, IMO.

- Really like the pick. Guy would start from Day 1. He's mean; very underrated trait in a lineman.

- Like the position, don't like the player. Clarke never played to his size at WVU. He's more of a developmental prospect, IMO. We already have one in Hunt; I would have liked a guy like Ed Stinson here. Less upside but a better overall football player and more likely to contribute as a rookie.

- Good and obvious pick.

- Not a fan of a RB in the first five rounds. It doesn't look like BJGE is going to get cut, and Peerman will be on the roster. He'll have to compete with Burkhead for a spot and I don't think the Bengals carry four RBs to be honest.

- I'm definitely a fan of Smith. Like the pick.

- I think Long is a solid pick.

- YES! Someone has finally mocked Hewitt to the Bengals besides me! High five! I really, really, really like Hewitt.

- Not crazy about a TE. Hewitt can play the position and I'm not sure Charles gets cut. It's a 7th rounder though, so I'm just nitpicking.

- Overall, don't love it, don't hate it. I think the Bengals will and should draft a LB. Other than that, you addressed most of our needs and added some solid players. I could live with it, though I'm going to continue to beat the "don't go CB unless it's Gilbert/Dennard" drum for a while...

I'll go ahead and just address the two prospects that you had problems with.

Let me start of by saying I don't think we HAVE to take a corner in the 1st. However, the team has shown interest in Verrett (I try to predict what happens when I do these mocks), and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the pick at 24. I have to disagree with you on him being limited to the slot, especially against most of the receivers in our division. By far the most polished corner in the Draft imo. He's only an inch shorter than Pacman and Newman, and has very long arms and an insane vertical. After bulking up to 189, I don't have any size concern's about him.

Clarke may be a bit raw, but I think he's a guy who can contribute early. He din't have much talent around him on the WVU defense, so he was the focal point to stop for opposing offenses. Also, he's not a 3-4 end imo, so WVU's scheme hurt him production wise.
wrminning

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best overall draft I've seen so far. I'm not a great fan of Verrett but he's a much better pick then Roby or Fuller and I think that's the choices we'll have in the first. I love Bitonino in the second he can cover OT or OG and that's just want we need. Clarke in the third is my lease favorite pick, I see us as taking a SLB here, I doubt we pick a DE but the pick isn't bad either. I love Aaron I think he could be the second coming of Kenny Anderson, he's the same kind of QB. I like Hewitt but I see us as drafting a FB, I think the H-back is more of a Gruden thing, I'd prefer Copeland here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
Don't know much about many of the prospects you have mocked to us. But I like the positions. Big fan of Verrett

Love Verrett, probably my biggest want in the 1st (assuming nobody goes on an unexpected landslide).
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrminning wrote:
The best overall draft I've seen so far. I'm not a great fan of Verrett but he's a much better pick then Roby or Fuller and I think that's the choices we'll have in the first. I love Bitonino in the second he can cover OT or OG and that's just want we need. Clarke in the third is my lease favorite pick, I see us as taking a SLB here, I doubt we pick a DE but the pick isn't bad either. I love Aaron I think he could be the second coming of Kenny Anderson, he's the same kind of QB. I like Hewitt but I see us as drafting a FB, I think the H-back is more of a Gruden thing, I'd prefer Copeland here!

As for the H-B, Hue is the guy that wanted Orson over Connor. Hue also had Marcel Reece in Oakland. Those are the reasons I think we'll grab an H-B instead of a traditional FB. Love Copeland though.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can pretty much agree with most of this, and would be happy with the first 5 picks.

Now based upon what happens on your roster is a different story maybe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: