Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions sign former Colts CB Cassius Vaughn to 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Don't necesarily think this means Green or Greenwood will be cut. Houston, Slay, Bentley, Green, Greenwood, and now Vaughn is only 6 guys, which is a pretty average number of CB's.

This. Let's see how the draft plays out, too. There's a chance it could be Bentley, too, who has suffered a few concussions with the team now.

Bentley would be my choice, I still think Green and Greenwood will end up being better players, along with the concussions. There is also the chance that Vaughn ends up being the one that gets cut, no guarantee he beats out the other guys, he's not exactly a big upgrade and those other guys should improve. If no one is added in the Draft, it's likely that all of them stay on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I have a sneaking suspicion that the front office is much more comfortable with our CBs than we are. While I think we may take Gilbert if Evans isn't there at 10 (or we don't trade up), I wouldn't be terribly shocked if they don't address the position unless they see a value in the third or later.
lions on top

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
I don't know why I have a sneaking suspicion that the front office is much more comfortable with our CBs than we are. While I think we may take Gilbert if Evans isn't there at 10 (or we don't trade up), I wouldn't be terribly shocked if they don't address the position unless they see a value in the third or later.

I'd actually be all for us trusting our current group. A lot of these players we don't truly know what we have in them and now that we're playing under a more aggressive defense with a defensive coordinator who's been teaching exclusively secondary for 10+ years I think these 2nd and 3rd year guys need a chance to see what they can do under the new circumstances. Blitzing is only going to help a lot of these younger guys as Slay, Bentley and Greenwood are all considered man-to-man corners. I understand the risk in it, if the players play like they have in the past we could be in for a long year but I don't believe drafting more guys only to release other young players over and over is the way to build a secondary. Eventually you have to stop giving the job to players like Mathis and Jacob Lacy and throw the inexperienced players out there and say that it is sink or swim. While on paper it hasn't looked good the last few years there's a lot of potential in this group. Slay, Greenwood, Green have all flashed some good things on the outside when given the chance and Bentley has shown he could grow into a solid nickel when healthy. Not saying they all haven't had their fair share of growing pains, but to me they've got a clean sheet for one year with a new system and coach to prove who should stay and who should go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: