Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears Sign De La Puente
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porter22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaggyBear wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:
If you remember, De La Puente was given the starting job over Olin Kreutz in NO, which prompted him to retire.

Laughed out loud for real.

Not true. Kreutz would have been our starter, but he retired during our camp and De La Puente played well so he got that job.

Not sure if I'm the only Saints Fan with this opinion, but the media and fans graded him way too good. He played good, because of the o line and QB he was playing with and was expendable for us this year. We'll likely let our UDFA from 2013 start instead of DLP. If you got him for minimum salary though, that's a nice signing, especially if he doesn't start for you.

QB Drew Brees - 333 YDs ; 1 TD ; 1 INT ; 2 YDs rushing

DB Patrick Robinson - 3 Tackles
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
De La Puente, 29 in May, was Drew Brees' starting center the past three seasons, and graded out 12th, second, and 16th in Pro Football Focus' center ratings in each of those years.

Roadrunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Quote:
De La Puente, 29 in May, was Drew Brees' starting center the past three seasons, and graded out 12th, second, and 16th in Pro Football Focus' center ratings in each of those years.

Over the last three years, PFF graded him out just behind Alex Mack who was #4. Mack, rumored at $22 Million plus guaranteed, or DLP for a year at league minimum until he negotiates a contract.... Who's your guy?
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pickup who will be our starter next year. Probably a similar conversation that we had with Slauson except he's sitting out the year before we sign him to a long term deal.

Also how many people on here wanted us to sign him for $5mil-$7mil per season on a long term deal? Come on don't all of you come out of the woodwork at once.
ShaggyBear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Good pickup who will be our starter next year. Probably a similar conversation that we had with Slauson except he's sitting out the year before we sign him to a long term deal.

Also how many people on here wanted us to sign him for $5mil-$7mil per season on a long term deal? Come on don't all of you come out of the woodwork at once.

I think I finally agree with you damike

IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moves like this just make me hate Jerry Angelo even more.

Well there's the 7th lineman dressed on gameday. And one less draft need.
G08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

Yup. Signed a center that ranked 5th in the NFL over the past three seasons to a veteran minimum contract -- to be a BACKUP.

Tremendous job by Emery.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Yup. Signed a center that ranked 5th in the NFL over the past three seasons to a veteran minimum contract -- to be a BACKUP.

Tremendous job by Emery.

Let me pinch myself. We have a BACKUP O-lineman that is ranked higher than a starter? We have competent starters.....and backups that we are not afraid are going to end our QB's career due to a single injury? WHOA!
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
ShaggyBear wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:
If you remember, De La Puente was given the starting job over Olin Kreutz in NO, which prompted him to retire.

Laughed out loud for real.

Not true. Kreutz would have been our starter, but he retired during our camp and De La Puente played well so he got that job.

Nope. He started the 1st 4 games for the Saints that year. I even remember Urlacher plowing him over in the dome. Technically, he said he "lost passion for the game", but I heard that he retired because he was informed he was no longer going to be starting. Here's one such article about it:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-22/sports/ct-spt-1022-kreutz-bears-pompei-chicago--20111022_1_twitter-danpompei-brian-de-la-puente-mickey-loomis
CHItownBEATdown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's comical because when we got Jermon Bushrod the saints fans came in and said he was nothing special and to not be excited for him and now they are saying the same about De La Puente, so I gotta ask if the center and the lt of that very good offensive line are both no good, who has made that line as good as it is? Has one of the guards or the rt just really pulled the whole line together?
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare and contrast:

Angelo couldn't come to terms with Kreutz, the locker room leader, late in the offseason (in camp?) and had no backup plan other than to love Garza to center, then rushed out to sign Chris Spencer.

Emery locked up Garza, a veteran leader, before the start of free agency, and then bided his time to sign a capable replacement at the right number.

Talk about a world of difference.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:

I don't think anyone has him at that kind of money. What I remember was stuff in the neighborhood of 3/$10M or 4/$14M. Still though, getting him to keep the backup spot warm for a year to get a foot in for what he can probably expect to be a multi-year starting gig thereafter is a strong get by PE.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
G08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:

I don't think anyone has him at that kind of money. What I remember was stuff in the neighborhood of 3/$10M or 4/$14M. Still though, getting him to keep the backup spot warm for a year to get a foot in for what he can probably expect to be a multi-year starting gig thereafter is a strong get by PE.

Absolutely, and it's such a tremendous job of thinking ahead. He brought our (I'm assuming) future center in a year early to learn the nuances of the offense and have a year in the OL room. It's outstanding, and then when you look at the veteran minimum deal it's brilliant.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Absolutely, and it's such a tremendous job of thinking ahead. He brought our (I'm assuming) future center in a year early to learn the nuances of the offense and have a year in the OL room. It's outstanding, and then when you look at the veteran minimum deal it's brilliant.

I think so too. But, to play devil's advocate, why was he available for a minimum deal a month into FA? Is he effective only in a specific situation? (presumably Kromer can answer this) Starting caliber centers aren't exactly super easy to come by.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:

I think so too. But, to play devil's advocate, why was he available for a minimum deal a month into FA? Is he effective only in a specific situation? (presumably Kromer can answer this) Starting caliber centers aren't exactly super easy to come by.

GRRLacher wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: