Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Targets for Pick #31
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Fuller's stock is rising so I don't expect us to get him at 31, but we are showing interest.

Honestly I think Denver is the Hokie's absolute floor, we won't pass him up.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I would be shocked and frankly disappointed if we didn't draft a WR in the first three rounds. It's an incredibly deep draft, sure, but this team still does need a WR. Welker is no guarantee to make it the season, and even if he does, he's not coming back next year. Sanders has recurring foot issues, and Caldwell is depth. If there's good value sitting around when Denver's on the clock, they'd be wise to grab it.

I agree 100%.

I think it's far more likely (and better) for us to take a WR early than an OL. Fox said we will use "best five" OL combination and we are least seven deep - Clady, Clark, Ramirez, Montgomery, Vasquez, Franklin and Painter - whereas we only have 2 starting caliber receivers locked up long-term, Thomas and Sanders. Like you said, Welker is gone after this year and Sanders is his replacement in the slot and Caldwell is nothing more than a #4 WR.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
I would be shocked and frankly disappointed if we didn't draft a WR in the first three rounds. It's an incredibly deep draft, sure, but this team still does need a WR. Welker is no guarantee to make it the season, and even if he does, he's not coming back next year. Sanders has recurring foot issues, and Caldwell is depth. If there's good value sitting around when Denver's on the clock, they'd be wise to grab it.

I agree 100%.

I think it's far more likely (and better) for us to take a WR early than an OL. Fox said we will use "best five" OL combination and we are least seven deep - Clady, Clark, Ramirez, Montgomery, Vasquez, Franklin and Painter - whereas we only have 2 starting caliber receivers locked up long-term, Thomas and Sanders. Like you said, Welker is gone after this year and Sanders is his replacement in the slot and Caldwell is nothing more than a #4 WR.

Seems to me that Caldwell is a pretty good Special Teams guy.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Andre Williams, Tre Mason, and Carlos Hyde are the only backs in this draft to me that are worth a damn.

Andre Williams is a excellent runner but he should not be on anyone's draft board. There is no chance we draft a guy who has 10 catches in 4 years and managed zero catches last season. His catching abilities are as bad as Chris Ivory.
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
ThePrimeTime12 wrote:
germ-x wrote:
ThePrimeTime12 wrote:
Nate Irving would probably end up being the MLB if this team doesn't draft a MLB in the first 3 rounds. I am not sure if I have that much of an issue with it. I actually think Irving is a decent player.

My thoughts on the CB position consistently change on whether we need more help or not. I think Webster has the potential to be good and on top of that I think our crappy pass rush last season made our secondary worse than what it was. I think this team could afford to get a CB in the later rounds to replace the likes of Tony Carter though. I have no idea why this team is so in love with the guy.

If Denver doesn't address it in the draft i still think the unit will be a solid one. Though, my gut feeling is that they try to improve the position with an early pick in the draft.

Denver should take the BPA in the 1st round between MLB, G, and CB. I wouldn't rule out RB either. I like Ball but we need a home run hitter since it looks like we won't be apart of the CJ2K sweepstakes.

The problem with taking a RB at 31 isn't that we're set at RB, it is that there simply aren't any tailbacks amongst the best 31 players in this draft.

If Bishop Sankey is available at 63, then I wouldn't be too mad.

The Broncos strategy last year was to identify three positions of need, and draft them in the top three rounds, but the exact order would depend on who was available(So for example had Xavier Rhodes fallen to 28, we'd have gone DL in round 3)

If we copy that strategy I think we will look for a WR, LB and CB

I see you omitted Guard among the top three picks. My guess is the top three will be Guard, MLB and Corner in order of who is available when we draft.

Elway has placed emphasis on being more physical in the run game. We didnt address O Line in free agency outside of a depth player in Montgomery.
In my view, this assures we will be taking a Guard in the first three rounds. Would be willing to bet anything on that!

Another prediction: zero chance we take a RB before round 4.

Frankly, I'm not sure that's true. We have plenty of options along the OL- whether it's moving around Clark, Franklin, Ramirez, or Montgomery, the team definitely has pieces in place to make the right decision. I think it's more likely we try and target Brandon Thomas, let him get healthy for a year, and play him next year. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we did draft a guard early, but it's not a certainty.

I respectfully disagree. None of our in house options improve our physicality or substantially improve our run blocking scheme.

At best, Montgomery is an average Center. Having him play as an under finesse Guard would be a definite regression.

Per Ramirez, why move him from a position of strength (an above average Center) to what he previously was- a barely average Guard?

Clark is pretty decent in pass blocking but about the worst option we have in terms of run blocking.

The other option you mention is a guy in our practice squad who has never played O line in his professional career. Sorry, I dont see these options as being superior to drafting either Su'a or Yankey in the 1st or 2nd rounds. Cheers.

NB: The only way I see us not drafting a Guard in the first 3 rounds is if we move Franklin to Guard. Orlando immediately gives us the physical run blocking dominant presence we sorely need across from Vasquez.
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I agree 100%.

Why are you so sure Welker is gone after this season?
Barring injury, a relatively cheap option as a depth Receiver going forward. We could sign him on a year to year basis akin to what we had with Brandon Stokely. Frankly speaking, unless his play falls off substantially, I would not be surprised to see Welker play a total of four years in Denver.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents, but nothing they do in this draft will surprise me. NOTHING!!
Looking at the roster I think this year they finally go BPA regardless of position. If that's the approach they will get a future "impact" player.

Only our FO knows the status of each position and it looks to me like we've probably got "in-house" solutions for every scenario and position.

Guys, this is a very deep and strong roster we've got. Go through it position by position and tell me where a rookie will crack the starting lineup. It's not easy. Also, it's impossible for us fans to rate the development and value of last years PS. Could be guys like Garland, McCray, Painter to name a few have got the FO drooling . We as fans don't know.

Anyway, just my opinion but I believe we're in the best shape we've ever been in heading into the draft and the selection will probably surprise us all. I don't think one position is off the board.
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Looking at the roster I think this year they finally go BPA regardless of position. If that's the approach they will get a future "impact" player.

Only our FO knows the status of each position and it looks to me like we've probably got "in-house" solutions for every scenario and position.

Guys, this is a very deep and strong roster we've got. Go through it position by position and tell me where a rookie will crack the starting lineup. It's not easy. Also, it's impossible for us fans to rate the development and value of last years PS. Could be guys like Garland, McCray, Painter to name a few have got the FO drooling . We as fans don't know.

Anyway, just my opinion but I believe we're in the best shape we've ever been in heading into the draft and the selection will probably surprise us all. I don't think one position is off the board.

If Franklin is allowed to stay at Tackle, I def think either Su'a or Yankey could challenge and beat out either Garland, Montgomery or even Manny at Guard. Surely it would be a competition.

At every other position, I agree it is difficult to see a rookie cracking the starting line up. Maybe at MLB but that is not a given.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Seems to me that Caldwell is a pretty good Special Teams guy.

So many of the great #4 WRs are.

mke1010 wrote:
Why are you so sure Welker is gone after this season?

A gut feeling. A gut feeling based on his contract (which expires after this year), his age (33 at season's end), his lengthy injury history, the way Elway runs this team, the fact that we signed Sanders, the fact that Welker signed here, at least in part, to give the proverbial middle finger to Kraft/Belichick/Mac.

mke1010 wrote:
Barring injury, a relatively cheap option as a depth Receiver going forward. We could sign him on a year to year basis akin to what we had with Brandon Stokely. Frankly speaking, unless his play falls off substantially, I would not be surprised to see Welker play a total of four years in Denver.

Nothing is set in stone. Wes himself probably doesn't know what the future beyond the 2014 season holds. It is possible that he stays for a low-ball contract and plays with Brock and all that. I would just wager against it.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
bmann626

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt care if we went O-line in the first three rounds straight this year. I dont know if you watched the superbowl or that colts game last year, but we lose if Manning is hurried or pressured. We play a tough schedule next year and I would like to build fort knox around Peyton so I dont have to go thru that Seahawks game again. Players at MLB, CB and WR are worthless if Peyton isnt confy in the pocket. O-line for me please.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

If Franklin is allowed to stay at Tackle, I def think either Su'a or Yankey could challenge and beat out either Garland, Montgomery or even Manny at Guard. Surely it would be a competition.

At every other position, I agree it is difficult to see a rookie cracking the starting line up. Maybe at MLB but that is not a given.

A corner could crack the line up to play on the outside on nickel downs. Obviously when we only have 2 corners on the field they will be Talib and Harris but with Harris moving inside in the nickel.

Also I think there's a possibility we draft two linebackers and both see significant time. One as the thumper MLB and the other as a cover guy to pair Trevathan in the nickel. I am very high on Telvin Smith to play the latter role. Obviously we could kill two birds with one stone if we trade up for Mosley or Shazier but failing that I expect us to target two linebackers and both will see significant playing time.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmann626 wrote:
I wouldnt care if we went O-line in the first three rounds straight this year. I dont know if you watched the superbowl or that colts game last year, but we lose if Manning is hurried or pressured. We play a tough schedule next year and I would like to build fort knox around Peyton so I dont have to go thru that Seahawks game again. Players at MLB, CB and WR are worthless if Peyton isnt confy in the pocket. O-line for me please.

Mike Klis said last year that the Broncos top three picks would be, in any order depending on how the board fell, a cornerback, a defensive lineman, and a running back. Of course that turned out to be true but we all know Elway would have taken Xavier Rhodes if he was available, so had that happened we might have taken someone like Akeem Spence instead of Kayvon Webster.

Klis today said the three positions we will address with our top three picks in this draft are Cornerback, Middle Linebacker and interior OL

Hoping for Shazier at 31, Gabe Jackson in the second and then SJB in the third

Could equally be Su'a-Filo, Borland and Spencer Long

or Kyle Fuller, Weston Richburg and Jordan Zumwalt
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has watched every game of Jordan Zumwalt's career, I'm kind of amazed with how high some project him to be drafted. No way I'm taking him to start at middle linebacker. That's a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, what are the Broncos needs in the 1st round?
Example The 49ers #30 overall needs is WR/CB. will be shocked if it isnt.

any details would help like raning of needs. trying to make myself a draft guide
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorldChampsHawk wrote:
Hello, what are the Broncos needs in the 1st round?
Example The 49ers #30 overall needs is WR/CB. will be shocked if it isnt.

any details would help like raning of needs. trying to make myself a draft guide

CB and LB are our first round needs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: