Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bigc421 mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigc421

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Bigc421 mock Reply with quote

1. Texans - Clowney

TRADE

I think Cleveland's owner has wanted Manziel all along, Lombardi wasn't on board and leaked info to he's buddy's in the media. Fischer is smitten with Robinson and feel confident the Jags won't take hom

2. Brown - Manziel
3. Jags - Mack
4. Rams- Robinson
5. Raiders - Watkins
6. Falcons - Mathews
7. Bucs - Evans

TRADE

Giants want Taylor Lewan and get him for good value here on a simple move up. Whether the Viks are looking QB, corner linebacker than can afford to move back a few slots and probly get there guy

8. Gmen - Taylor Lewan
9. Bills- Ebron
10. Detroit Lions - Aaron Donald

Is the BPA on my board if the draft fell this way. I have my concerns with Donald's size and his ability to hold up against Warford caliber guards but this kid is a stud. Everyone is enamored with copying the Seahawks this year and most notable there tall corners. That's not really what I take away from the Seattle way. What I notice first and formost is how the hawks just continue to acquire fast physical football plays who are great and one or two things. Guys who you know what you will get from. Contrary to popular belief there really was no Bruce Irving role on Seattle until they had Bruce Irving. They brought in Bennent and didn't try to fit him in there system they let him do what he did well and incorporated that into there system.

Donald is a unbelievable pass rusher and great athlete. If we really are going to more of a hybrid look then having 3 starting dt types is really more of the norm anyway but when you add in the uncertainty going toward with Suh and Fairly if Donald is BPA this is a no brainer.

Editors not_ I'm really starting to belief Mayhew is wanting to trade up in this draft to acquire one of his elite players. I also am not sold that it's necessarily Watkins. Clowney Robinson and Mack all make equal sense for this team.

Rd2
Marcus Martin-c-USC
I really like this player and with all the talent in this round it took a lot of thought for me to pull the trigger on C but ultimately I couldn't pass. One of only a handfuls of centers I've evaluated in recent history that has star potential in either a zone or power scheme. At 6'3 320 he plays with a very strong base in pass pro and gets push in the run game. He's great size allows him to handle massive dt one on one where most centers don't stand a chance. Gets to the second level exceptionally well. Most of martins flaws are coach able. He's hand technic could use improvement but isn't terrible. Reports also suggest he isn't great and making the line calls from center position. Has started at center and both guard spots

In a fair competition I think he should beat out one of Dom or Sims if not by wk1 than at some point during the year. In the mean time worst case scenarios he's first backup at all 3 spots to start the season. I see future pro bowler myself.

Rd3
Telvin Smith -olb- FSU

Not that in trying to copy Seattle but this is just the kind do pick they'd make and hope he turns into bobby Wagner. Loaded with talent this kid has a lot of upside. Flys to the football and plays physical. Not as raw as some think from what I've seen. Fills 3rd linebacker roll with the promise to be a stud.

Rd4
Philip Gaines cb rice
Tall lackey corner with 4.38 speed and maybe the best hips of seen in this draft. Dude goes from being up in press to turned and running along side wr's as smoothly as you'll find in this class. Some people don't like adding another mid rd corner but I don't buy that, these guys need to start earning there roster spots threw competition. If green or greenwood get cut because Gaines beats them out that's a good thing.

rd4

Brent Urban de/dt Virginia
Very impressive players in terms of where he's being ranked. 6'7 290 and he can move some. A less athletic Watt has been thrown around, I'd say he's no where near as powerfull nor does he have the edge moves Watt had coming out but the comparison is somewhat valid. Very scheme verse and if I was a 34 team I'd be looking at him in the early 3rd. Good with his hands, bats down balls and can make plays in the backfield.

4th
Kevin Norwood wr Alabama
Good all around WR. 6'2 with sub 4,48 speed and solid route running. Plats hard and displays good hand catching. Prime candidate to be a better pro than college player.

6th
Jeremy Gallon wr Michigan
Maybe I'm just a homer but I keep watching tapes of these mid round guys like huff and Herron and think the same thing every time.....this guys nowhere close to Jeremy gallon. Gallon runs exceptional routes and can make the tough contested catches in traffic. Not as fast as you want from a guy this short but think he can really find a niche tearing up underneath coverages

7th
Colt lyerla te/h-back Oregon
Worth the gamble at this point. If he pans out could be a huge weapon for Lombardi

Overall I think this is a really good draft with value in each round. I would have like to bring in a safety but at this point I don't know much about guys outside the top 8 or so and I just don't see any of them being top value where'd we'd get them without a trade. I look at needs more so in terms of big picture and when you draft for bpa a lot of those things take care of themselves.
thugurnaught

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HATE it.

No way i want a DT , plus i dont see Donald being that great. Give me Clinton-Dix, Pryor, Gilbert, Denard, or Barr.

Second- not a fan of a center here, so much talent in this draft all over and i feel like this isnt the best use

I dont mind the third and 4th rounds, but i dont think this draft gives use alot of impact year one.

Lions Board Draft Quiz Champion 2011
Smack with the amazing sig props!
AAL- Tony Scheffler- Swashbuckling the Competition!
1 Rush - 5 Yards 1 Rec, 11 Yards, 1 TD
Chups

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the Lions selecting a player like Aaron Donald in the draft. The year they drafted Nick Fairley, they were getting a top 5 talent at pick 13(?), making him too hard to pass on. In this situation, you have them selecting a fringe top 10 player at a position they have no need to invest an early pick in. If Mayhew and co. are serious about finding a possible replacement for Fairley they should look for that player in rounds three or four where it make sense.
2muchcornbread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Doanld would make a lot of sense.
Unanimous All-American. Outland Trophy. Bronko Nagurski Trophy.
His combine was outragous. He's compared to Geno Atkins. That would be one sic D-line if he's as good as projected. Atkins and Suh..........seriously who wouldn't want that combo?
Defensive lines are heavily rotated. He would be part of the rotation immediately. Added insurance if Suh doesn't resign for some reason.
He would be a lower cap hit once Fairley hits the free agent market.
Not saying Dix, Dennard, or Gilbert are bad. But they won't be making the immediate contribution that's should be expected from your 1st round pick.
Their play would be limited much like Reiff was his 1st year. How many people complained about how a 1st rounder wasn't playing.
The Lions were more forced to play Slay last year. He did face better competition in the SEC as well.
I am not against Dennard or Gilbert. I wouldn't object to them being picked. I just don't see the immediate contribution. I also don't see where they fit with the younger DB's that are already on the roster. Younger DB's that have already have 2-3 years experience and still learning on the job.
bigc421

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thugurnaught wrote:
HATE it.

No way i want a DT , plus i dont see Donald being that great. Give me Clinton-Dix, Pryor, Gilbert, Denard, or Barr.

Second- not a fan of a center here, so much talent in this draft all over and i feel like this isnt the best use

I dont mind the third and 4th rounds, but i dont think this draft gives use alot of impact year one.

I didn't take Donald because he's a dt or because we need a dt I took him because he was the highest rated player on my board and has a skill set that is extremely useful regardless of scheme or depth.

I don't really get your year one impact complaint ( regardless of the fact that I do put very little thought into year 1 impact) I draft players not positions and if Donald turns out to be a better player than Gilbert or Dix or any of those other guys it will be considered a good pick. No one ever looks back on drafting a successful player and says " yeah but they really needed a corner" . Donald is exactly the kind of player that can have a huge impact even as a rotational guy. Are you so certain that Dix would beat out Quinn as a rookie? I mean heck, ihedgbo entire claim to fame is that he's the guy Elam couldn't beat out last year. Rookie corners also rarely have a positive impact on there teams overall success either. These rant the reason I wouldn't take these guys just a counter.

Fairly is pretty much as good as gone as far as I can see with the outside chance we franchise him ( which I'm not sure is there to save Mayhew or make him look foolish for this debacle). As much as I want Suh here for life and I have full confidence the Lions will offer to make him the highest paid dt in the league and will probly even get up with the ends, I'm still worried. I've always felt he wants a "summer of Suh" where he's the big fish of fa and the hot topic for months on all the networks. It's not just about money with him, he NEEDS !!!! Attention.

So we could very well not a have a dt under contract in 2 years making it a huge need. Maybe there rant any good dt available where we pick next year? Maybe there is but now we're starring at that shut down corner at the same time. Do we then pass on that corner to take a lesser dt to fit immediate need?

At the end of the day I think this draft did a lot to improve this team in the long and short. Donald can be a lightning rod playing inside and out while also opening up more opportunities for Suh to play outside. There's so many good players in the 2nd rd I understand it's real easy for guys to just grab most pressing need and then make argument for bpa but I really like Martin. I also really like Smith and tbh would consider him in the 2nd. Comes in and contributes immediately but has pro bowl potential. Gaines IMO would be a starter along with Slay before the seasons over. Guys like Houston don't tend yo have bounce back years we should probly just be glad we got what we did out of him. His ball skills are not going to prove much at this point. For anyone who hasn't had a chance to see Urban play yet I'd suggest taking a look. Mite not wow you but he looks like a long time nFL contributer to me. Both wr I grabbed have promise and fill different rolls, best case they both pan out and contribute. If Norwood separates than he plays the outside in 3 wr sets with Tate in slot. If gallon proves more ready than he goes to the slot and Tate stays outside.
andjordand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued by Donald's ability to rotate between DT and DE, I see him as a better, more stout Melvin Ingram and closer to Dwight Freeney than Geno Atkins. Fairley slid from 5 to 13 because other teams scouting depts. told them something ours didn't about that piece of [inappropriate/removed] and now a 1st round pick from 3 years ago is as good as gone. If they were both in this draft the easy choice would be Donald. Fairley plays with terrible leverage and if he doesn't get inside his opponents hands to force a rip move he ends up being too high for his bullrush and constantly gets washed out of plays. I won't even bother going into penalties and the off the field garbage and conditioning.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^

I dont think our scouting had anything to do with it.

I just think Mayhew had less of an emphasis on character or injury concerns then, and was going after top talent.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
Rockcity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id be fine with donald. so much to like about him. I just would of did the rest dif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: