Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AZ Cards prospect meetings list +overview +thread (updates)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holeman1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: AZ Cards prospect meetings list +overview +thread (updates) Reply with quote

Here is a list of the prospects that the Cardinals have (this list is from walterfootball.com)

Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech (private meeting): this guy is one of my favorite QB's, he is massive (6'7"), fast (runs a bit more than a 4.5 on his 40), and has a great arm. there are concerns about his decision making and that fact that he values his size more than he should... but those things can be fixed up once he works behind Palmer and Arians, personally I think that he would be a good 3rd rounder if there is nothing else that's better available.

Ahmad Dixon, S, Baylor: in my mock draft I have him going in the third round to us. he has good size and can be a trench thumper when you need him to be, his coverage skills are also polished which makes him versatile. his biggest concern is that he likes to go for the big play instead of making a safe play, but that can be fixed.

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT, McGill (two meetings, one private): interesting prospect, I honestly don't know where he should go. he has workout numbers that are similar to Taylor Lewan and has great intangibles. i like him a lot and i think he could be a great pickup if we can secure him in the 4th round.

Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina (private meeting): i have Bruce Ellington going in my mock draft to the Cards in the 4th round. Ellington is small (5'9") but is as tough as any receiver available, Ellington also has great legs and can run a 4.30 easily, ideally he would be Ted Ginns backup as Ginn has not proven to be a reliable slot receiver in the recent years. he is also Andre Ellington's cousin.

Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane: big bodied receiver with nice speed for his size, he is probably a 6th/7th round pick, but i don't think we really need him.

Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming: nice speed to compliment decent size, could be drafted in the mid rounds and act as Ginn's backup, needs a bit more polish as a route-runner but right now he could be a interesting developmental WR.

Howard Jones, LB, Shepherd (private meeting): i cant really find anything about him, he is probably going to be a UDFA that we can pick up if we see something we like in him.

Nevin Lawson, CB, Utah State: interesting CB that is a late rounder that could also be a UDFA, once again like with Jones, if we see something we like we could grab him as a UDFA

Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia: his pro comparison is Rob Housler, and that's pretty much who he is. okish blocker that has receiving potential but has a bit of a problem with drops.

Cassius Marsh, DE, UCLA: has a nice mix of speed and power, his big problem is that he has false started ALOT in key situations. it can be fixed but he frustrated UCLA a few times last year. probably a third day choice.

Tre Mason, RB, Auburn: a 3rd or 4th round RB that has some nice skills as he carried Auburn to a miracle year last year, but his power running is not exactly that great, he also was behind a great O-line last year so there is some questions about overall talent.

Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU (more than one meeting): i hope that this is a smokescreen, we have "Mett" with him at the combine two separate times. Mettenberger has a nice arm and has displayed his ability to improve as he learns, but he is slow, makes some dumb throws, and has some off the field issues. probably a 3rd/4th round guy.

Bernard Reedy, WR, Toledo: a UDFA player that has some potential as a slot receiver.

Jason Verrett, CB, TCU (private meeting): not a guy we would want a #20, but if we decide to trade down then he could be a interesting guy, Verrett is a small, feisty slot defender that does better in run-defense than one would think. if we take Verrett then he would compete to be the #3 guy with Powers and when Mathieu returns, he can line up with Verrett to form a very strong secondary.

Larry Webster, LB, Bloomsburg (private meeting): don't know anything about him, would be a UDFA.

Terrance West, RB, Towson (private meeting): i used to have this guy in my mock draft because he has been such a big part of his division 2 team and has lead them to the championship game. good power back that also has good agility to him

Jerick McKinnon, RB/QB/CB, Georgia Southern: a interesting guy that played QB in Georgia Southern, however while he was playing that position he played so many designed QB runs it would make you head spin. however he did relatively good as a runner so he entered the draft as a RB. there are speculations he could also play as a CB. would be a early third day pick.

Ryan Shazier, OLB/S, Ohio State: a fast guy that has a amazing ability to get from sideline-to-sideline in amazing fashion. I would be surprised if he fit in our system as a OLB because his run-defense and blitz ability is nothing spectacular. if we draft him he could move to SS.

Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota: I like this guy lot, and even though he dipped on a lot of BB's, he still has great size and power that is basically a replica of Darnell Dockett. easily a late first/early second round pick, I don't think we can grab him in the second round unless we trade up.

Last edited by holeman1 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:38 pm; edited 5 times in total
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love Verrett at 20. One of my favorite players in this draft and my 3rd overall DB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
I would love Verrett at 20. One of my favorite players in this draft and my 3rd overall DB

I like him too, but he is not a top twenty guy.

sig made by mike23md
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:

Why not? Size is the only big issue.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
TheMachONE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear lord please tell me we aren't serious about Mettenberger...
TheMachONE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
shawn wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:

He got owned in some games last year. Especially deep.
shawn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
shawn wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:

He seems more like a #2 guy, or a slot corner. What is he 176 pounds?

sig made by mike23md
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a first or second round consensus pick amongst any of those names

We do keep our cards (pun intended) close to our chest.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine texted me that the Cards really like AJ McCarron. I didn't believe him but I did some research and there has been some reported truth to that. From Sports Illustrated:

Quote:
According to NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah, ”a lot of personnel guys” have connected the Cardinals to Alabama QB AJ McCarron.

Jeremiah isn't the most respected guy on these boards but it's still an interesting development.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the same reports as well

But i havent seen a scheduled visit or us at his pro day

So taking it with a grain of salt until that occurs

I like AJ, have been on his wagon for a while, 3rd round or later for me.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:

Which usually is a way of masking interest. I'm not a fan, I think he could be a high end backup/spot starter/Andy Dalton at best type of a player.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Plucky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Aj is very Alex Smith ish, I would welcome him in the 3rd possibly 4th. ps if that does happen we will get picked for that HBO series. This team is buzzing, I think we might get picked either way, but I would love to see what dockett does to AJ. They got a lot of twitter beef over aj's fiance. Imagine that haircut
JLW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy that they have any serious interest in McCarron. It feels awfully similar to last year's Barkley rumors.

And I wouldn't read too much into any of these meetings, especially for guys with character concerns (Mettenberger). A lot of guys with character concerns get brought in and/or met with at the combine just for due diligence. They might not even meet with guys we have no questions about. If I recall correctly, they didn't meet with Patrick Peterson at all. For the most part, these guys all have questions they needed to answer. For example, apparently teams are looking at Webster as a tight end and not a pass rusher, so they probably want to find out if he can actually catch.

You can look at the guys we were known to have met with from last year and the only one we ended up with is Tyrann Mathieu (and Dan Buckner if you want to count that, I guess). Lots of guys that we passed on multiple times, and a couple that we'll never know what their true interest was because they went before our pick (Lane Johnson, Ansah, Jordan).

Out of these guys, I'm really interested in Duvernay-Tardif, Ellington, Herron, and Thomas potentially in the middle rounds if they are available to us there.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahmad Dixon is a very intriguing name on that list. He has the physical skill set you want in a safety from size to athleticism. He can definitely hit and make an impact as a run defender but he needs to work on his technique and awareness in coverage. That just requires a lot of coaching and experience.

Does have some character concerns though.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:

Which usually is a way of masking interest. I'm not a fan, I think he could be a high end backup/spot starter/Andy Dalton at best type of a player.

I see Kurt Warner in him, but then again i see with tainted glasses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: