Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 No Trades Mock Draft - 4/4/14
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Jrry32 No Trades Mock Draft - 4/4/14 Reply with quote

I wanted to do a mock without the aid of any trades. I think we'll be trading quite a bit come draft day. The first pick shouldn't surprise you, I've been pretty consistent with that. This is what I, JRRY32, would do.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #2 - JaDeveon Clowney DE South Carolina
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdCaHa8xC6o

Round 1 Pick #13 - Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ3C6bBpFGI

Round 2 Pick #12 - David Yankey OG/OT Stanford
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS2Zw-CbBho

Round 3 Pick #11 - Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJrZ2qiAYOs

Round 4 Pick #10 - E.J. Gaines FS Missouri
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMhkWIvc8zg

Round 5 Pick #13 - James White HB Wisconsin
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_VvVhQrGc

Round 6 Pick #12 - Brett Smith QB Wyoming
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vetTlu5FpFo

Round 6 Comp - Matt Patchan OT Boston College
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Gh5N_hM6g

Round 7 Pick #11 - Avery Patterson S Oregon
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK9csppV-Ls

Round 7 Pick #26 - Jeremy Gallon WR Michigan
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL5yu-MkoUw

Round 7 Comp - Denicos Allen OLB Michigan State
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrvnVoBWuXk

Round 7 Comp - Nikita Whitlock FB Wake Forest
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M58QjIfafNk

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Nikita Whitlock
XWR: Jared Abbrederis
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Stedman Bailey
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: David Yankey
C: Scott Wells
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Darqueze Dennard
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: Janoris Jenkins
FS: E.J. Gaines
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

Thoughts?

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
FRO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting Clowney and Dennard makes our defense special. Has Gaines ever played FS?
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRO wrote:
Getting Clowney and Dennard makes our defense special. Has Gaines ever played FS?

Not that I know of but it's a transition that makes sense for him. He's a physical player and a good tackler with really good instincts but I don't think he has quick enough feet and great enough short area quickness to star at CB.

At safety, he'd be a good option and he does have a lot of experience in zone coverage...plus a knack for stripping the football.

yoinesh123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Mock Jrry, Love the Clowney and Dennard Picks. Gaines was one of my fav players in the Sec last year so...... But I think the Rams will go after a True FS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fs is one of the most important positions in a gregg williams defense.
clinton-dix is the perfect fit with his huge range.
every mock without clinton-dix at 13 doesn't make any sense at all.

i have a feelint the first three picks of the rams will be (with a trade down) greg robinson, clinton-dix and pierre desir.
pick #4 will be the back up qb.
SAK11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would be your guess to get cut at WR?

Big fan of staying put and grabbing Clowney. No true FS is the only real question, although without any trades I guess it's hard to grab a guy like Haha with where the Rams are picking if you don't view him as a top end prospect.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrrrrrrams wrote:

Laughing

As for the mock, Clowney has to be the pick at #2 like you have...

Not crazy about Dennard at #13, I'd rather just trade back and take my chances of landing one of Gilbert, Verrett, Fuller, Clinton-Dix in the later teens or twenties depending on how far we would move...

Teams love to jump up for those just outside the top ten picks...

Not sure how well Gaines would hold up at FS, he's on the smaller side for an NFL free safety. I think he could make the switch, but I don't know that he would last long-term. He gets nicked up a lot. Plus, I think Rams might be looking for more of a true FS type and not a convert to play day one, since they decided not to bring in a veteran option at the position in FA...

I love the Avery Patterson pick. Kid is a favorite sleeper pick of mine...

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were Stuck at #2 (stuck being a relative term) then Clowney needs to be to be the pick, no argument there. Would be very disappointed if he wasnt the pick in that situation.

I personally think it would have to be a very specific situation for Dennard to get past the Lions at #10, but if he was there at #13, I would love to have him. If we are talking Justin Gilbert, I am probably going to fight you some one that.

I cant quite put a finger on Yankee. When I watch him I love him, so when I see people say he is a late 2nd/3rd rounder it surprises me. As I would be ecstatic if he was there at #44. He may be a G/T prospect, but in our scheme he is only a guard, and would make a dominant tandem with Saffold.

I like Abbrederis fine enough, not as much as you do, but Im not sure he would be the best talent we could get there in the 3rd. He may be the best WR left, but I wouldnt reach for him over some potentially more impactful talents that could still be there at #75

Im not a big James White guy, I really love your other drafts with Charles Sims, that dudes gonna be a stud. And Brett Smith is really growing on me, he or David Fales are guys Id like to have.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Aaron Donald??

Shocked

Haha, but really-- I would be happy about Clowney, and while I love Dennard, I dont think he fits our scheme.

I like Yankey andddd thats about it.

So no, I wouldnt be crazy about this outcome. Clowney saves it though.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Clowney pick, Abberderis, & Smith. The rest I'm so so on. Not sure I want Dennard at #13 and not getting a legit FS is concerning. Not sure what the big difference between Reid at FS then Gaines, though I do like Gaines at CB (as I like Reid also there).
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
FRO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
No Aaron Donald??

Shocked

Haha, but really-- I would be happy about Clowney, and while I love Dennard, I dont think he fits our scheme.

As for Dennard fitting our scheme , I've heard Williams is a press man guy. Fisher runs zone, so I'm confused on what we will run. Dennard has to be in a predominate press man scheme to be at him most effective. If we run a lot of zone he won't be a fit.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrrrrrrams wrote:
fs is one of the most important positions in a gregg williams defense.

i have a feelint the first three picks of the rams will be (with a trade down) greg robinson, clinton-dix and pierre desir.
pick #4 will be the back up qb.

Disagree. I don't think this team values the safety position highly. If they did, they would have gone after one of the many veterans on the market.

Quote:
clinton-dix is the perfect fit with his huge range.

Unless your name is Les Snead, I don't think you have the adequate knowledge to backup that assertion.

I'm not saying Clinton-Dix won't be the pick but it's far from a lock.

jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
I personally think it would have to be a very specific situation for Dennard to get past the Lions at #10, but if he was there at #13, I would love to have him. If we are talking Justin Gilbert, I am probably going to fight you some one that.

I think Justin Gilbert will go before Dennard. So he'd likely be the Lions pick if they went that direction.

Quote:
I like Abbrederis fine enough, not as much as you do, but Im not sure he would be the best talent we could get there in the 3rd. He may be the best WR left, but I wouldnt reach for him over some potentially more impactful talents that could still be there at #75

I love Abbrederis. You know how passionate I am about WRs. When a person learns route running intimately, you find that there are so many players that just look so woefully inadequate. So when you stumble upon players that dedicate themselves to their craft and are truly great at it, you appreciate the hell out of them. Stedman Bailey and Keenan Allen are two such players.

Abbrederis is also that type of player. He's very underrated. There are concerns about concussions with him but that man is an incredible route runner. He is explosive in and out of his breaks, he has loose hips, quick feet, accelerates extremely well, changes speeds, use a constant stride, understands how to sell his routes and incorporate fakes, and he keeps defenders CONSTANTLY on their heels.

The best thing I saw from that highlight video was not that incredible stutter and go move he ran against Penn State or that dead sexy curl he ran with the triple move...it was the simple dig he ran where the Penn State CB waited until Abbrederis took an extra couple of steps before he decided to cut with him because he was so afraid that Abbrederis was using a double move and would break back outside. When you make CBs hesitate to break with you, you have them beat.

This is a kid with 4.44 speed that will make the tough catch, rarely drops balls, is highly intelligent(former QB), is always in the right spot, gets plenty of separation with his routes, and plays through the whistle with blocking and setting picks while route running.

He's a QB's best friend and imo, a coach's dream. You can tell he's passionate about football, you can tell he works extremely hard to be the best, and the guy is not lacking in athleticism.

He needs to add strength and weight to help him get off the jam at the NFL level and there is some progressing he can do with his routes because they're not perfect...but he's pro ready, he's reliable, and he's smart.

Quote:
Im not a big James White guy, I really love your other drafts with Charles Sims, that dudes gonna be a stud. And Brett Smith is really growing on me, he or David Fales are guys Id like to have.

I like Sims but I have him going before the 5th. I like what White offers. He's a HB that can contribute immediately on passing downs and I like his cutting ability, balance, patience, and vision. Personally, I like him better than Montee Ball because he can catch the ball and block. Ball's a bit more powerful and has better leg drive but White is a better cutter and has more breakaway speed.

I like the kid. I think he's a solid HB. Personally, I think he's the opposite of Stacy in a good way. He's an elusive Zac Stacy that can catch the football.

DEE RAWL wrote:
No Aaron Donald??

Shocked

I think Williams will build his scheme around what we have. Plus, with all the blitzing he does, you gotta know he's going to play a lot of man to man and wants CBs that can hold up on an island.

Flatlyner wrote:
I like the Clowney pick, Abberderis, & Smith. The rest I'm so so on. Not sure I want Dennard at #13 and not getting a legit FS is concerning. Not sure what the big difference between Reid at FS then Gaines, though I do like Gaines at CB (as I like Reid also there).

Gaines has got a bit more size on Reid and is a better tackler imo.

jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the real, for all you guys not sure about Abbrederis...just watch this one play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJrZ2qiAYOs#t=03m45s

Make sure to watch the replay. Look at the route he runs and tell me that you don't think Bradford could make use of that guy. Wink

l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we keep Dennard in strictly man coverage I really like the pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: