Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hokie Mock 3.0; 2 round mock with Bengals picks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hokie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Hokie Mock 3.0; 2 round mock with Bengals picks Reply with quote

Decided to kill 90 minutes working on a mock this evening. Here goes...

Note: I anticipate the Bengals making another depth signing or two before the draft, but I won’t assume that for this mock since I don’t know the exact route they’ll go. Assuming Gilbert/Dennard/Martin are all off the board, I think the best course of action would be to trade down into the late 1st/early 2nd, but I won’t assume any of that for this mock.

1. Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame

Third straight mock I’ve had the Bengals targeting a Notre Dame guy, and this is the same pick as I had in Mock 1.0. I think Tuitt makes a ton of sense here. He is versatile enough to play anywhere on the DL, and we can use a depth at both DE and DT. Tuitt has tantalizing potential and reminds me a lot of Carlos Dunlap coming out of college. Great size (6’5, 305) with long arms, which helps with fighting off blocks and also deflecting passes. Is very athletic for a man his size and was productive at Notre Dame. There are concerns about his work ethic and consistency, as Dunlap and Johnson both had similar concerns coming out of college. If he reaches his potential, he’ll be a pro-bowler multiple times throughout his career. At worst, he’ll likely be a solid starter.

2. Gabe Jackson, OG, Ole Miss

The Bengals currently have a major hole on the offensive line. Pollack is likely going to start at center, with Whitworth moving back to LT, which leaves an open position at LG. Jackson is a big-bodied, four year starter who would be an immediate starter and provide a stabilizing presence for the offensive line. He’s good in both run blocking and pass protection. Has a high football IQ as well.

3. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida

Purifoy falls to the 3rd due to a horrible combine showing. Purifoy has a ton of upside; it will fall on his position coach to get him to see it. Purifoy is a highly athletic CB who has great man coverage skills, along with good length for the position. He needs a year of getting strong and experience practicing with quality NFL veterans. Given how I don’t think any CB in this draft outside of Gilbert/Dennard would start from Day 1 for the Bengals, I think waiting until the 2nd/3rd and grabbing a high-upside CB is the best route we could go. I think a year of playing with our veterans would do wonders for Purifoy, and he’d be ready to step in and compete for meaningful playing time in year 2. He’s cocky and confident; I like that in a CB.

4. Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia

This just seems like a match made in heaven. The Bengals love Georgia players, he has experience getting the ball to Green, and he won’t be asked to contribute as a rookie due to two quarterbacks being above him on the roster and him coming off an ACL tear. He would hold a clipboard for a year and likely be the primary backup in 2015 (or possibly compete for a starting position should Dalton flop). He has a quick release and is known for not trying to do too much with the ball. Four year starter for an SEC team shows you that talent isn’t an issue.

5. Dri Archer, WR/KR, Kent. St.

Archer is not only a Hawkins replacement, but maybe even an upgrade. He has outstanding acceleration and top end speed, and he offers something in the return game as well (four career kickoff return TDs). The Bengals have needed an electric returner for years and Archer is one of the best in this draft. Guy is very dynamic with the ball in his hands. He’s the kind of guy you want to give a few touches to every game and see what he can make happen. Decent chance he's not available here.

6A. Max Bullough, MLB, Michigan St.

With Rey likely going to get more reps at SLB, we could use a tough-minded MLB on the roster. Bullough has a high football IQ and is a very physical player. He does have athletic limitations that may regulate him to being a backup/special teams ace in the NFL. Kind of guy who leads by example and will definitely provide competition to the guys we already have at LB. He may not slip to this point.

6B. Ben Gardner, DE/SLB, Stanford

Gardner is a bit of a tweener prospect who was a surprise combine snub but had a very impressive pro day. Gardner was having a very productive senior season but it was cut short by a torn pectoral injury. Guy is a disruptive player who has a knack for making plays in the backfield. He has 34 TFL in 34 career starts. Highly athletic and an intelligent football player. Reminds me (a little) of Paul Kruger. I think profiles as a rush 3-4 LB or a 4-3 SLB.

7A. Ryan Hewitt, H-Back, Stanford

One of my absolute favorite prospects in the draft, he’s the only guy I’ve mocked in all three of my mocks. He has good hands, is very intelligent, and was a team leader at Stanford. I think he could be the H-Back that Hue has been searching for. He has experience playing special teams as well, something that would greatly help his chances at making a roster as a rookie.

7B. Matt Armstrong, OC, Grand Valley St.

Small school center prospect who was a four year starter. Technique needs a lot of work and he needs to spend some time in the weight room.

1. Houston Texans – Blake Bortles, QB
2. Atlanta Falcons (trade) – Jadeveon Clowney, DE
3. Jacksonville Jaguars – Johnny Manziel, QB
4. Cleveland Browns – Sammy Watkins, WR
5. Oakland Raiders – Kahilil Mack, LB
6. St. Louis Rams (trade) – Greg Robinson, OT
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Teddy Bridgewater, QB
8. Minnesota Vikings – Justin Gilbert, CB
9. Buffalo Bills – Jake Matthews, OT
10. Detroit Lions – Anthony Barr, LB
11. Tennessee Titans – Darqueze Dennard, CB
12. New York Giants – Taylor Lewan, OT
13. St. Louis Rams – Mike Evans, WR
14. Chicago Bears – Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S
15. Pittsburgh Steelers – Eric Ebron, TE
16. Dallas Cowboys – Aaron Donald, DT
17. Baltimore Ravens – C.J. Mosley, LB
18. New York Jets – Marquis Lee, WR
19. Miami Dolphins – Zack Martin, OG
20. Arizona Cardinals – Kona Ealy, DE
21. Green Bay Packers – Ryan Shazier, LB
22. Philadelphia Eagles – Calvin Pryor, S
23. Kansas City Chiefs – Brandin Cooks, WR
24. Cincinnati Bengals – Stephon Tuitt, DE
25. San Diego Chargers – Louis Nix, DT
26. Cleveland Browns – Derek Carr, QB
27. New Orleans Saints – Jason Verrett, CB
28. Carolina Panthers – Odell Beckham, WR
29. New England Patriots – Jake Amaro, TE
30. San Francisco 49ers- Kelvin Benjamin, WR
31. Denver Broncos – Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG
32. Seattle Seahawks – Dee Ford, OLB
33. Houston Texans – Cyrus Kouandjio, OT
34. Washington Redskins – David Yankey, OG
35. Cleveland Browns – Morgan Moses, OT
36. Oakland Raiders – Timmy Jernigan, DT
37. St. Louis Rams (trade) – Jimmie Ward, S
38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Allen Robinson, WR
39. Jacksonville Jaguars – Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE
40. Minnesota Vikings – Jimmy Garoppolo, QB
41. Buffalo Bills – Troy Niklas, TE
42. Tennessee Titans – Carlos Hyde, RB
43. New York Giants – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT
44. St. Louis Rams – Scott Crichton, DE
45. Detroit Lions – Kyle Fuller, CB
46. Pittsburgh Steelers – LaMarcus Joyner, CB
47. Dallas Cowboys – Dion Bailey, S
48. Baltimore Ravens – Jeremy Hill, RB
49. New York Jets – Demarcus Lawerence, DE
50. Miami Dolphins – Shayne Skov, LB
51. Chicago Bears – Bradley Roby, CB
52. Arizona Cardinals – Antonio Richardson, OT
53. Green Bay Packers – Trent Murphy, DE
54. Philadelphia Eagles – Davonte Adams, WR
55. Cincinnati Bengals – Gabe Jackson, OG
56. San Francisco 49ers – Keith McGill, CB
57. San Diego Chargers – Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB
58. New Orleans Saints – Jordan Matthews, WR
59. Indianapolis Colts – Brandon Thomas, OG
60. Carolina Panthers – Joel Bitonio, OT
61. San Francisco 49ers – DaQuan Jones, DT
62. New England Patriots – Weston Richburg, OC
63. Denver Broncos – Carl Bradford, OLB
64. Seattle Seahawks – Martavis Adams, WR
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 2nd and 3rd rounders. Not a fan of the first round pick. Not high on him. I don't know many of the late round guys but positions are ok.

Love the Archer pick

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
wrminning

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see us taking a DE/DT in the first but I love getting Jackson in the second. My problem is that I don't see a lot of the players you chose as being there when we pick. I don't see Gabe Jackson lasting until the late 2nd most mock's have him going early in the Second. Likewise I don't think Bullough lasts until the 5th, most have him going in the third. Lastly I don't see Archer lasting until the late 6th.
You did a great job of covering our needs. If we got all the players in your Mock then we'd have a hell of a draft, I just don't see it as realistic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the previous two posts, I'm not thrilled with Tuitt, but I could see it happening. Rounds 2-6 are spot on though. I like the two starting CBs for thwe gators, so getting Purifoy (or Roberson) is fine with me. Murray is a good pick there, getting a solid OG in round 2 works as well. Archer in the fifth would be icing on the cake.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Count me with the rest, not a fan.
2. I like it, but I think it more likely that they take a tackle who can play guard until Whit is done.
3. No thank you.
4. Ok
5. Good pick.
6a. Ok.
6b. Ok
7a. Ok
7b. If he is BPA, ok, but I don't see a "need" for another late round C.

Last edited by Jason_Bengal_Fl on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Hokie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate all the feedback, fellas. Rather than address you post by post, I'm going to do so pick by pick.

1. I didn't expect this to be a popular pick. Given how my draft board shook out, I think the only popular picks would have been Verrett, Fuller, and possibly even Carr. I'm on record as saying that I personally believe CB is an overrated need for us, and I'm not crazy about the idea of taking a CB in the 1st round unless it's Gilbert or Dennard. I think Verrett has size limitations that could limit him to being a nickel corner, and I think Fuller's upside is limited to that of a #2 corner. What I like about Tuitt is he is a great fit for talent (guy arguably has more potential than any DL prospect in this class outside of Clowney) and is a great fit for need (can play BOTH DE/DT). I think DE is an underrated need for us. Everyone seems to be banking on a guy who really struggled as a rookie in Hunt. I like him, but I think there's a very real chance he never lives up to his potential. Hunt is still more of an athlete than a football player, IMO.

2. I've seen Jackson mocked anywhere from the early 2nd to the early 3rd. I think there's a realistic chance he falls here, but if I had to bet, I'd say he doesn't as well. He did in this mock that I made however, and I think he is the best fit in terms of talent and need. I do think we're going to be forced to go OL early since we lost Collins and haven't done much of anything else on the offensive line (Newhouse is nothing more than a backup).

3. I think Purifoy is a bit of a boom/bust prospect. In this scenario, I went with the Bengals gambling on upside instead of settling for a lesser but safer prospect.

4. I think most of us will agree that Murray in the 4th seems like a logical destination.

5. I think if any of the prospects I drafted don't make it to where I selected them, this is it. I think Archer will be limited in the NFL due to his size (and heightened injury risk). Because of this, I have him slipping. He could very well go in the 3rd/4th round however.

6A. I'm not really sure where Bullough goes in this draft. His year-end suspension didn't help his stock, and he'll always be limited in the NFL athletically. I've seen him going 5th-7th in most mocks, so I think he very well could slip to here.

6B. I don't think anyone had a problem here.

7A. I don't think anyone had a problem here.

7B. Armstrong is just a prospect I semi-like and is being brought in for competition. Keep in mind that most guys drafted from the 6th round onward are typically practice squad candidates.

Again, appreciate the feedback guys. Anyone else feel free to let me know what you think, love it or hate it.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purifoy just reminds me too much of Ratliff. Might be a good CB in a zone scheme, but that's not us.
Carson4MVP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Browns first 2 rounds look like this, I think they instantly jump into competing for the divisional crown. They will probably have the most talent on offense, they would just be incredibly.
theJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carson4MVP wrote:
If the Browns first 2 rounds look like this, I think they instantly jump into competing for the divisional crown. They will probably have the most talent on offense, they would just be incredibly.

From two rookies? That seems premature. They were a disaster on offense last year...

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Carson4MVP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Carson4MVP wrote:

From two rookies? That seems premature. They were a disaster on offense last year...

Sammy Watkins and Josh Gordon would instantly be the best tandem of WR's in the NFL. All they need is a QB, if they get Carr, I think that solves that issue. Plus getting one of the top OT in the draft? Yes, I would say their offensive talent would be tops in the AFCN... Defense was never an issue for them. I could certainly see them compete for the division either this year or next if the first 2 rounds fell like this.
sparky151

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tackle pick in that mock would be wasted. Cleveland seems happy with Mitchell Swartz at RT and have one of the top LTs already. They should take a CB there or maybe even Hyde.
theJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carson4MVP wrote:
theJ wrote:
Carson4MVP wrote:

Sammy Watkins and Josh Gordon would instantly be the best tandem of WR's in the NFL. All they need is a QB, if they get Carr, I think that solves that issue. Plus getting one of the top OT in the draft? Yes, I would say their offensive talent would be tops in the AFCN... Defense was never an issue for them. I could certainly see them compete for the division either this year or next if the first 2 rounds fell like this.

I mean, it's possible. That just seems rash given that 50% of first rounders are busts, and the hit rate gets worse the later you go.

If that's your opinion of those prospects, that's fine. It just doesn't scare me one bit.

IMO the Steelers and Ravens still have a better shot at righting the ship than the Browns do. They at least have proven talent on offense outside of one guy. (and let's be real here: Gordon is great, but his stats are going to regress, and he leaves a lot to be desired as a blocker)

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You addressed the right needs in the first 4 rounds which is good.

But looking at your 1st round mock, I feel there are so many better options to take at 24 than Tuitt. Dee Ford would be a much better option at DE than Tuitt. If DE wasn't a concern yet, then Jason Verrett is another guy I like. The guy I would jump on first though is Kyle Fuller. It sounds like hes a lock in the 1st round now, and I would take him for sure if he still there.
Hokie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
You addressed the right needs in the first 4 rounds which is good.

But looking at your 1st round mock, I feel there are so many better options to take at 24 than Tuitt. Dee Ford would be a much better option at DE than Tuitt. If DE wasn't a concern yet, then Jason Verrett is another guy I like. The guy I would jump on first though is Kyle Fuller. It sounds like hes a lock in the 1st round now, and I would take him for sure if he still there.

I disagree. Ford and Tuitt are two completely different prospects. Ford is a OLB/DE tweener who is 6'2, 250. Tuitt is 6'5, 305 and play both DE/DT.

I don't like either Verrett or Fuller in the 1st. Verrett's lack of size concerns me that he won't be much more than a nickel CB in the NFL, and after watching Fuller for years in Blacksburg, I think his NFL upside is limited to that of a number 2 corner.

I don't like the idea of going CB in the 1st round unless it's Gilbert or Dennard, and I doubt either slip that far. Then again, I don't view CB as the dire need that a lot of our fans apparently do. I highly doubt anyone other than Gilbert/Dennard is going to crack the top 4 of our depth chart next season (barring injury), and I think it's a waste to use a 1st round pick on a guy who will be a 5th corner as a rookie.

If we're going to reach for Roby, Verrett, or Fuller in the 1st, I hope it's Roby. He has much more upside than either of them. I don't like him either though, to be honest. A lot of red flags with him.
Carson4MVP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Carson4MVP wrote:
theJ wrote:
Carson4MVP wrote:

I mean, it's possible. That just seems rash given that 50% of first rounders are busts, and the hit rate gets worse the later you go.

If that's your opinion of those prospects, that's fine. It just doesn't scare me one bit.

IMO the Steelers and Ravens still have a better shot at righting the ship than the Browns do. They at least have proven talent on offense outside of one guy. (and let's be real here: Gordon is great, but his stats are going to regress, and he leaves a lot to be desired as a blocker)

What makes you so sure that Gordon is going to regress? He has one of the best TE's in football, will have a much more stable QB situation and a monster like Watkins across from him. Besides all of that going for him, he is in his prime. Usually players do not regress in their prime without some outside variable. In this scenario, things seem to suggest he would only get better...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: